Nitecore Explorer Series (EC1, EC2, EA1, EA2)

tam17

Enlightened
I forgot to post an update. I'm not losing my mind, all levels continue to get noticeably dimmer over time...the turbo on my EC2 is pushing out some where around 150 lumens (maybe) and the lowest setting is really a moonlight mode now. Love the low getting lower but this thing is on a steady decline of output so it has to be returned.

sspc, were you using High and Turbo mode continuously for longer periods of time or just occasionally, and did it heat up quickly or slowly (if at all)? Is it the "15lm-Micro-mode" version of EC2?

I remember that ergotelis mentioned poor emitter heatsinking after opening the head and executing the XP-G2 mod...:mad:

Cheers

NickBose

Enlightened
I have sent the EA2 back to Sysmax after they confirmed that there was a faulty batch with too small battery tube and promised to send me a replacement. Let's see how things go.

SeanHatfield

Newly Enlightened
How long do you estimate was your total runtime? I want to get some runtime on mine, so i can return it when it got dimmer.

Ceya!

Newly Enlightened
Just lost a EA1 and just got it recently also :( .

For a AA battery light , I like it alot.

S/F,
CEYA!

ergotelis

Enlightened
I had bought a nitecore ec2, i had modded it with a xp-g2. Without knowing why, the flashlight got an amper boost of about ~0,5amp for all the levels. I am quite expert, i am pretty sure that i didn't cause the damage with modding, as i was using it for 3-4 months modded. I hadn't even drop it. Anyway, i sent an email to nitecore, expressing my disappointment, plus all the weak points of the product. I asked them to replace/repair it at my cost(as i was warranty void), or just get it back for inspection, in order to see(and tell me) what went wrong, so as to improve their future products. I would be happy if they could do that, even if i wouldn't get a replacement. But the people at nitecore are great because:
-They told me to send it back for replacement and they replaced it without any fee or problems, even though it was modded and i was warranty void.
-They sent me a whole retail package, even though i sent them only a flashlight. They shipped it back registered too.
-They also seem to hear, they now covered the + pole with a plastic protection ring for the circuit. This was necessary so as to protect the circuit, and it was a weak point of the flashlight, that many users pointed it out, especially if you use cr123 that rattle. This might have been the problem for my case, a possible rattle, damaged an IC and increased the current of the driver.
So, so far, well done nitecore, cheers!

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore EC2 is screaming for an improved updated retail model.
I like the flashlight housing/casing/reflector/switch as is.
I want an XPG2 and driven much harder on Turbo,
even if it has to have an extreme timed step-down.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-G2 - yes, higher current - hell no! EC2 is already driving XP-G to the max, more current would be unhealthy for the emitter and extreme stepdown would make it unuseable for most users. XP-G2 and that's it. They're already introducing XM-L2 into their flashlights (like EA4 which was introduced with XM-L) so hopefully they'll update the entire Explorer family.

PS. To all owners - are there still some reliability issues with Explorer series? Nitecore probably won't update the emitter soon and since some sellers have EC2 at really good price ($45) I may try to mod one but I still don't want to waste that money.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would buy an XM-L2 in an EC2 body in a heartbeat. Great little body/layout, and large reflector stuffed in there. I loved the EC1 too, but it had reliability issues. The EC2 had a badly centered LED. So I have none right now. I hope to see EC1 with XPG2 and EC2 with XML by the end of summer. (I'm in Alaska now. No need for Flashlight) I would buy both.

Patriot

Flashaholic
There's been so little talk about the Explorer series that I really don't know if there are still issues with them. My XP-G is centered nicely in my EC2 and my EA1 doesn't have any of the heat or draw problems that many experienced, including some of our best statistically testers on CPF. With so many XM-L lights available to us, I'd just as soon prefer XP-G2 driven to spec, or see it offered both ways, which Nitecore is unlikely to do. Other than the lack of a really low mode besides the red led, I kind of like the explorer lights. A nice pocket 'thrower' with a lot of features and versatility.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would buy an XM-L2 in an EC2 body in a heartbeat.
I won't and the would ruin the EC2. As 'Patriot' said there are many small, floody XM-L flashlights on the market already and EC2 with XM-L2 would be another one (it has big reflector for the size but still quite small for XM-L). With XP-G it's a real pocket thrower and that's why it's so unique. XP-G2 would make it even better - brighter and throwier.

According to 'selfbuilt's review lowest mode is just 2 lumens, I have a D10 and I think it's perfect.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bad news, Nitecore just replied to me and they don't plan to use XP-G2 in Explorer series.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't and the would ruin the EC2. As 'Patriot' said there are many small, floody XM-L flashlights on the market already and EC2 with XM-L2 would be another one (it has big reflector for the size but still quite small for XM-L). With XP-G it's a real pocket thrower and that's why it's so unique.

But it would be a good thrower. In fact it would match the XP-G for throw. I have a Thrunite TN12 (XML-U2) which has a slightly smaller reflector than EC2. It does 6500 lux. An EC2 with XM-L2 would probably make over 7000 lux. Basically the same throw and 2.5 times the lux of EC2. No reason to stop selling the XP-G EC2. They could add it as another option. Call it an EC3.

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never said they should just pop an XML in there. Of course it would need more heat-sink. The TN12 is identical in size minus the tail-switch. Nitecore could do it I'm sure if they wanted too.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
They'd have to competely redesign the flashlight to improve heatsinking and limited sales are not worth it. Besides - such version would compete with EC25 and I'm pretty sure they don't want it. If you want small Nitecore with hard driven XM-L and huge stepdown - EC25 is for you.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an EC25. Too big, switch was awful. It's butt ugly. A thicker mount bulkhead for XML, and new driver for EC2. Easy. You make a lot of negative assumptions. Sales would not be limited. You fail to see the appeal of this body. Its short with a big reflector. Made possible by the side-switch and pressed in reflector ring. Nitecore should take advantage of the concept. Making the heat sink bigger is a matter of a few number changes on the CNC machine. A "Total Redesign" of a Flashlight is not rocket science. Flashlights are very simple devices once the LED is in your hand.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thing is - as you mentioned in a very small head they've fitted a big reflector, emitter, two switches and driver board. There's just no space left for bigger heatsink. To do that you need bigger head ... just like in EC25 which is EC2 body with better heatsinking.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just add a quarter inch of mass behind the emitter. The EC25 has a much larger reflector. Not like the the EC2 at all.

You should check out the Thrunite TN12. They do it all but with a tailswitch. I see no reason the EC2 body couldn't do the same. Especially considering the switches are just stuck on tape switches.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
TN12 is an inch longer and it's not just the switch (which adds half an inch at most). It also has shallower reflector and no side switches. There's much more room for a proper pill that holds the entire emitter's PCB, not just the edges like in EC2. And still it's enough for just 500 lumens for 3 minutes. EC2 couldn't do the same - they'd have to make it longer and redesign the internals. Thicker walls (to cellect additional heat) would be nice as well.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
TN12 is good for over 700 lumens. I can without a doubt build this light with at most a 1/4" maximum change of length. All I need is the proper driver and Nitecore spec tape switch to activate it. Im away from my Lathe for the summer. But if Nitecore has'nt beat me to it by summers end I'll be modding one for myself. With XML2 I'm gonna guess 850 OTF, throw around 8-9000 lux. Another prospect is to pump 3 Amps to a copper mounted XP-G2. They're doing 800 lumens. That could maybe make 15,000-16000 lux. Hmmmm. 3A XPG2 may be the optimal set-up for this body.

Last edited: