Nitecore Explorer Series (EC1, EC2, EA1, EA2)

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
picture.php

NickBose

Enlightened
I just received an EA2 but the tube is a VERY TIGHT fit with my eneloops. I dare not insert them to try as I'm not sure if I can get them out.
Can the head be removed from the battery tube? I tried but couldn't or maybe I need to force a bit more?
Has anyone got the same problem with their EA2? I got it from Doing_outdoor on eBay.
Very frustrating!

Patriot

Flashaholic
I just received an EA2 but the tube is a VERY TIGHT fit with my eneloops. I dare not insert them to try as I'm not sure if I can get them out.
Can the head be removed from the battery tube? I tried but couldn't or maybe I need to force a bit more?
Has anyone got the same problem with their EA2? I got it from Doing_outdoor on eBay.
Very frustrating!

I would send it back, man. I'm at the point where if something doesn't take Eneloops, it's useless to me.

awes

Newly Enlightened
So, is the heat issue and poor performance of the red light fixed in newly produced units of EC1? It should be reasonable of Nitecore to do something about that, since that many people here complain.

TouchOfRed

Newly Enlightened
Im really interested in the EC2. I talked to Nitecore about that these lights may take in water. This is the exact answer i got: As for EC2, in the early shipment part of lights escaped from QC. For the lights if have water proof problem, we make free replacement. Also from that on, we have strengthen our QC job before shipment.

Now i wonder, how will i know that im buying an EC2 from the later shipment, which they have made better?

Matjazz

Newly Enlightened
I don't think there is a way until you get it.
There is a way to test sealing without dunking it in water. Remove the tail cap and try to suck the air from battery tube. This way you'll see if the head or switch leaks. The tail cap o-ring is OK if it offers friction resistance when screwing tail cap.

Sarlix

Enlightened
Now i wonder, how will i know that im buying an EC2 from the later shipment, which they have made better?

I wondered the same thing which is why I have been procrastinating about buying one - I already brought an EA1 when they first came out but sent it back as the 'ultra low' 2lm was closer to 20lm or something ridiculous.

Anyway the only way to make sure you got a later version would be to buy directly from Nitecore, a la Zebralight. But I'm not sure if they do that..?

sspc

Newly Enlightened
I've had my EC2 for over 2 months and either the light isn't as bright as it was (on a couple of levels) when I first received it or I mysterioulys over estimated the brightness levels when comparing the EC2 to the Eagletac D25LC2 twisty.

2 months ago I noted that the EC2 lowest low was visually brighter than the ET D25LC2 (I guesstimate the ET low at around 15-20 lumens) and that the EC2 turbo was visually brighter than the ET tubo (ET Turbo is a reported 343 lumens OTF).

When I was comparing the lights again a few days ago, the EC2s low is now clearly lower than the ETs low AND now the EC2s turbo is now visually dimmer than the ETs turbo. My gut tells me that the EC2s ouput somehow decreased but I have now way to prove it. I'm pleased by the apparent lower low and the turbo is still plenty bright (so maybe this has been a good thing), but I'm not sure what happened.

BTW, I had a real world use for both lights recently and I much prefer the beam pattern on the ET D25LC2 which has a pretty good spot with very useful spill...I much prefer the ETs beam pattern over the EC2.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slow dimming may have something to do with poor heat transfer - on higher modes the emitter gets very hot because there's no metal under the PCB.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my EC2 for over 2 months and either the light isn't as bright as it was (on a couple of levels) when I first received it or I mysterioulys over estimated the brightness levels when comparing the EC2 to the Eagletac D25LC2 twisty.

2 months ago I noted that the EC2 lowest low was visually brighter than the ET D25LC2 (I guesstimate the ET low at around 15-20 lumens) and that the EC2 turbo was visually brighter than the ET tubo (ET Turbo is a reported 343 lumens OTF).

When I was comparing the lights again a few days ago, the EC2s low is now clearly lower than the ETs low AND now the EC2s turbo is now visually dimmer than the ETs turbo. My gut tells me that the EC2s ouput somehow decreased but I have now way to prove it. I'm pleased by the apparent lower low and the turbo is still plenty bright (so maybe this has been a good thing), but I'm not sure what happened.

BTW, I had a real world use for both lights recently and I much prefer the beam pattern on the ET D25LC2 which has a pretty good spot with very useful spill...I much prefer the ETs beam pattern over the EC2.

Have you tried swapping out the cells? Or maybe checking the voltage before checking its output? Might be a battery issue.

Try not to run your light too hot, it may cause damage to the LED.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think it's fair to compare the D25LC2 XML floody 600 Lumen beam to the EC2 XPG 400 Lumen beam that has a big 1" reflector designed for throw.

sspc

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it's fair to compare the D25LC2 XML floody 600 Lumen beam to the EC2 XPG 400 Lumen beam that has a big 1" reflector designed for throw.
I think it's always fair game to compare beams of lights you own in determining what beam/light you prefer (regardless of emitter or reflector) as that's about determining personal preference (some might prefer the more focused beam of the EC2 for their use). For clarification though, my D25LC2 twisty has a XPG-S2 emitter.

Last edited:

NickBose

Enlightened
A fatal flaw with the EA2

Not sure if it has been reported. I would VERY surprised if it hasn't.

I liked the light but the problem: Eneloops don't fit well - it's extremely TIGHT and causes damage to Eneloops, some will not go in - if forced there would be a lot of troublesto get them out or even impossible!

Look what it did to my Eneloops

8285537841_aeef06843d_c.jpg

8285538397_9c494cd208_c.jpg

8286595804_c8aee0e7b2_c.jpg

I sent Nitecore 3 messages - NO REPLY

I contacted the seller (Doing_outdoor on eBay but he has closed his shop) who CONFIRMED that all the EA2 he had didn't fit Eneloops and agreed to refund me.
So now I'm out of pocket for my shipping cost which I think Nitecore should pay for.

Very bad experience, I am really interested in their EA4 but I will have to make sure it fits Eneloops.

I think similar problem would never happen with Zebralight. I wish the Q50 is released so I can forget this EA4 (once bitten twice shy)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow!!! this has gotta be the buggiest flashlight series of ALL TIME!!!

1) waterproofing issues
2) red LED heating issues
3) missing 2-lumen micro mode
4) LED deterioration due to overheating
5) tight battery tube

that's why they called it the explorer series, you explore the bugs LOL :D

markr6

Flashaholic
Very bad experience, I am really interested in their EA4 but I will have to make sure it fits Eneloops.

I think similar problem would never happen with Zebralight. I wish the Q50 is released so I can forget this EA4 (once bitten twice shy)

The EA4 easily accepts Eneloops with a bit to spare. I am a huge fan of the EA4 and can't recommend it enough...but...that's easy for me to say since I received a perfect sample without some of the issues found in that thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?347951-**NEW**-Nitecore-EA4-Pioneer-(4*AA-860lm)

But even with a few complaints, many owners seem to enjoy their EA4.

sspc

Newly Enlightened

I forgot to post an update. I'm not losing my mind, all levels continue to get noticeably dimmer over time...the turbo on my EC2 is pushing out some where around 150 lumens (maybe) and the lowest setting is really a moonlight mode now. Love the low getting lower but this thing is on a steady decline of output so it has to be returned.