New USA Company Making "Banned" Lightbulbs After Getting Waiver from DOE

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Re: New USA Company Making "Banned" Lightbulbs After Getting Waiver from DOE

Lux, Am I detecting quiet undercurrents that you don't want to live in this soon-to-be Nanny State we call the U.S.A. :D

You picked right up on that, didn't you! It is already a Nanny State....but worst case scenario, I'll be dead before it really gets as ugly as it is headed for. The kids today won't know what hit them. Energy use will be the least of their concerns. Unfortunately.

JTR, we have already gone down this road previously, and we can remember your prediction result. You believe in govt. banning, forced mandates, and regulating things you think are best...at least that has been a repeating theme in almost all your paragraphs and responses. I feel in the vast majority of actions, the govt. makes things worse because they make political decisions, govt/institutional workers don't understand private economic forces, and cannot foresee complex consequences. Anyway, I made my points about this guy's company continuing to make Incandescent bulbs in USA....and that's a great contribution to the country.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

JTR, we have already gone down this road previously, and we can remember your prediction result. You believe in govt. banning, forced mandates, and regulating things you think are best...at least that has been a repeating theme in almost all your paragraphs and responses. I feel in the vast majority of actions, the govt. makes things worse because they make political decisions, govt/institutional workers don't understand private economic forces, and cannot foresee complex consequences. Anyway, I made my points about this guy's company continuing to make Incandescent bulbs in USA....and that's a great contribution to the country.
Government is only as good as the people running it. Unfortunately, we've chosen to pay our civil servants so little that government service only attracts either the incompetent or the idealistic. Idealists usually mean well but often lack practical experience to make their ideas work. Incompetents, well, that speaks for itself. We have a bunch running the country now (both parties) without the faintest idea of how science, engineering, economics, infrastructure, etc. work. Maybe if we try paying people in government enough to attract real talent, then government will in fact offer some good solutions. If nothing else, higher pay would reduce the influence of lobbying.

Another problem is people nowadays are less accepting of leaders who tell them things they don't want to hear. Sometimes things just have to be done, even though they're unpopular. People sometimes just have to accept decisions which might require sacrifice now for a better future later. In the past the average person understood this. Nowadays we just prefer to pass our problems down to our children. I too am glad I'll likely be gone before things get really ugly, except it's not a nanny state I'm envisioning. Think something closer to a Mad Max scenario.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

This is why I think the incandescent ban is a mistake. There are better technologies in the pipeline, probably just a year or two from being able to win on their own. The people who are inventing this wonderful future for us are going as fast as they can, because hey -- they want to get rich. We can't legislate them into inventing faster. On the contrary: by banning their most cost-effective competition, we reduce the market pressure to lower cost, thus ensuring that both CFL and LED will be artificially expensive.
There is no incandescent ban right now. You can still legally buy halogen incandescents which do the exact same thing as the bulbs they replace, but use less power. The real ban isn't until 2020, when the minimum 45 lm/W provision kicks in. By then LEDs will easily have already taken over the marketplace.

As for costs, don't LED bulb makers still have to compete amongst themselves? That will certainly drive prices down to the bare minimum, even in the absence of low-cost incandescents. Now if there was only one LED bulb maker, your prediction would be spot on. Also, while I want there to be some downward pressure on prices, there shouldn't be so much that quality suffers. This has already happened with CFLs. You just can't make a reliable CFL for a buck, regardless of where they're made. I personally hope we never see $1 LED bulbs as I'm sure they will be complete garbage. I do think we can eventually bring the price down under $5 which is good enough. Nobody is going to replace every bulb in their house at once. They'll probably buy them as the old lamps die. $5 once or twice a month won't break the bank. Once all the bulbs are LED, then the replacement cycle might be one bulb every year or two.

Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened
Government is only as good as the people running it. Unfortunately, we've chosen to pay our civil servants so little that government service only attracts either the incompetent or the idealistic.

Actually, just the opposite: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-03-04-federal-pay_N.htm

Public sector workers are paid considerably more than their private sector counterparts.

What you say used to be true, but the advent of public sector unions really changed the dynamic. In the private sector, unions argue for higher pay while management tries to minimize costs. In the public sector, unions argue for higher pay while their political managers... also argue for higher pay, because it's not their money.

flashflood

Enlightened
There is no incandescent ban right now. You can still legally buy halogen incandescents which do the exact same thing as the bulbs they replace, but use less power. The real ban isn't until 2020, when the minimum 45 lm/W provision kicks in. By then LEDs will easily have already taken over the marketplace.

As for costs, don't LED bulb makers still have to compete amongst themselves? That will certainly drive prices down to the bare minimum, even in the absence of low-cost incandescents. Now if there was only one LED bulb maker, your prediction would be spot on. Also, while I want there to be some downward pressure on prices, there shouldn't be so much that quality suffers. This has already happened with CFLs. You just can't make a reliable CFL for a buck, regardless of where they're made. I personally hope we never see $1 LED bulbs as I'm sure they will be complete garbage. I do think we can eventually bring the price down under $5 which is good enough. Nobody is going to replace every bulb in their house at once. They'll probably buy them as the old lamps die. $5 once or twice a month won't break the bank. Once all the bulbs are LED, then the replacement cycle might be one bulb every year or two.

I wouldn't worry about $1 LED bulbs ruining the party. Those will be the budget bulbs, but you'll still have standard and premium and luxury bulbs. That's the beauty of the free market: you can choose to pay more for things you value, and pay less for things you don't value. I will pay a small fortune for exotic flashlights. I won't pay squat for shoes. And that's OK.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

Actually, just the opposite: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-03-04-federal-pay_N.htm

Public sector workers are paid considerably more than their private sector counterparts.

What you say used to be true, but the advent of public sector unions really changed the dynamic. In the private sector, unions argue for higher pay while management tries to minimize costs. In the public sector, unions argue for higher pay while their political managers... also argue for higher pay, because it's not their money.
I'm not talking about the grunt workers here, but their leaders. The union workers don't make policy, their leaders do. What we pay Congressmen and the President, for example, is a pittance compared to leadership positions in private industry.

flashflood

Enlightened
What we pay Congressmen and the President, for example, is a pittance compared to leadership positions in private industry.

That I agree with, and it's bad policy. All of the money is in lobbying/consulting after you leave.

We would almost be better off if we just changed congressional and presidential pay to a one-time payment of a billion dollars. You get half the money the day you start, and the other half the day you leave. These people would be impossible to bribe, and would have no reason to stick around for 20 years other than a genuine passion for public service.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love that on a forum dedicated to finding the next best light and buying it (a fine example of consumerism) certain participants still feel they can preach about environmental issues.

Obviously we should all be considering the impact of our life choices on the environment for future generations, in which case we should all start by agreeing only to buy another light when the environmental impact can be justified by increased efficiency or the last one has broken.

Anyone here happy to pledge not to buy another light until all the lights they have are broken, or until a new LED is developed that is powered by ambient heat energy and doesn't need a battery at all? ;-)

Tongue firmly in cheek ;-)

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

The more flashlights I own, the less in the landfill. And they are all made of recyclable aluminum too :eek:)

It appears this thread went to the back with a posting date from CKOD of 03-12-2008, 01:31 PM, and showing as the first post. I don't really have anything else to say, just wondered what happened to the thread. Maybe this is done to bury threads, rather than lock or delete them? It seemed this was remaining civilized, but who knows.

Thanks for everyone's input.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
These bulbs are rated for 100 watts and 10,000 hours at 130 volts, they will run at 89 watts at 120 volts with a loss of output and efficiency, but with an INCREASE in life.

An important note about the low energy halogen lamps, if you buy the Sylvania ones, they are made in St. Mary's, Pennsylvania, USA.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

While we're on that subject, I don't understand why brand new apartment buildings still have openings for individual air conditioners. It would be far more efficient (and probably cost effective) to have a single geothermal heat pump unit handle heating and cooling of the entire building. Each apartment would have a thermostat in each room which simply opens and closes the appropriate vents to heat or cool to the desired temperature. From an aesthetic standpoint, it would look a heck of lot nicer as well not having walls full of rectangular holes. If we're going to legislate anything, then legislate away stand alone AC units in places where they really don't make much sense. Start with new construction first, and then move on to require retrofitting of older apartment buildings (where practical-I realize some buildings would cost more to retrofit than would be worthwhile).

lol, on paper may be.

i'am a building engeneer with about 15 years of experience working in different kind of buildings.
if anything central ac\heat is not practical\efficient in med to large appt buildings, that is why you don't see many. (not central water or steam heaters)
if anything it would be chillers with heat\cold coils inside appt, work a lot better than single evaparator with ducts thru entire building. but they are still not as practical\flexible as individual units.

as for legeslations, i couldn't dissagree more, if anything they shouldn't legestlate what ac unit me as a builder\owner\tenant chose to install.

so far most if not all legeslations created more problems that they were made to solve.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic

lol, on paper may be.

i'am a building engeneer with about 15 years of experience working in different kind of buildings.
if anything central ac\heat is not practical\efficient in med to large appt buildings, that is why you don't see many. (not central water or steam heaters)
if anything it would be chillers with heat\cold coils inside appt, work a lot better than single evaparator with ducts thru entire building. but they are still not as practical\flexible as individual units.

as for legeslations, i couldn't dissagree more, if anything they shouldn't legestlate what ac unit me as a builder\owner\tenant chose to install.

so far most if not all legeslations created more problems that they were made to solve.
Why then is central AC/heat practical on office buildings but not apartment buildings? Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems a central geothermal unit with either air ducts or fluid pipes for distribution would be a lot better than a bunch of individual units. The individual units can only exchange waste heat to ambient air, not the ground which usually colder in summer/warmer in winter. That's a big inefficiency right there. And then smaller units are always less efficient than larger ones owing to proportionately larger mechanical losses. I would think the bottom line would favor centralized climate control, as seems to be the case in office buildings.

On another note, with better building design the need for climate control could be greatly reduced, without giving up one bit of comfort or convenience.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

These bulbs are rated for 100 watts and 10,000 hours at 130 volts, they will run at 89 watts at 120 volts with a loss of output and efficiency, but with an INCREASE in life.

An important note about the low energy halogen lamps, if you buy the Sylvania ones, they are made in St. Mary's, Pennsylvania, USA.

In the interest of fairness, doing the same test with these Newtronics bulbs that I did with the 20,000hr ones from Litetronics did give worse results. From previous post:

Seasonic Volt-Amp-Watt-Hz-KWH measuring display. The 750Hr GE bulb I was using registered 122.2V & 101 Watts. The LiteTronics (listed on box as 120V) 20,000Hr bulb registered 122.3V & 102Watts. Same energy being used with an adequate amount of white light coming from fixture.

These Newtronics 100W bulbs are listed on box as 130V 10,000Hrs, and when plugged into the same lamp and watt measuring device, reports 91W at 121.4V, and is not as white as either the 750 Hr GE general use or the LiteTronics bulb. It's not a sickly yellow as JTR likes to categorize all the incan bulbs of his youth, but it is a lesser output. The Litetronics is made in India. Both have 7 support strands to qualify for the rough service designation. Put in an overhead bank of lights, still performs fine.

Why then is central AC/heat practical on office buildings but not apartment buildings? Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems a central geothermal unit with either air ducts or fluid pipes for distribution would be a lot better than a bunch of individual units. The individual units can only exchange waste heat to ambient air, not the ground which usually colder in summer/warmer in winter. That's a big inefficiency right there. And then smaller units are always less efficient than larger ones owing to proportionately larger mechanical losses. I would think the bottom line would favor centralized climate control, as seems to be the case in office buildings.

On another note, with better building design the need for climate control could be greatly reduced, without giving up one bit of comfort or convenience.

While this is completely off topic, what the hell's the difference among friends. I don't know what newer designed central building HVAC geothermal pumps have available in terms of variations in practical function, but I do know that the 3 Mitsubishi Mr. Slim units that are piped into the one outside "heat pump" can work as a heater or A/C, by changing the remote wand settings for each room. I know it has dramatically lowered my overall AC monthly charges.

One problem I could forsee if a geothermal pump works the same way as these Mitsubishi's which would cause a problem in apartment units...is that if one room is being used for heating, you cannot have another room used for A/C. The outside pump needs a "buffer" time before it can switchover from being a heat pump to a cooling pump function (I was told it just reverses the flow). You may think this is a completely illogical and irrelevant problem, but there have been times during the change of seasons where we had not yet brought our separate hot water iron baseboard heating system up online for winter, or turned off in spring. Because of doing physical exercise and/or sun warming sides, I needed the A/C function, but on the other side of the house, sitting in her office, my wife wanted heat. The problem had to be resolved with an electrical space heater.

Then there is also a total BTU cooling/heating output per unit...and if you are one of those people like me that want it REALLY cold, depending on how low I set the temp, it will steal cooling from other air handling units. If all units are all set to really cool, you can max out the BTU's which are typically inadequately matched for more aggressive use to save equipment costs...and collectively, individual apartment users are not going to be happy--especially if they find that several units are hogging all the cooling.

Again, I don't know how the type of things you are talking about work, or if they have capabilities to address these individual desires/issues, but I have lived in school dorms, Navy housing, etc, where there was one setting for all. Even in offices I have worked in with central air, it was impossible to get the right A/C to suit individual needs depending how far from the output source the rooms were, and personal preferences. We would go through all these never ending gymnastics of getting the HVAC guys out to clean/replace filters, rebalance the vent openings, yada yada yada....it was never right. We even found that some employees climbed up on a chair and manually opened up the vents for their work areas to increase cooling.

Govt. and theoretical planners like to assume they know all the answers, and people are ignorant lemmings, and will take what they are given, and be told to smile about it. That was how things worked in the Navy, or college dorms, but no one liked it. You and your link are demonstrating some of that same attitude, and none of those "we know best types" seem to have even the remotest idea why such a wonderfully thought out and efficient practical idea could ever "torque" someone off who doesn't agree with them. That is the heart of the light bulb and toilet examples....people are ignorant=we need to decide for them and regulate/ban their way to Lemming Nirvana (aka: The Cliffs of Dover).

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic

One problem I could forsee if a geothermal pump works the same way as these which would cause a problem in apartment units...is that if one room is being used for heating, you cannot have another room used for A/C. The outside pump needs a "buffer" time before it can switchover from being a heat pump to a cooling pump function. There have been a few times during the change of seasons where we had not yet brought our separate hot water iron baseboard heating system up online for winter yet, and because of physical exercise and/or sun warming a side, I needed the A/C function, but on the other side of the house, sitting in her office, she wanted heat. The problem had to be resolved with an electrical space heater.
I know some office buildings mix air from hot and cold ducts to obtain the desired temperature, similar to mixing hot and cold water. The problem is how to obtain heat when the unit is set to cool, and vice versa. I would imagine the solution is resistance heating during times when the unit would be cooling, but a few people might want heat. In winters to cool while the unit is heating you could just draw in ambient air.

Then there is also a total BTU cooling/heating output per unit...and if you are one of those people like me that want it REALLY cold, depending on how low I set the temp, it will steal cooling from other air handling units...if they are all set real low, you can max out the BTU's which are typically inadequately matched with aggressive use to save equipment costs. Again, I don't know how the type of things you are talking about would address these individual issues, but I have lived in school dorms, Navy housing, etc, where there was one setting. Even in offices I have worked in with central air, it was impossible to get the right A/C to suit individual needs depending how far from the output source the rooms were, and personal preferences.
Distribute fluid heated or cooled by the central unit via pipes, have a heat exchanger for each zone where the fan speed controls how much heating and cooling you have. This is the same in principal as the system you have. As far as getting the right temperatures, honestly, individual A/C units mostly stink. They cycle on and off, so you alternate between freezing and sweating, instead of adjusting compressor speed and fan flow to maintain a steady temperature. Oh, and I like it cold myself in summers, sometimes 55°F.

Govt. and theoretical planners like to assume they know all the answers, and people are ignorant lemmings, and will take what they are given, and be told to smile about it. That was how things worked in the Navy, or college dorms, but no one liked it. You and your link are demonstrating some of that same attitude, and none of those "we know best types" seem to have even the remotest idea why such a wonderfully thought out and efficient practical idea could ever "torque" someone off who doesn't agree with them. That is the heart of the light bulb and toilet examples....people are ignorant=we need to decide for them and regulate/ban their way to Lemming Nirvana (aka: The Cliffs of Dover).
The problem is when you have people in government making policy on subjects they're just not knowledgeable about. That begets bad policy, which in turn results in people hating government interference. Any legislation involving technical matters should be vetted first through appropriate experts to see if in fact what the legislation seeks to do is technically possible. As far as I know, that's rarely done. And almost invariably those in charge in the military and college dorms are morons on a power trip. Same with most politicians. The problem is the selection process discourages anyone with a shred of common sense or brains.

The situation you describe about people being ignorant lemmings and accepting what they are given pretty much describes what often happens in the absence of standards or regulation. Companies produce whichever products give them the most profit, regardless of whether or not better products exist. End result-many potentially wonderful things are never made, not because they're not profitable, but because they're less profitable than something else. Most people won't know about the better product. Those who might demand it by boycotting an inferior product just don't exist in large enough numbers.

No, we don't need to decide HOW people live, but I feel we should always use the least resource intensive means to achieve any given standard of living, even to the point of prohibiting less efficient alternatives if the better solution is functionally equivalent, or nearly so. My reason is because resources are finite and humanity shows no signs of reducing our numbers in the near future. I do loathe forcing people to use decidedly inferior solutions in the interests of efficiency. The irony is our profit-driven economy does something nearly the same-forcing people to use decidedly inferior solutions in the interests of profit. Just an observation.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

The situation you describe about people being ignorant lemmings and accepting what they are given pretty much describes what often happens in the absence of standards or regulation. Companies produce whichever products give them the most profit, regardless of whether or not better products exist. End result-many potentially wonderful things are never made, not because they're not profitable, but because they're less profitable than something else. Most people won't know about the better product. Those who might demand it by boycotting an inferior product just don't exist in large enough numbers.

No, we don't need to decide HOW people live, but I feel we should always use the least resource intensive means to achieve any given standard of living, even to the point of prohibiting less efficient alternatives if the better solution is functionally equivalent, or nearly so. My reason is because resources are finite and humanity shows no signs of reducing our numbers in the near future. I do loathe forcing people to use decidedly inferior solutions in the interests of efficiency. The irony is our profit-driven economy does something nearly the same-forcing people to use decidedly inferior solutions in the interests of profit. Just an observation.

There is a complex interplay of having an idea or accidental discovery, creating an optimal design, understanding financial viability, finding a motivated producer, interested buyers, mastering competitive forces, ensuring ongoing adjustments and quality assurance repairs/service, buckets of patience, persistence, and tolerance for failure that all enter into the multitude of products used, and the way we live our lives.

You misinterpreted the last paragraph of my previous post, and you may wish to pause and notice how/why you read it the way you did. I did not say that people are ignorant lemmings. I said:

Govt. and theoretical planners like to assume they know all the answers, and people are ignorant lemmings, and will take what they are given, and be told to smile about it.

I do not believe people are fundamentally ignorant, or lemmings. However, that is frequently the assumption and justification when standards or regulations are imposed. Let's go back to the light bulb. For thousands of years, everyone was running around using candles, oil lamps, or torches despite their obvious fire hazards. Along comes Edison and develops a light bulb and electrical delivery systems (I won't get into who actually invented it).

To follow your logic, the only way Edison could have succeeded was if governments phased out, then banned all fire based sources of illumination--following their typical assumption that people are too ignorant to start using light bulbs when candles and oil lamps are so familiar, cheap, and in front of them at the country store. Edison's brilliance was not from "inventing" the light bulb, but presenting & packaging it as something people would want instead of what they already had. He created the market and a demand that had bulbs fly out the factories as fast as they could be made.

Ford did it with the assembly line and Model T's--horses did not have to be banned. LED's have done that with hand held lights--small flashlight incan bulbs did not need to be banned. Apple has done it with many of their products--Sony's Walkman, IBM/Microsoft's PC, other cellphones did not need to be banned. Sanyo has done it with eneloops--alkalines don't need to be banned. Successful companies do not view consumers as ignorant lemmings. Rather, they find ways to educate and entice them into using their new products.

No, we don't need to decide HOW people live, but I feel we should always use the least resource intensive means to achieve any given standard of living, even to the point of prohibiting less efficient alternatives if the better solution is functionally equivalent, or nearly so.

Your sentence is in conflict with itself, and at the heart of my points. I don't know if you can see it. I suspect the logic of your justifications (efficiency, finite resources, profit limitations) is obscuring your ability to understand fundamental human nature--specifically the desire for freedom. Given the rate of population growth, there will never be adequate resources going forward--no matter how much more conservation is employed.

I recognize this is all a very complex, multifaceted series of issues, and that some degree of government intervention at various levels is required and useful for a civil society. To flush it all out properly, you would need to write many books on all the nuances. I'm really only addressing the fundamental issue of individual freedom, free choice, and enrolling people in new products and behaviors as the preferred approach when reasonable...rather than the more common use of force, mandates, threats, penalties, bans, more laws, etc.

Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened

Well said Lux. It is indeed a difficult balance to strike. I forget who said this, but it's on point: "Liberals and conservatives agree that government is a necessary evil. The only difference is that liberals worry more about the necessary, and conservatives worry more about the evil."

One quibble: you observed that "Given the rate of population growth, there will never be adequate resources going forward--no matter how much more conservation is employed." That seems intuitive, but in fact our planet-wide collective wealth (as measured by something one can't fake: life expectancy) has grown faster than the population for several centuries thanks to technology. Some of these effects are obvious -- better mining technology gets you more metal ores, and more efficient manufacturing produces the same item while consuming fewer resources. But others are population-scale effects that are almost always overlooked. For example, computers make all sorts of tasks more efficient; but only a vast population can produce computers, because so many specialized skills are needed, and the fixed cost of building a CPU is so high (a new fab costs $5-10 billion) that the economics don't work unless you can sell millions of them.

I think it's a very hard concept to grasp at a gut level. It's easy to think of seven billion mouths to feed, and to view that as an enormous burden. (It is.) It is much harder to conceptualize seven billion people, each one (or most, anyway) producing more value than he/she consumes, by engaging in a million different activities, and somehow all of this adding up to a civilization that can not only feed itself, but create sculpture and poetry and iPhones, and can explore the smallest particles of matter and the farthest reaches of space and time.

How complex is the global economy? Consider this: the number of people on earth (roughly 10^10) is comparable to the number of neurons in the human brain (10^11). And the number of people you interact with economically over the course of a day (at least hundreds -- consider every ad you see, article you read, etc) is comparable to the number of synapses per neuron (about 7,000). Even if you assume that each person's economic behavior is no more complex than about 10 neurons, this suggests that the global economy is just as complex as the human brain -- and that, like consciousness, the economy at this scale is an emergent phenomenon.

[Which suggests humility. When we debate the merits of "stimulus" versus tax cuts, it's something like debating electroshock versus thorazine. A blunt instrument either way, and we're kidding ourselves when we pretend to understand precisely how this will affect the patient. We could use a little more Hippocratic Oath in our governance. By all means, try to heal the sick -- but if it doesn't work, recall FDR's admonition to admit it frankly and try something else. Don't just double the voltage until you get a response.]

jtr1962

Flashaholic

You misinterpreted the last paragraph of my previous post, and you may wish to pause and notice how/why you read it the way you did. I did not say that people are ignorant lemmings.
You didn't say it, but based on 49+ years of living I'd say it's a pretty reasonable assumption with the current state of education that the majority of people are incapable of any kind of rational thought on any number of complex subjects. In other words, when certain things become too complex for the average poorly educated person to deal with, it's necessary to have people with more knowledge making at least some of the choices. It's also sometimes necessary to disincentivize really poor choices which might happen to also be really profitable for companies (i.e. I might have taxed incandescents just enough to achieve cost parity with CFLs, as opposed to banning them outright). The fact that this is sometimes done poorly doesn't negate the validity of this line of thinking. At the very least, I feel people should be fully informed of the consequences of the poorer choice, as we already currently do with the numerous warnings on packs of cigarettes. You could do something similar on packages of alkalines informing people of LSD NiMH. You could have TCO analysis of CFL or LED bulbs on packs of incandescents, etc. I don't object to people coming to a decision when they're fully informed. I do object to people making bad choices solely because information on better choices isn't readily available, or the negatives of the poorer choice are papered over with clever advertising. In a perfect world where everyone received a great education, you would probably be right-people would be capable of making informed choices. Sad to say, large numbers of people can't even compose a coherent sentence.

I do not believe people are fundamentally ignorant, or lemmings. However, that is frequently the assumption and justification when standards or regulations are imposed. Let's go back to the light bulb. For thousands of years, everyone was running around using candles, oil lamps, or torches despite their obvious fire hazards. Along comes Edison and develops a light bulb and electrical delivery systems (I won't get into who actually invented it).

To follow your logic, the only way Edison could have succeeded was if governments phased out, then banned all fire based sources of illumination--following their typical assumption that people are too ignorant to start using light bulbs when candles and oil lamps are so familiar, cheap, and in front of them at the country store. Edison's brilliance was not from "inventing" the light bulb, but presenting & packaging it as something people would want instead of what they already had. He created the market and a demand that had bulbs fly out the factories as fast as they could be made.

Ford did it with the assembly line and Model T's--horses did not have to be banned. LED's have done that with hand held lights--small flashlight incan bulbs did not need to be banned. Apple has done it with many of their products--Sony's Walkman, IBM/Microsoft's PC, other cellphones did not need to be banned. Sanyo has done it with eneloops--alkalines don't need to be banned. Successful companies do not view consumers as ignorant lemmings. Rather, they find ways to educate and entice them into using their new products.
The key thing here is in every single case the new item was better than what it replaced by any reasonable measure. Same thing happened in the railroading world when diesel locomotives replaced steam, and later when diesels were largely replaced by electrics, except on lightly used lines where the investment in stringing up wire wasn't justified. In some cases the adoption of the better alternative was sped up with government help. If the government hadn't built smooth roads (which incidentally were first built for bicycles), then the auto may not have been as successful (I could argue that the commercial success of autos has been largely bad overall for society but let's save that for another time). In the case of incandescents, by imposing a time limit on their use, the government effectively sped up the adoption of LEDs. Without a "guaranteed" market by 2020, do you think private enterprise would have invested the money needed to advance LED efficiency, and even color quality, as fast as it did? I know we're jaded by this stuff, but really it's amazing when you think about how white LEDs have increased in efficiency tenfold over the last decade. I'm sure this might have happened eventually without government legislation, but I'll bet it would have taken 25 years instead of 10. The fact that LED has largely supplemented incandescent in our flashlight world is mostly of spinoff of larger government policy towards solid state general lighting.

I bold-faced the part about Sanyo and Eneloops because this illustrates one of my points perfectly. Here we have a product which many in the know, including me, and it seems you, agree makes alkalines obsolete, yet I'm still seeing shelves full of alkalines in stores, along with Energizer bunny commercials. My speculation as to why is outside of rarified circles like CPF, people just don't know about Eneloops. Add in the fact that if I see rechargeables in a store at all, they're generally in a hidden corner, and they're never the LSD type. I can understand why all this is done from a profit motive perspective. I can't understand why it's not required to at least put information on LSD NiMH right on packs of alkaline batteries. In world full of informed people, none of this would be needed. Alkalines would have died out already. Sadly, this isn't the world we live in.

Your sentence is in conflict with itself, and at the heart of my points. I don't know if you can see it. I suspect the logic of your justifications (efficiency, finite resources, profit limitations) is obscuring your ability to understand fundamental human nature--specifically the desire for freedom. Given the rate of population growth, there will never be adequate resources going forward--no matter how much more conservation is employed.
No, I agree as things stand, we're going to run into a resource problem sooner or later. I'm hoping that conservation measures simply buy us enough time to come up with some sort of technological solution (and flashflood also seems to agree that technology could save us in the end). At the heart of everything is energy. You can recycle resources given enough energy. You can artificially grow all the food you need in 100 story vertical farms given enough energy. You can even mine asteroids given enough energy. If you had to ask me, I'd say it's critical for mankind's survival that we develop commercially viable fusion sometime in the next 50 years. I'm just toying with some ideas to keep us from going to war over resources before then.

I recognize this is all a very complex, multifaceted series of issues, and that some degree of government intervention at various levels is required and useful for a civil society. To flush it all out properly, you would need to write many books on all the nuances. I'm really only addressing the fundamental issue of individual freedom, free choice, and enrolling people in new products and behaviors as the preferred approach when reasonable...rather than the more common use of force, mandates, threats, penalties, bans, more laws, etc.
Thank you for at least acknowledging that some level of government intervention is needed and useful. We can argue all day about how much but that's not the point. The point is a world where companies are free to do as they wish, and individuals are totally unconstrained in their choices, isn't a world either of us would want to live in.

Really, in the end, I'm more for the use of education to influence choices than force. Force should only be used as a last resort, and then only when the end goal is important enough to the smooth functioning of society to justify it. As for how this applies to the topic at hand, I feel accelerating the adoption of solid-state lighting is a worthy goal for many reasons but the legislation could have been a little better. What the government got wrong here was its utter failure to educate the larger populace on the rational behind the ban. All people are seeing is they can't buy their light bulbs any more. If maybe they knew about the fragile state of the grid, pollution from power plants (not just the CO2 GW proponents harp on), plus the consequences of failing to reduce power usage, then many people might voluntary switch to alternatives. Also, it really helps when stores display their bulbs lit up.

Oh, and both Lux and flashflood-great posts!

flashflood

Enlightened

Oh, and both Lux and flashflood-great posts!

Ditto! :devil:

You're spot on about energy: with unlimited clean energy, all kinds of crazy things become possible. Like making elements from scratch.

When I was a kid, I planned to grow up to be a physicist working on nuclear fusion. But along the way I fell in love with pure mathematics, and then tripped over computer programming and fell in love even harder. Nothing would make me happier than to see one of the fusion efforts succeed, but I'm not sanguine about it. Around 1980 I read about the early tokamaks in Scientific American. After three decades of nothing but failure, what is the ITER project building? A much bigger, much more expensive tokamak. Just to break even. There is no pathway from this technology vector to mass production of small, affordable reactors. It's a giant waste of time. I am much more hopeful that one of the smaller efforts, like polywell, will pan out. But I'd still put that in the "hope" bucket, not the "plan" bucket.

Over the next century, the most promising thing I've seen is thorium-based nuclear reactors. They have a lot of nice properties, the most important being that they are subcritical -- they only work when supplied with an external neutron beam -- so they can't melt down. They also don't use, or produce, anything that you can make an atomic bomb out of, and thorium is more plentiful than uranium. If you're interested in the topic, here's a place to start:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...nd-China-is-leading-the-way-with-thorium.html

Lux, jtr -- in some small way, this thread gives me hope. People with different assumptions and worldviews can still conduct civil debate and find common ground. More common ground than perhaps they expected. Good! I am so weary of the current dynamic: "I have an idea for how to solve world hunger." "Oh, really? Please tell me more -- is it a liberal idea or a conservative idea? I have to know that first so I know whether to mindlessly support it or mindlessly oppose it." Enough!

budynabuick

Enlightened

Do not mean to go OT, but as FYI, none of your post"s are being counted.

Keith
Just checked and mine was counted. Mine are counting every other one.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned

Funny comparison as the "Reveal" bulbs do not have a true incandescent spectrum but a color enhanced spectrum .... actually blue shifted. They are filtered .... just like those annoying halogen headlights with the blue filters on them that actually reduce the output considerably as do the Reveal bulbs. Your rough service bulb and the reveal bulb will look completely different. The Reveal is noticeably bluer. To "accurately" compare your 100W rough service bulb, you should be comparing to a 75W incandescent which will be the same output and/or 50W halogen.

Lux, who is going to finance the new power plants and distribution systems to support your inefficient lighting? Are you going to explain to my grand kids our lack of tough choices for their higher levels of flooding, severe climate changes, etc? For every one of your experts who denies human driven climate change, I can counter with 20 that can show it is real. And it is not just pure climate change but the real effects of pumping so much CO2 into the atmosphere. Unfortunately, it is the short sited nature that keeps building cheap coal plants instead of climate safe and far less polluting nuclear plants.