Nonsensical Fenix UI

Beckler

Enlightened
Was just looking at new E18R v2.0: https://www.fenixlight.com/product/detail/index.php?id=189

But lost any interest since it has the (usual?) Fenix UI. The 0.5s hold for On is bad - there's no reason at all for that. Does anybody actually like that? Then no direct min/max, but a dedicated shortcut (1.2s hold) for strobe?! Who thinks up this stuff; it's just random stupidity with no thought of usability. The Olight UI is FAR superior - partially opinion but largely objectively. Or better yet, as I've stated years ago, have it fully programmable. That flashlights are still at this low level of UI functionality and design 20 years into LED, is ridiculous. Every single brand (Chinese ones anyway) has some totally different, random UI - one that is generally idiotic to boot.

Last edited:

3oni

Newly Enlightened
This kind of stuff is what got me into Malkoff lights. For programmable lights, I prefer Andúril or ZebraLight's UI over all others because they're both intuitive to use and simple to customize.

I can see a delayed-on function as bump protection, like on a keychain light or similar. But outside of that it's as annoying as hold for off.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I carried a fenix rc09 with this UI for several years and was well accustomed to it, but the first olight I got had such a more natural UI it seemed like the olight was the one I had been using for years. That ought to tell you something.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could name a number of vehicle manufacturers who don't sell a single car I'd want - let alone buy. I bought both of my cars from other manufacturers, and am extremely happy with them. There are others who like the cars from the first manufacturers I referenced. I'm OK with all of this.

I think cars and flashlights have a lot more in common than many might think:)

3_gun

Enlightened
Fenix UIs are a MAJOR problem. Sofirn for a lower end light CRUSHES Fenix when it comes to the UI. Using Anduril is one big step but ever the smaller, lower output lights have shortcuts to ML & Turbo & either a memory mode or a simple 3 step scroll that leave out ML + Turbo. Worlds better than Fenix. Not that I plan on dumping my Fenix lights, they just don't see EDC as often

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix UIs are quite basic & often not for me but Ive found that non-flashlight people understand them very easily & aren't overwhelmed like with some others. I kinda like Fenix because they tend to stick to simple, proven designs & they make them quite well at a decent price rarer then being too experimental or gimmicky. The E12 v2 & E20 v2 are two of my favourite lights to gift to people.

I believe the "hold button for on" is supposed to prevent the light from turning on in your pocket/bag.

Beckler

Enlightened
I can see a delayed-on function as bump protection, like on a keychain light or similar. But outside of that it's as annoying as hold for off.
Yes I know that's the reasoning but it's surely of little to no benefit. That's why no one else does it. Also the E18R I mentioned has 2 other lockout methods already, it doesn't need a 3rd. Why not add a few dozen more? It seems like they're more interested in stopping you from turning it on rather than using it! 🤣

I was thinking about this more. They call it a 'self-defense strobe'. That must be the thinking for the (sort of) quick access to it. Anyone know of any evidence, anywhere, ever, that strobe is of any self defense use at all? 😂

Last edited:

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I tried 1 fenix with that type of ui years ago and absolutely refuse to get anything that has a hold for on or off since. Hold for on is fine if it's a specific short cut for Moonlight for example but not for any time I want some light IMO. Hold for off is equally frustrating. With my edc lights i frequently use a quick burst of seconds or less to see what I need to see. Adding 1 full second to turn the light on then off when I needed the light for litterally 1 second is infuriating.The exception being a fenix hm50r headlamp where it's fine because I rarely need headlamps for short bursts but more extended runs where the .5 Seconds on each side doesn't bother me nearly as much.

1936jdb

Newly Enlightened
It can't be any more ridiculous than the Nitecore E4k. I have a drawer full of nitecore lights. And have loved the two stage button u/I since the cobra. I ordered the E4k without even thinking about them changing it. Well they did. Hold for on. Can't change modes without turning it off then back on. Ridiculous. I gave it away and wrote them an email to express my disappointment. It's a shame, that would have been my perfect work light, and would have ordered a few more.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I guess it depends on the light.
While I love my Fenix LD15R, intuitive is the last word I'd ever use to describe the U.I.

I honestly forgot it has a red LED option built into the light. Without reading the manual, you will never figure out how to get to it.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over 10 years ago Fenix used to lead when it came to UI.
Today they design mostly illumination dinosaurs!
And I'm saying that being a Fenix fan who owns more than 30 Fenix lights!

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honestly forgot it has a red LED option built into the light. Without reading the manual, you will never figure out how to get to it.

We need more lights where that is true of 'strobe' modes - where one doesn't even know it's there, or has forgotten if they did, and it's only seen by those who seek it out and 'learn' it:)