Nitecore P12 (XM-L2; 950 Lumens)

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disagree, I think current UI with two switches is much easier to use.
Just read the user manual. Steps down after 3 min to a lower setting end quote. high is 950 lumens medium is 210 so I guess it steps to 210.
I think it will be similar to P15/P16 which means a couple of gradual seps instead of one.

Last edited:

TSD

Newly Enlightened
Mode spacing seems reminiscent of the Olight S20 L2, but with more output on the higher levels. This works for me, as I am quite a fan of the spacing of the S20, and I much prefer it to my Fenix lights. I am thinking that given its size, it will probably step down to something like 450-550ish lumens. I'm interested to see how they approach this as it is an appealing light to me. I was thinking about picking up a PD35, but I like the spacing and aesthetic better on this one. Hopefully, it will perform well in build quality and reliability.

Dead Goat

Newly Enlightened
I find the talk about step down interesting because the Nitecore site says 1 hour 15 min at 950. So is it true, cause the comments on other 25.4mm diameter lights with a turbo that high state that they get too hot in about 10 minutes. Is the extra length to accommodate the copper heat sink ?

One has to wonder if like Nitecore felt the competition of other lights like the Roche F12 that share similar host dimensions.

Just think how this light would be if it where in the SRT series

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the talk about step down interesting because the Nitecore site says 1 hour 15 min at 950. So is it true, cause the comments on other 25.4mm diameter lights with a turbo that high state that they get too hot in about 10 minutes. Is the extra length to accommodate the copper heat sink ?

That figure is accumulated runtime for turbo output - doesn't mean that the light can actually do 950 lumens for an hour and 15 minutes straight. If you ran in for 3 mins at a time, then shut it off to cool, you could do this 25 times (75 minutes total runtime/3 mins per run).

And it doesn't really matter what the heatsink is, copper, aluminum, or some new wonder material. The problem is not transferring heat from the LED/driver - the problem is transferring the heat away, once the entire body of the light gets hot. Air is a terrible conductor, so without active cooling (or being submersed in water) there is NO way any light this size can run at 950 lumens for an extended period without overheating.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
That figure is accumulated runtime for turbo output - doesn't mean that the light can actually do 950 lumens for an hour and 15 minutes straight. If you ran in for 3 mins at a time, then shut it off to cool, you could do this 25 times (75 minutes total runtime/3 mins per run).
It doesn't really work this way. ANSI runtime is the time from start to the point when brightness drops to 10%, including all stepdowns etc. So P12 runs for 3 minutes on turbo and 72 minutes on lower "modes" (because I believe it has gradual step down like P15/P16).

whatswrongwithmee

Newly Enlightened
I was going to get a SRT5 but then I found out about this, sweettttt. Anyways I'd take this over the PD35 anyday, I don't like the machining or finish on it as much, although their TK and RC series have superior finish to the lower end ones.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pxx is a budget series in Nitecore lineup (P12 is about $60), finish should be decent but not as good as SRT5.

Two pics from Instagram. I hope it's child's hand, otherwise P12 is really big:

941ec7da474211e3b1a412313926b4d0_8.jpg

src: http://instagram.com/p/gZKMTzuspz/#

f08ced7c40b111e3a9fe22000ae80e4a_8.jpg

src: http://instagram.com/p/gDpabUOsvT/#

Last edited:

TheGreatGazzoooo

Newly Enlightened
I like this P12. Great output vs size, only 5.47 inches long and 1 inch diameter. I could carry this in my pocket as an EDC! For sure it will step down, small and 950lm means heat as with all bright flashlights.

TheGreatGazzoooo

Newly Enlightened
What a failure picture above in the baby hand. It makes a completely unrealistic image for people looking at that light.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this P12. Great output vs size, only 5.47 inches long and 1 inch diameter. I could carry this in my pocket as an EDC! For sure it will step down, small and 950lm means heat as with all bright flashlights.
It's actually longer than most P60 lights, that's a lot. That's a bit problematic because you need really deep pockets which I don't have.

TheGreatGazzoooo

Newly Enlightened
It's actually longer than most P60 lights, that's a lot. That's a bit problematic because you need really deep pockets which I don't have.

True, P60 hosts can be very small. I have a WF501 P60 that is 5.25 inches long and I've seen others that look about an inch shorter. The SRT5 is also just a tad bit shorter but I'm not sure Id go that route for me at least. I have deep pockets so I'm good lol. For me I like the diameter being smaller than my WF501 so it won't feel as thick in the pocket.

Liquid Zero

Newly Enlightened
I was going to buy the p12 instead of the fenix pd35 because of the superior numbers on the specs, but the fact that it is suspiciously cheaper than the pd35 made me unsure. Now I'm not gonna jump on it until I find out why its priced this way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

HIDblue

Enlightened
Looks promising but I think I'll wait for a review by selfbuilt or one of the other cpf reviewers before I take the plunge.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to buy the p12 instead of the fenix pd35 because of the superior numbers on the specs, but the fact that it is suspiciously cheaper than the pd35 made me unsure. Now I'm not gonna jump on it until I find out why its priced this way.

The P15/16 are also pretty cheap, I haven't heard any complaints about them.

Liquid Zero

Newly Enlightened
The P15/16 are also pretty cheap, I haven't heard any complaints about them.

I've noticed that too, there aren't many bad reviews on them. I can't help but think there's a catch to nitecore's prices. I don't think its durability because it says it has .5 meters more drop resistance, its ansi tested, and the materials are the same. Its too good to be true! Maybe it has a weaker warranty?

Latest posts