NEW ThruNite TN12 (2016)

D6859

Enlightened
Hope you like yours too!

Thanks! I'm quite sure I will. Don't worry about the beam comparison. I was a bit disappointed that my warm Predator wasn't what I had thought, so I hope I didn't choose NW this time to get disappointed again. I trust your word :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! I'm quite sure I will. Don't worry about the beam comparison. I was a bit disappointed that my warm Predator wasn't what I had thought, so I hope I didn't choose NW this time to get disappointed again. I trust your word :)
What is it you don't like about the warm Predator? I kind of like the warmish looking beam. Are you more into something that is less warm and quite near to neutral tint?

D6859

Enlightened
What is it you don't like about the warm Predator? I kind of like the warmish looking beam. Are you more into something that is less warm and quite near to neutral tint?

The Predator seems purple to my eye. In nature Predator brings the brown out more than my other lights, but the purple color is really notable in foggy conditions. My EagTac GX25A3 seems most pleasant warm/neutral(ish) with Olight M22 diffuser on it. I can post a beam/tint comparison in another thread.

I got the new TN12 today! DHL was quick. It was delivered one day earlier than expected. First impressions: Tint seems good. A little greenish, but better than Predator's. I like that the new model is easier to operate with one hand, but the new mode switch rattles some times. Sounds like it's going to drop any second. Mode spacing seems good in my room, but I have to test it outdoors and in real use too. I'll post a beam/tint comparison with the 2014 CW model as soon as my batteries have been charged. The new model is a little shorter than the old model. It seems that the reflector is a little shorter compared to old. I wonder if the beams are considerably different.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if there is a difference in tint from the different batches for both the Predator and the Thrunite. Mine and my friend's Predator Pro V2.5 has a nice warmish tint throughout all the outputs. No hint of any purplish tint. As for the Thrunite, I only detected a slight greenishness on the lower outputs which is fine with me. Happens to a lot of lights. On high and max it is pretty neutral. In fact it is a better tint than many of my other neutral white lights. Maybe my eyes have gotten used to the tint over time I am not sure but my copy sure is pretty close to a few of my Nichia 219A lights.

D6859

Enlightened
Here's the tint comparison. Sorry, the camera (phone) moved when I was taking the picture and my room mate came to ask wha I was doing :D
tn12_tints.jpg

The beam of the old version (left) seems weird since the freezer that I used to bounce the light mirrors it somehow odd.

Do you know demo effect? I started to explain my room mate that I got a new toy today and that I was comparing the tints. He immediately noticed the difference between these two models, but when I showed the Predator it seemed warm even to my eyes, not purple. I mentioned about the purple to him and pointed another wall and he too noticed the tint.

Here's the comparison with GX25A3 and Predator
gx25a3_predator.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks Predator seem purple / blue(r/isher) than NW should be?

D6859

Enlightened
Grml, I forgot to mention. I am afraid my sample is defect. The tail switch seems to be broken. Sometimes it only flashes when I click it. I may have to ask Thrunite to send me a new tailcap.

Edit. Clicking the tailcap about 1000 times seems to have removed the problem, but I can't trust it to work. I already contacted Thrunite asking for a new tailcap.

Edit2. And I forgot to mention my Predator is Pro v2.5 using XP-G R4 iirc.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grml, I forgot to mention. I am afraid my sample is defect. The tail switch seems to be broken. Sometimes it only flashes when I click it. I may have to ask Thrunite to send me a new tailcap.

Edit. Clicking the tailcap about 1000 times seems to have removed the problem, but I can't trust it to work. I already contacted Thrunite asking for a new tailcap.

Edit2. And I forgot to mention my Predator is Pro v2.5 using XP-G R4 iirc.
I do feel that the clicky switch seems mushy and not as robust. Not sure how reliable it will be but so far I have yet to encounter any problems other than some flickering once in awhile when half pressing for momentary. Flickering disappears when I fully click it down. I think this is normal so no issue here.

Now that you mentioned, I was looking at the beam of my Predator Pro for awhile and after that the Thrunite looks greenish. Same thing, when using the Thrunite for some time the Predator Pro looks super warm, a bit too magenta but no purple. Something to do with the way our eyes are adjusting to the colors.

