Nitecore P12 (XM-L2; 950 Lumens)

markr6

Flashaholic
Decent, but a 31% is significant. I would even call 2000mAh "decent", but still warranting a joke :)

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
31% of what? It's not w battery commercial, it's just an information that P12 takes 18650 cells. I don't know why it's bothering you so much.

markr6

Flashaholic
31% of what? It's not w battery commercial, it's just an information that P12 takes 18650 cells. I don't know why it's bothering you so much.

humor.jpg

Annnnnnnnnnnd back on topic...

regulation

Newly Enlightened
I am in strong agreement. In a light this size, this is better than xp-g level throw with xm-l level output. This is the first light on my "will probably buy" list in a long time. I can see how, if you don't care much about changing the bar on throw on an XM-L-based light this size, you might not be impressed overall

So if the number is true, it would be a real breakthrough and NITECORE should use XML instead of XPG in their future models to get both LM and LUX.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if the number is true, it would be a real breakthrough and NITECORE should use XML instead of XPG in their future models to get both LM and LUX.

Well with the P16's XM-L2 throwing further than the P15's XP-G2 I'd say the P16 is just driven harder. I'm sure if the P12 had an XP-G2 and it was driven equally as hard it would throw further.

inspirit

Newly Enlightened
Actually i don't like the mode setting of P12, H 950 lumens, and the next level M down to 210 lumens sharply. I would prefer to PD35 in regard to mode setting, Turbo 850 lumens, High 450 lumens, helpful for multi-task.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a personal preference, personally I don't like two very bright modes in a flashlight because especially in a light with step-down feature, gain in runtime is minimal.

About XM-L versus XP-G. XM-L is 2x bigger than XP-G and it can deliver the same throw, it just needs 2x the current/brightness. And that's the case in P15/P16 and P12/EC2 (I think P12 has EC2's reflector).

jak

Enlightened
Am I in the minority in thinking that any of the P series ("Precise") would be supremely desired if they were available with the interface of the E series* ("Explorer"), such as the EA4 or EC25?

Granted, they wouldn't be "tactical" per se, but more compact side switchers.

* I'm referring to the single button UI, not the 2 button UI available on this series.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
can't wait to see a compare to the pd35

Likewise. I personally prefer Nitecore to Fenix. Function has been flawless for both, in my experience. But Nitecore lights usually look better, and their machining is definitely better. The PD32UE and the TK75 I own both have rough threads, whereas all my Nitecore lights are super smooth. Plus the P12 can tailstand (if not particularly stable, still better than nothing). It will be interesting to see if Nitecore really matches/exceeds the PD35 capability.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I in the minority in thinking that any of the P series ("Precise") would be supremely desired if they were available with the interface of the E series* ("Explorer"), such as the EA4 or EC25?

Which one, the EA4 and EC25's switches are different.

JohnGribbin

Newly Enlightened
Just read the user manual. Steps down after 3 min to a lower setting end quote. high is 950 lumens medium is 210 so I guess it steps to 210.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just read the user manual. Steps down after 3 min to a lower setting end quote. high is 950 lumens medium is 210 so I guess it steps to 210.

I wouldn't make that assumption. Often manufacturer's include an extra "hidden" mode that only occurs after stepdown. Usually this mode is higher than the next mode down, but enough lower than turbo that the light can handle it indefinitely without overheating. If I had to put money on it, I would bet it doesn't go all the way down to 210 lumens.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Granted, they wouldn't be "tactical" per se, but more compact side switchers.

Ugh, I find that UI atrocious, it would definitely kill my interest in it. Plus, slim longer light in exchange for a shorter body with huge clunky head isn't the tradeoff I"m looking for. Obviously enough, horses for courses and all that! We just definitely use and carry our lights differently

Last edited: