NiteCore Defender Infinity - First Impressions thread

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes.
I'm imagining the hoardes of CPFrs who preordered and now demand to get a light from the second batch since they promised that the preordered lights would be exactly the same...

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I just recieved my Defender and was surprised and happy that there is no "Strong Light" sign or brand symbol on my unit :)
I may be in a minority here, but I actually like the Strong Light logo. At least in the sense that I can tell how far I have the head twisted in the user mode. I untwist it back to line-up with one of the body logos which is almost 1/2 turn and that keeps it from inadvertently switching modes. Also, just by looking at it I can tell what mode I'm in before turning it on.
Am I weird or what! :shakehead :duh2:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I may be in a minority here, but I actually like the Strong Light logo. At least in the sense that I can tell how far I have the head twisted in the user mode. I untwist it back to line-up with one of the body logos which is almost 1/2 turn and that keeps it from inadvertently switching modes. Also, just by looking at it I can tell what mode I'm in before turning it on.
Am I weird or what! :shakehead :duh2:

NOPE! I do the exact same. I suspect the logo is not in the same place all the time, but when mine is lined up with the NiteCore "Star" logo, it's in User mode (well into User mode, but no flickering here if I wiggle the head etc..)

In high, it's more towards the (+) symbol, so around 160 degrees. :)

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Probably the second batch. The second batch units only have the NiteCore and Defender Infinity logos on the flats if I remember that correctly (saw it in a post somewhere either on CPF or CPFMP).

What about the +/- and the silly "X" on the flats on the 'sorta anti roll' area?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes.
I'm imagining the hoardes of CPFrs who preordered and now demand to get a light from the second batch since they promised that the preordered lights would be exactly the same...
Not worth the trouble for a pair of silly logos. The light works just fine with them.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are not a big deal. I haven't noticed the small logos in a while. EDC the light everyday in my pocket.

waTom

Newly Enlightened
No logos anywhere? No text, or what? Did you get it from Tad? I wonder if this is a second batch, or one of the very first ones that didn't have the logos.

Interesting!

Only on the flat surface there is in small letters the name and url, and the +/- in the ends of the battery tube.
I bought it from neolumen in France.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Only on the flat surface there is in small letters the name and url, and the +/- in the ends of the battery tube.
I bought it from neolumen in France.

Maybe someone should take pictures and we can compare the two.. :) Are the orings still clear tacky ones, is the head still pretty tough to turn sometimes?

waTom

Newly Enlightened
Are the orings still clear tacky ones, is the head still pretty tough to turn sometimes?

Yes and yes but none of it bothers me :)
Besides, I think the amount of force needed to turn the head seems just right to me.

I'll try to post pictures the next few days.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
waTom, the potential problem with a head that is too hard to turn is when you program the second level and you need to turn it rather quickly.

We read in this thread of many people who face an erratical behaviour and in most cases it is due to the o-ring. If your NDI operates well as it is good for you, otherwise be prepared to change the o-ring with a different one as many of us did.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that all the flashlights delivered to dealers all over the world are from the second batch.

Anyone else with an NDI bought from a dealer?

I got my NDI from Tad Gear if that counts. All indications point to it being from the first batch. They're out of stock now waiting for some from the next batch. Mine has all the logos, the clear o-ring & tight turning and my serial # is 252. The only other thing of note is that mine has one of the (newer?) Q5's without the yellow phosphor on the sides around the wafer. All the pics I've seen posted of a NDI are the yellow ones.

Mine looks like this...
q5starclearjj2.jpg

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I got my NDI from Tad Gear if that counts. All indications point to it being from the first batch. They're out of stock now waiting for some from the next batch. Mine has all the logos, the clear o-ring & tight turning and my serial # is 252. The only other thing of note is that mine has one of the (newer?) Q5's without the yellow phosphor on the sides around the wafer. All the pics I've seen posted of a NDI are the yellow ones.

Mine looks like this...
q5starclearjj2.jpg

My Cree looks the same.. BTW, is the last number on the card in the box the SN? Mine's #213 if so.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the latest news from Tad Gear. I know a lot of you are waiting on the next batch. I received the email below from Mike today.

Bill

Hi Bill,

The current ETA from NiteCore is mid-February. J

[email protected]

P: 415.318.8252
F: 415.318.8002

TADGear, Inc.
660 22nd Street
San Francisco, CA94107

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's #249 and here is a shot of the LED in my NDI. So serial # must not mean anything here since mine still has the phosphor around the die. I wonder what the purpose of the phosphor around the die is anyway. It doesn't light up, so why bother going to the trouble of putting it there? Just thinking out loud here.

DSCF0003arscr.jpg

robo21

Enlightened
Mine's #249 and here is a shot of the LED in my NDI. So serial # must not mean anything here since mine still has the phosphor around the die. I wonder what the purpose of the phosphor around the die is anyway. It doesn't light up, so why bother going to the trouble of putting it there? Just thinking out loud here.

DSCF0003arscr.jpg

I wish I knew the answer - I just had to post to say that that is an awesome macro shot! Very nice photo. :thumbsup:

Perhaps Edgetac will respond and answer the question.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the phosphor was originally also arround the die, because it was easier in the manufacturing process to "spray" the phosphor all over the LED. It doesn't serve any purpose. The Cree LEDs from the newest batch have the phoshpor only on the die, because they probably found a good and effective way how to "spray" the phosphor just on the die itself. No change in the output, but Cree saves some phoshpor by doing this.