New USA Company Making "Banned" Lightbulbs After Getting Waiver from DOE

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: New USA Company Making "Banned" Lightbulbs After Getting Waiver from DOE

Moving this to the Cafe. This thread is more editorial/opionated than a discussion about fixed lighting per se.

Bill

cdrake261

Enlightened

Gotta love American ingenuity.....heard about this listening to Rush today here who interviewed the owner and new advertiser of his show.

Basically, the "heavy duty" long life bulbs (lasting 10,000 hrs) are in a separate category called "Rough Duty" that were not the "General Use" ones banned by the bogus green energy law. These were the only ones worth buying in the first place, since they last 7 years if you use them an average of 4 hours every day. I had stocked up on a boatload of the 20,000 life bulbs that were made in China.

This guy (& his company-"NewCandescent") had to get a waiver from the DOE to manufacture these which he got, and is doing in the USA. I don't need any more bulbs, but I bought a dozen just to show my support.

This made me very happy today.

Edit: I saw the link to Rush requires you to be a subscriber, so for those unfortunate souls who are not members, there was also an article in the NY Post about this inventor and rescue of our beloved incandescent bulbs. His grandfather was friends with Edison. When GE stopped making their incan bulbs, and shifted to producing CFL's in China, Larry Birnbaum, founder and owner of Epic Light Bulbs, bought their equipment. Brilliant move....literally.

What can you say, he's a bright guy!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Lux, time for some education for you [clipped in the interest of brevity]

You made some good points. I don't want to spend the time answering all of them since it won't make any difference to either of us anyway.

I did want to post this interesting story that showed up on today's Drudge Report, given his stature. http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/22/green-drivel