• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Nichia SW45B10L 219 Triple P60 Drop-in ALL GONE (For Now)

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
tDWX7.jpg

will try to take another picture during the day

Glock 22

Enlightened
:drool:Had the opportunity to see the Version 1 in person, and I'm telling you it is totally awesome. I can't wait to see the second Version. Mattaus I have to say you totally out did yourself!!!!

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes there will be a version 2. Nothing just yet though ;)

That looks very cool. I was never a fan of the cooly hosts but that paint job brings it to life! That's not cerakote though - what is it? 2 pack epoxy?

Duglum

Newly Enlightened
I have the exact same host for my triple. :)

FM claims that it's cerakote... but i don't quite believe it too. It's way to glossy and way to soft (i was able to scratch it with the blade of a pocket knife with very litte effort) for cerakote. My Orange-cerakoted Oveready C2 looks way different.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the exact same host for my triple. :)

FM claims that it's cerakote... but i don't quite believe it too. It's way to glossy and way to soft (i was able to scratch it with the blade of a pocket knife with very litte effort) for cerakote. My Orange-cerakoted Oveready C2 looks way different.

i have never touched anything cerakoted before but like you experimented with a knife, i too was able to easily scratch it.
if cerakote was tough like it should be, i won't be able to scratch it THAT easily.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not genuine Cerakote if it's Cerakote at all. Cerakote is a flat color specifically used with firearms to avoid shine which may alert targets/enemy etc. Further more the coating on the host above appears to be relatively thick, whereas cerakote is so thin it can be applied to screw thread without any adverse affects.

Just look at Bugsy's Cerakote thread to see what I mean :)

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I was hoping that Cerakote wasn't this bad :sick2:.. Mine is not very impressive at all with a few chips present when I received it :mad:. The machining is also isn't the greatest but the host itself works very well at what it was intended to do which is dissipate heat and allow use of a 26650 so I'm happy with it. I have been thinking of giving it a run through my sand blaster and just going with the raw look. Right now it's loaded with a direct driven SST-90 until I can get my paws on the version two.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick update.

I have discovered that the flickering issue is not entirely my fault. Some are certainly my fault (as a result of the new spring - any driver 1 drivers I replaced were definitely because of the spring problem) however some appear to be dodgy drivers straight from the factory. The affected drivers are certainly the firefly drivers, and by extension the moonlight drivers as well.

I'm not saying they are all affected! Just a small number. The reason I am now stating they could be defective is because I built one drop-in for my father as a gift for his birthday this year. I made zero modifications to the driver - I left the drive level at 3A and left the stock spring on the PCB. It is now flickering randomly.

So no change in my policy of fixing these drop-ins what-so-ever, just taking some of the blame off my shoulders because honestly it's stressed me so much that I need to give myself a little bit of positive news!!!!

For those who were affected (and I have a list) I will offer version 2 in exchange for their version 1 drop-in at no cost other than postage. Version 2 will be more expensive so this is a pretty decent offer I suspect. At least I hope it makes some affected customers happy :) If they do not wish to trade version 1 then I will simply offer version 2 at a reduced cost to them.

The reason version 2 will be more expensive is because I designed my own driver, my own emitter PCB and a new blank pill all from the ground up and specifically for this application, and this application only. Aside from low level parts (which all come from China or Japan pretty much) all assembly work will be done in Australia using Australian made PCBs and heat sinks, with American sourced springs and hand assembled by my brother and I. The new design dramatically reduces the amount of work we have to do to assemble a module but more importantly requires no physical modification to meet individual customer requirements. The spring system is solder-less and the whole unit requires no epoxying (but is still just as resistant to the elements as other epoxied designs). I've seriously cut down on the potential problems to the point at which it's practically idiot proof - ie// Matt proof. We'll also be running a small trial period to test the driver as much as possible before I make them available for sale. I will build some prototypes and request a few CPF members test them for me. No idea who yet but people with a history of providing reviews (so efficiency testers, UI testers etc) will be asked. One or two members who purchased version 1 will be asked as well - most likely those mucked around most by the flickering.

Hardware design will be completed early next week (was supposed to be today but I had an unintended trip to the doctors) which will allow me to nail a price down. I am still a month or so off announcing anything though as there is some software work to be done to allow the thing to light up!

Thank you all for your patience.

- Matt

EDIT: Just in case Nailbender reads this and thinks "what the hell Matt you said you didn't have a good source for springs!?" this is still the case. These American made and sourced springs are not suitable for use in traditional P60 drop-ins that the likes of Nailbender, Vihn and Oveready make. I designed the battery end of my drop-in around these springs, rather than selecting a spring that would suit my drop-in, so these will only work with my design. Nothing ground breaking, but certainly different and IMHO a big improvement. That's all I will say for now. Thanks!

Last edited: