Nitecore P12 (XM-L2; 950 Lumens)

TSD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the video Ryp!

From first to last: PD32 UE, PD35, P12. As a P12 owner, I like that the P12 spot and spill seem brighter thant the PD35, but the PD35 appears to have a larger spill range than the P12, a slightly larger hotspot, and a brighter corona effect which makes the beam contrast from spot to spill more gradual. I think I prefer the PD35 beam, but the video seems to echo others comments that these two lights are very similar.

Saquavin

Newly Enlightened
As a P12 owner, I like that the P12 spot and spill seem brighter thant the PD35, but the PD35 appears to have a larger spill range than the P12, a slightly larger hotspot, and a brighter corona effect which makes the beam contrast from spot to spill more gradual. I think I prefer the PD35 beam, but the video seems to echo others comments that these two lights are very similar.

For me :
- P12 and PD35 seem to have equal throw (or I can't see difference)
- P12 has a brighter (or cooler) hotspot
- PD35 has a larger hotspot and larger spill (this is what I meant in my first message)
- P12 beam contrast beetween spot and spill seems less sharpened than PD35's.

Except for the last thing, I agree with you.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
For me :
- P12 and PD35 seem to have equal throw (or I can't see difference)
- P12 has a brighter (or cooler) hotspot
- PD35 has a larger hotspot and larger spill (this is what I meant in my first message)
- P12 beam contrast beetween spot and spill seems less sharpened than PD35's.

Except for the last thing, I agree with you.

What is the furthest that you've compared the throw on these two lights? IMO, for lights rated betwen 4k lux and 10k lux anything below 75' (23 meters) isn't quite adequate...I'm interested in getting a p12, but haven't yet seen any real world performance tests XD

Saquavin

Newly Enlightened
What is the furthest that you've compared the throw on these two lights? IMO, for lights rated betwen 4k lux and 10k lux anything below 75' (23 meters) isn't quite adequate...I'm interested in getting a p12, but haven't yet seen any real world performance tests XD

Please note that I employed "seem" on 1st point.
I can safely affirm 2nd and 3rd points (flood part, tested on white wall), but throw point really need to be tested by professional/professional tool.
I had only my eyes, in night opened area, and haven't noticed difference.
I'm afraid you'll have to wait real review ;)

marc123

Newly Enlightened
What about the tint difference between pd35 and the p12? I have the pd35 but it has a greenish yellow tint that is unacceptable to my eyes. I have ordered the p12 hoping it is a more white tint. I have owned a LOT of fenix lights but my last few have all had terrible tint except the e50. I think I am done with fenix.

TSD

Newly Enlightened
My P12 is mostly white, except for the center of the hot spot which is a little warmer with a hint of yellow. It is nothing like my Olight S20 L2, which I would consider quite green.

marc123

Newly Enlightened
My P12 is mostly white, except for the center of the hot spot which is a little warmer with a hint of yellow. It is nothing like my Olight S20 L2, which I would consider quite green.

Thanks TSD. I really don't know why manufacturers don't pay more attention to the tint instead of brightness. A bad tint ruins an otherwise fantastic light, like the pd35. I also got the ld12 and it is just as green. Prior to that I had the ld20 which was blue purple and the tk22 which was also purple. TK40, E50 and e20 were good tints, so I know they can do it. I can handle white, cool white, warm white, just not blue, green or purple! Really disappointed in fenix at the moment.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Just ordered a P12 based on the mostly positive experiences here. And glad to hear about the tint not being green.

GodIsLight

Newly Enlightened
So how does the lumen output operate exactly? Does it stop putting out 950lm on high once the battery drops below a certain voltage? Im new, so just trying to finger it out. It seems like mine once the voltage drops the high isnt as "high"

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how does the lumen output operate exactly? Does it stop putting out 950lm on high once the battery drops below a certain voltage? Im new, so just trying to finger it out. It seems like mine once the voltage drops the high isnt as "high"

yep that's exactly what's happening and i'm planning to write an article on this. since everyone's on board the 950+ lumen single-18650 bandwagon this issue is more relevant than ever particularly when using the very popular NCR18650B 3400mah

basically the vast majority of flashlights need a certain minimum of voltage in order to achieve the advertised max lumens. once you go below that point it's all downhill from there. even the relatively low-lumen Nitecore HC50 stays in regulation for only 30mins. an SRT7 that draws 3.0A would probably only last 10mins of cumulative turbo runtime before falling out

but if you get a good flashlight like Zebralight then it doesn't have this problem. it's max or close to max output throughout the entire voltage range of the battery

FlashLion

Enlightened
Most flashlights use buck regulating driver and the brightness depends on the voltage.
Zebralight uses boost-buck driver to boost the voltage when needed,but this requires higher current draw from the battery.

Last edited: