New warm white LED lights at Lowes

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd wait for the UL approval (or ULC/CSA in Canada) on the
AC/USB sockets.

UBS port rating 5v/600mA appears to be for both ports, which
means 5v/300mA or 1.5W per port; not very much for serious
lighting. It would power a small lantern/spotlight with 20 5mm
LEDs, or equivalent, per port, or a 1W single-emitter lamp.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good start, with some cautions.

As pointed out, standby power could add up from these "phantom
loads". Wallplug switching convertors I have vary; some 12v run warm
with no load and consume 2-3W, equivalent to iron-core transformer
equivalents. Product in question claims to be good in this regard. One
of my 5v/300mA USB charger shows 0W on my UPM power
meter; hey...free power! Seriously, it is below 1W, how far not known
at present, sort of like the $1.87 string of red LED Xmas lights.

My impression is, fixed 5v is far from optimal for LED lighting, especially
multiple high-power emitters. Series constant-current drive looks most
efficient.

Dave

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been burning two 27", one 18", and a set of 3 puck lights in my office for several years now. No issues.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
For cabinet strip lighting, there are not really any great options. I bought a xenon strip, since color rendering is important to me, and the packaging claimed "brilliant white light". In actuality, the light is rather dull and yellowish, probably because each xenon capsule is only 20 watts. Perhaps they actually meant "whiter colored light than comparable small-sized incandescent lighting". For lower wattages of bulbs, xenon increases the efficiency more, which is probably why it was used here.

LED strip lighting is very expensive right now, and it does not have many lumens. Granted, LEDs are ideal for this application because of their small size and directional emission of light, but I just cannot justify the cost.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
For cabinet strip lighting, there are not really any great options. I bought a xenon strip, since color rendering is important to me, and the packaging claimed "brilliant white light". In actuality, the light is rather dull and yellowish, probably because each xenon capsule is only 20 watts. Perhaps they actually meant "whiter colored light than comparable small-sized incandescent lighting". For lower wattages of bulbs, xenon increases the efficiency more, which is probably why it was used here.

LED strip lighting is very expensive right now, and it does not have many lumens. Granted, LEDs are ideal for this application because of their small size and directional emission of light, but I just cannot justify the cost.

If you take a light on the blackbody and add blue you will get a light "pulled" towards the blue and below the blackbody curve ... Something purplish ...