D6859

Enlightened
Now that you mentioned, I was looking at the beam of my Predator Pro for awhile and after that the Thrunite looks greenish. Same thing, when using the Thrunite for some time the Predator Pro looks super warm, a bit too magenta but no purple. Something to do with the way our eyes are adjusting to the colors.

It seems to depend on the wall you're pointing the light at too. I tested both my TN12's out last night. The new has great tint, I like it. Also, Thrunite replied me that they have sent me a new tailcap and it's here in 7-20 days. The switch seemed to work this evening correctly, but I want to be 100% (or at least 95%) sure it works every time I click it. The switch in old model is better as it has more momentary-on before it clicks.

Flashy808

Enlightened
Anybody else worried about the accidental activation from the extruding side switch?? Or is it just me? :whistle:

D6859

Enlightened
Anybody else worried about the accidental activation from the extruding side switch?? Or is it just me? :whistle:

You cannot activate (as in turn on) it from side switch, since the on/off is switched by clicking the tail switch. I've noticed though that I sometimes switch the mode accidentally when turning the light off and my pinky hits the side switch just before I hit the tail switch with my thumb.

Flashy808

Enlightened
You cannot activate (as in turn on) it from side switch, since the on/off is switched by clicking the tail switch. I've noticed though that I sometimes switch the mode accidentally when turning the light off and my pinky hits the side switch just before I hit the tail switch with my thumb.

Ahhh I see, so that's what I was missing ;). I was kind of looking for a light that could also be activated from the side switch... Oh well. :)

D6859

Enlightened
Ahhh I see, so that's what I was missing ;). I was kind of looking for a light that could also be activated from the side switch... Oh well. :)

One of the main reasons I like this light is that it is activated from the tail switch. No parasitic drain and it's really hard to turn on accidentally. Also forward clicky tail switch provides easy momentary use with cigar grip, although I prefer the old switch of the 2014 model. I find tail switch more tactico--- I mean more practical than only havin a side switch.

There are several sideswitch-only operated lights out there. Look into Olight S2, S20(R) and S30(R) for example. IIRC Olight ST25 can be turned on/off from both switches.

Last edited:

Flashy808

Enlightened
One of the main reasons I like this light is that it is activated from the tail switch. No parasitic drain and it's really hard to turn on accidentally. Also forward clicky tail switch provides easy momentary use with cigar grip, although I prefer the old switch of the 2014 model. I find tail switch more tactico--- I mean more practical than only havin a side switch.

There are several sideswitch-only operated lights out there. Look into Olight S2, S20(R) and S30(R) for example. IIRC Olight ST25 can be turned on/off from both switches.

Yeah yeah yeah! I was looking for a forward rear switch because of momentary. Possibly a good night stand light because you then won't have to fiddle around with the he side switches and it always going to be in one spot.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got a NW 2016 and love it! Love the new rugged build and side switch. As for the new TC12 I already have the P12GT, TAC and new 2016 PD32 taking up my cigar tube sized 1x18650 XP-L needs quite well. Looks nice though..is Fenix really the only company capable of making this class of light with a waterproof with the USB port open design?

D6859

Enlightened
Oh, that NW TC12 looks tempting, but it seems I cannot find dealer for it yet. I've been looking for Nitecore MH12NW but it seems only a few stores are selling it. I wish I'll get better luck with TC12 later.

bdogps

Enlightened
Does anyone know if Thrunite are still selling torches from their site? I have been trying to buy a TC12 but no one is selling them that ships to Australia.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Does anyone know if Thrunite are still selling torches from their site? I have been trying to buy a TC12 but no one is selling them that ships to Australia.

Try hkequipmentnet on eBay. They have the TC12 CW and they do ship to Australia for free. Have bought from them a few times and very satisfied as shipping was fast to NZ.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that TN only actually sells through Amazon now in the US at least. I pre ordered the TN4A HI off the TN site before all the options to buy vanished. Ended up receiving it from Amazon which was strange cause I ordered the 2016 TN12 through Amazon and got it sent from TN....weird

bdogps

Enlightened
Try hkequipmentnet on eBay. They have the TC12 CW and they do ship to Australia for free. Have bought from them a few times and very satisfied as shipping was fast to NZ.

I looked for it on ebay and only one US seller is selling it for 127AUD plus 30 AUD shipping.