Newbie Questions - Military Deployment

mrvilla

Newly Enlightened
Generalized Newbie Help

So I'm getting ready to go back to Afghanistan with the US Army. Last time I was there, there was a situation where having a great flashlight possibly contributed to saving lives. The importance of very bright illumination with other factors (the whiteness of the light seemed to help see things) made a deep impression on everybody involved in the incident.

The "great" flashlight was a Gerber TX 3.0. As I've looked around in this forum, I've learned that this flashlight is not nearly as advanced as we all thought it was. But it was the best flashlight we had that day and far better than half a dozen other models on the scene. After the event, every member of the unit purchased one or more Gerbers. The brightness, toughness, ability to take batteries that commonly in military inventory, and non-roll characteristics of the light were key. I just wish it had a lanyard attachment like a few other flashlights have… But damn, I love that Gerber.

Anyway, so I came to this forum and was amazed at the depth of knowledge and information. Even though I spent a few hours reading this forum, I developed the proverbial 'just enough knowledge to be dangerous.'

Based on the reviews I've read here and a few guesses....I ordered the following lights yesterday.

++++++++++

PayPal Shopping Cart Contents

Item Name: Romisen RC-T5 4-Cree 3-Mode LED Flashlight with Holster (4xCR123A / 2x18650)
Item Number:10451
Quantity: 1
Total: $49.29 USD

Item Name:
UltraFire C2 Cree Q5 LED 1-Mode Flashlight (2xCR123A)
Item Number: 9631
Total: $26.16 USD

Item Name: Conqueror M-C1 Cree Q5 5-Mode LED Flashlight (18650)
Item Number: 10367
Total: $34.90 USD

Item Name: Ultrafire C2 3W Cree 2xCR123A 1x18650 Flahslight Black CREE
Item Number: 1446
Total: $22.23 USD

Item Name: UltraFire 3.0V/3.6V CR123A Charger LITTSVIK
Item Number: 1236
Total: $11.43 USD

Item Name: Romisen RC-F4 GITD Cree Flashlight Black (3V~8V)
Item Number: 3386
Total: $14.60 USD

Item Name: Registered Air Mail ##
Item Number: 0
Total: $1.70 USD

Cart Subtotal: $160.31 USD
Sales Tax:
Cart Total: $160.31 USD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I read a little more, and now I think I may have ordered the wrong lights.

I put in a request to cancel this order with dealextreme.com (do they have a US phone #?). I made the order less than 12 hours ago – so they may be able to accommodate me. I'd like to order the best lights for my situation.

I want cheap (they get beat up, possibly lost or stolen…), bright (the standard Army flashlight is pathetic), dustproof lights that can be used for hours at a time.

With a little reading on this forum, it's the last part that is in question in my mind.

Can I use these lights for hours at a time without excessive heat? Will I go through batteries quickly? How many times can you recharge batteries? Will they be as bright after many rechargings? What does CREE mean really? Am I better served with a different type of light?

I know I could read and read and get all the answers eventually, but I'm short on time and I'm hoping the expertise in this forum can steer me in the right direction.

Thank you.

:thanks:

45306_b1.jpg

Last edited:

mrvilla

Newly Enlightened
I also meant to get lights that all took the same batteries.

I'm not sure I did that right either. UUgghhh.

Thank you again for any assistance.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Do you mean DealExtreme? Yes, you can cancel. If you go the account page, on the left side there is an option to cancel the order
http://www.dealextreme.com/accounts/default.dx

Cree is the brand of LED used, which is one of the most efficient LED's out there right now.

Quick question, most servicemen have access to freely provided CR123 cells, do you?

If so, I would highly recommend replacing most all of those lights with one quality one, such as the Fenix T1. It's extremely rugged, bright, and simple to operate.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_85&products_id=386
Comes to $69.92 shipped (with CPF8 discount)

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome: mrvilla

Exactly what usage do you foresee for your new lights? For example, are you looking for weapons mounted systems? Handheld? What size, how bright? Do you need colored filters or dedicated color LED's? What type of batteries will be available to you out there?

Based on that we might be able to suggest a few models suitable to your needs (instead of everybody trying to convince you their new, not field-tested "favorite light of the week" is "the best" for everything you'll encounter).

Beastmaster

Enlightened
To add:

You should be able to get free access to a bunchaton of CR123 primary cells. If so, I'd also recommend:

SureFire G2L LED - Under 60 bucks mail order
Fenix T-1 (as mentioned)
Wolf Eyes Sniper - I haven't played with one of these yet, but they look good, and have good features. About 100 bucks.

-Steve

mrvilla

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean DealExtreme? Yes, you can cancel. If you go the account page, on the left side there is an option to cancel the order
http://www.dealextreme.com/accounts/default.dx

Cree is the brand of LED used, which is one of the most efficient LED's out there right now.

Quick question, most servicemen have access to freely provided CR123 cells, do you?

If so, I would highly recommend replacing most all of those lights with one quality one, such as the Fenix T1. It's extremely rugged, bright, and simple to operate.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_85&products_id=386
Comes to $69.92 shipped (with CPF8 discount)

Sir,

I came out of theatre about 18 months ago, and to my knowledge, there were no CR123's. But at the time, I didn't ask either - as the Gerber I had used a standard battery that was easy to procure.

The batteries that were easily available were in open bins to grab as needed, and there were no CR123's. But again, that does not mean that if I went to supply and specifically requested them, that they would not be available.

I'm working on the basis that the military will have them or get them for me and others in my unit. As there are more high quality lights in use now, I believe that it will not be a problem to get the CR123's.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The batteries that were easily available were in open bins to grab as needed, and there were no CR123's. But again, that does not mean that if I went to supply and specifically requested them, that they would not be available.

I'm working on the basis that the military will have them or get them for me and others in my unit. As there are more high quality lights in use now, I believe that it will not be a problem to get the CR123's.

Standard batteries, meaning? AA???

mrvilla

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: mrvilla

Exactly what usage do you foresee for your new lights? For example, are you looking for weapons mounted systems? Handheld? What size, how bright? Do you need colored filters or dedicated color LED's? What type of batteries will be available to you out there?

Based on that we might be able to suggest a few models suitable to your needs (instead of everybody trying to convince you their new, not field-tested "favorite light of the week" is "the best" for everything you'll encounter).

Sir,

Good point, I need to specify the requirement much better than I have.

We don't need weapons mounted systems. Where that is necessary, it is provided with decent quality lights.

And we don't need filtered or colored LED's. Those also are provided as needed, and (in my newbie opinion) we don't need high quality for most of those applications.

We periodically need very bright lights to possibly disorient and to locate those who are hiding from us.

One night we spent hours going through a village in a high speed fashion looking for snipers. The NODs and other devices like that have limited tangible benefits in that environment.

So I guess I'm looking for (off the top of my head):

*Non weapons mounted
*Very bright
*Able to be used for hours if necessary
*Won't over heat
*Econonmical
*Dust resistant
*Shock resistant
*Hand held

..I'm sure I'm forgetting a few qualities.

Thank you.

mrvilla

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:and good to see you light helped bring you back safe. The first light I suggest to you is a surefire 6PL http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24459/sesent/00
another light to look at would be a fenix T1 https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_85&products_id=386
both of these lights are very tuff and will easily out perform the one you were using.

First, thank you.

Second, thank you for the rec's. I'll check them out.

mrvilla

Newly Enlightened
Standard batteries, meaning? AA???

Ah, yes, I guess I still have newbian thoughts of "standard" batteries.

There were bins of AAA, AA, C, D.....

I stand corrected... I guess that 123's could also be considered standard.

Yes, I was referring to AA's.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast

*Non weapons mounted
*Very bright
*Won't over heat
*Econonmical
*Dust resistant
*Shock resistant
*Hand held

Thank you.

You'll be operating the desert, so I assume you do not need water resistance? How aften does it rain and how often do you have to cross a body of water?

flashgreenie

Enlightened
Just out of curiosity, of the criterias you listed, how many of those would you say is fulfilled by the much loved Gerber you had in the previous deployment.

This is just to give some quantitative idea to what you consider as very bright. Some of us are a little nuts here and very bright could be a WW2 AAA serach light... ;)

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, yes, I guess I still have newbian thoughts of "standard" batteries.

There were bins of AAA, AA, C, D.....

I stand corrected... I guess that 123's could also be considered standard.

Yes, I was referring to AA's.

Quick question, when operating, do you frequently go through fairly urban areas with shops and stores that may carry AA batteries?

I would suggest you stick to lights that use standard AA batteries. Not as bright and won't last as long as CR123A BUT it may save you if you run out of juice and may need to hop over to the local Afghan seven eleven store (their equivalent) to buy some batteries. I am sure they will be selling AA batteries. On top of the fact that AA batteries are commonly available from your supply bins in your home bases. The quality of the AA batteries you get from the store or from your supply bins may be low but at least it will work.

CR123A batteries may be harder to come by and may require you to special order them from the commissary.

Last edited:

mrvilla

Newly Enlightened
You'll be operating the desert, so I assume you do not need water resistance? How aften does it rain and how often do you have to cross a body of water?

A point I had not considered as water was never a real issue in the last deployment.

Crossing bodies of water is not really an issue...but rain certainly can be.

Water resistance would be a benefit, but would be a secondary consideration.

greenLED

Flashaholic

*Non weapons mounted
*Very bright
*Won't over heat
*Econonmical
*Dust resistant
*Shock resistant
*Hand held

MrVilla - I'd go with the SF G2 ($30-some), or its newest incarnation, the G2L (new LED version, $65-some). Another good option would be the Gladius but, although it satisfies all your requirements, is not exactly "cheap" (over $100). A while back there were reports of the Pelican M6 performing extremely well in Afghanistan. All these lights are 123-based.

While I've found the body and light engine of the Fenix T1 to be extremely well built, the switch needs to be strengthened.

The links NotRegulated posted should provide you with more information too.

Hope you stay safe.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I was in Iraq and from my experience a Fenix light that uses common AAs would be a great idea. I think that something like and L2D CE would be a excellent light to have out there.
If you regularly have access to electrical power taking some eneloops to power up your lights would also be a good idea.
The Nitecore DI that just came out would also be a very nice light since it's bright and it uses one common AA. The only downside with them is that they are expensive at $80 per light.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170991

Your price range probably leves Surefire lights out of the question.

mrvilla

Newly Enlightened
Quick question, when operating, do you frequently go through fairly urban areas with shops and stores that may carry AA batteries?

I would suggest you stick to lights that use standard AA batteries. Not as bright as CR123A BUT it may save you if you run out of juice and may need to hop over to the local Afghan seven eleven store (their equivalent) and buy some batteries. I am sure they will be selling AA batteries. On top of the fact that AA batteries are commonly available from your supply bins in your home bases.

CR123A batteries may be harder to come by and may require you to special order them from the commissary.

Yes, we could get AA's in local places, but I always carried enough spares that it never came to that.

I'm presently working under the assumption that if the CR123's provide benefit in terms of brightness and size (is this a true assumption), I'm willing to do what I need to do to get them.

I just sent several emails to find out if CR123A's are available.