NEW ThruNite TN12 (2016)

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hkequipment looks worth attention. Have bought several items from that seller. Not a single reason to complain.

balane

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a ThruNite TN12 2016 this morning, before reading this thread. The one I purchased is in Cool White. I hope I like it because I plan on using it a lot. I'll be upgrading from a Klarus XT10 which is going into my toolbox.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost think I would have preferred the old output levels from the 2014 model, and the lack of step down from high mode worries me.

I asked info about this particularly at ThruNite.
They responded as follows:

"TN12 2016 has internal temperature control protection. The brightness will automatically lower down when it is hot.
We still don't recommend to use turbo mode for long time"

If I understand correctly, there is a thermal sensor as in other similar products.
Probably it brings down the brightness but it turbo level remains very high (700/800 lumens ??) And it is not advisable to hold the torch Turbo level for a long time (especially in summer)

(Translate with Google Translator)

shodid

Newly Enlightened
I have the latest 2016 TN12. It's been fantastic. Easily the best value I've found in a pocket 1000 lumen. The raised button is so much easier to find in the dark than the rubber flat kind. Recommended.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought two of them (neutral tint) as a gift.
One copy was perfect, the other copy had an ugly tint I returned to amazon.
It seems a good flashlight to the price at which it is sold.
I saw that the torch body thickness is lower than similar flashlights but from other manufacturers.
The level of 370 lumens is great on excursions, it gives a lot of brightness without overheating and with 4 hours of battery life.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I returned my NW TN12 2016 for a CW version. The tint was straight up violet very annoying yet TN is taking care of me should have CW by the end of the week

D6859

Enlightened
I returned my NW TN12 2016 for a CW version. The tint was straight up violet very annoying yet TN is taking care of me should have CW by the end of the week

They seem to have some fluctuation in the tint. The first TN12 (2016) NW I got last fall had perfect tint. Unfortunately I lost it. The second one has more yellowish tint, but it's one of my favorite after Convoy S2+ with XM-L2 T6, 3B tint.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should note that ThruNite has some inconsistency with tint: my TN12 (2016) that was bought as CW happens to be the warmest of all my CW lights. If that can be measured the way: it is somewhere between R40 Seeker (CW) and S1 Ti (NW) in tint. Of course, I like it :)

D6859

Enlightened
Doesn't Cree control the tint and not Trunite?

Thrunite doesn't seem to report the colour bin that their NW version uses, so the led might be something within the range from 4000 K to 5000 K. Also I think there is some fluctuation within the led's with same same bin.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously, some time has passed since the release of the TN12 2016 edition, but I've just ordered mine (in neutral tint) from Amazon. I was pleasantly surprised by the low cost ($45 shipped). If the cost had been any higher, the missus would certainly have vetoed the purchase. I'm really looking forward to receiving it tomorrow, as I've read only good reports about it. That said, I've been a long time user of Elzetta and Malkoff lights, which are, to my mind at least, the most robust lights in the world owing to the fully potted electronics. My only experiences with Chinese made lights thus far have been with two Olights, of which one failed and the other still works. I'm hoping I don't get a lemon!!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
which version of the 2016 TN12 did you get? There is now a V2 2016 TN12. Has 100 more lumens at max and the mode spacing is different. I do not have the V2 as I already have the original TN12 and the V1 2016 TN12. The V2 really is not much of a difference to get me to buy it though. The replacement CW 2016 TN12 I got back is awesome! Tint is very well done CW. The Thrunite may not be potted but in my experience with my many Thrunite products I have never had a single technical issue. The chances of a lemon from Thrunite nowadays is pretty low. You should be fine. A high capacity protected cell is advisable. Should you have any issues with it Thrunite will take care of you.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the newer version and I'm very impressed with it. The build quality is better than I anticipated and I think rivals Surefire. And for the price? I'll have Thrunite over Surefire any day, especially since you can choose the beam tint and use an 18650. I got the neutral variant and I think the color temperature is near 5000K, which is just about perfect, IMHO. No technical issues at all. The mode spacing on this unit was very well thought out. The 400 lm mode is sufficient to almost any task, but it's nice knowing I can dial it up to 1100 lm if needed. This is my first light that features a fire fly mode and I've already found it enormously useful. I also like having the freedom to use either button top or flat top cells, owing to the excellent springs at both ends of the battery tube. The little reflector provides more throw than I imagined with lots of great spill. So far I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! Glad to hear you are happy with the light! I know I will get some flack for saying this but almost all Surefires are the most overrated lights made. The value factor with Surefire just is not there. Yes fire fly is awesome! It is your call but still advise high capacity protected cells to prevent over discharge and over heat. Thrunite has come a long way since they started selling lights. It is easy to argue that their best lights are their sub $100 lights which is most of their catalog. Should you want to try out one of their other models I cannot say enough good things about the 4xAA TN4A. I have every variant of this model in both tints. A XP-L HI TN4A will blow your mind. They have some serious throw and are true 1000+ lumen lights. In order to get advertised performance out of them you have to use 2500+mah NiMH cells though which would mean a charger that does NiMH cells plus the Eneloop Pros, which are pretty pricey but worth it. They also have fire fly. Enjoy the light OP...

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes you need to purchase a crappy light to understand how good Thrunites are :)

F6921085-1_A33-416_A-9_E02-27607_E17485_B.jpg

Thrunite TN12 (2016) CW on the right. Don't pay attention to the beam profile — the lights are not vertical.

P.S.: Yes, you see PWM on the left.

Last edited: