"Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

RIDE

Enlightened
Re: "Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

I'm the same....I EDC my all my lights....and if not, then off it goes. I wouldn't toss any of my ti lights in the same pocket as my keys, but point well taken that the finish of this light can withstand a ton of abuse.

Again.....after my incoming TnC Shorty....my next light will definitely be a 007 SWGG. :)

RIDE

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Re: "Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

I think half of the views of this thread are mine... :eek:

Nice try, however I suspect that the thread view count must be ip address based, because no matter how many times that I view it the count does not increase, except for the very first time that is. Whilst I know that you most probably didn't mean it to be taken literally, I just thought that I would point it out so that it would show that the view count must fairly accurately reflect the rather high amount of people that have actually viewed it!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use the crap out of EVERY one of my lights and don't baby them. On the other hand, I don't put my EDC light in harm's way, either - why put it in a pocket with coins or keys, or lay it on the ground on concrete, or place it in a position where it could fall and get dinged? I carry and use my lights a LOT but I'm also careful with them as well. ;) Having said all that, the idea of having an SWGG version is growing on me daily. And I have nobody to blame but.......

Dan. :D

Dan as usual, a great review :thumbsup: The more I see and hear about the 007 SWGG, the more I want one! My father taught me "If you take care of your tools, they'll take care of you" and like Troy I EDC with care :)

I'm the same....I EDC my all my lights....and if not, then off it goes. I wouldn't toss any of my ti lights in the same pocket as my keys, but point well taken that the finish of this light can withstand a ton of abuse.

Again.....after my incoming TnC Shorty....my next light will definitely be a 007 SWGG. :)

RIDE

Thanks guys. Geez, I think maybe you all misunderstood my meaning? Most of you know me - this isn't my thread proclaiming that I will purposely abuse my $1400 light! Or even put it "in harm's way...":crazy:

Like ALL of you, I TAKE EXTREMELY GOOD CARE of my lights -

The point of this thread was primarily to sing the praises of this amazing tool, with a secondary mention of my motivation for being willing to spend an 'extra' $400 for the SWGG. I am not A) attempting to convince you to pocket carry your lights with keys or anything else, or B) trying to find support for my position. With all due respect to each and every one of you, my intent was simply to again, 'sing the praises' of this light and also kinda "set myself free" to do something I've never done with a custom light, and that's carry it in my right pocket with my keys.

I typically dress in a business suit for work - if I'm working at home, I'm comfortable in whatever depending on the weather. In the past, my options were limited because I wanted to avoid scratching any of "My Precious" :eek:. I don't carry my iPhone on my hip, thus it 'rides' in my left pocket. I don't carry a pocket knife when carrying my phone because I don't want to risk scratching the screen - plus I often go into Federal buildings down town DC and you can't carry a knife into one anyway.

SOOO - that leaves the right pocket. House keys, car keys, a key to my bike lock, and a Quark Preon 0 on the key ring. Nothing really sharp and pointy, but those keys have worn the anno off of other lights, and make no mistake, they WILL leave small surface marks (NOT SCRATCHES!!) on titanium. So what to do? Carry an inferior light? Scratch up a ti light? Don't carry a light at all? :eek: At my tender age of 54, my eyes often benefit from a bit more light on the subject, and not carrying a light is NOT an option to me!

There's always a light by my side at night. I get up, put it in my pocket, and use it for navigating around the house without disturbing my wife. Only candidates that are qualified for this job must be able to A) go UBER low and B) tail stand - a nice option is a means to install a tritium vial (or two) for easy night location.

I walk my dogs early in the morning, and we go out for one last 'break' just before going to sleep. I always have a light. Often times I'll carry a Prometheus Alpha (floody), but regardless I want another light in my pocket. Since getting back into the Spy Game ;) the 007 sometimes is the ONLY light I carry for the dog walk, but at minimum it is there for backup.

My point? It is ALWAYS with me. And this really kinda set me free - no longer is it a choice between what the function is, it's one light that can do it all.

Greg (Scout24) and I were talking, and he pointed out how often people search for the "perfect" EDC. Tail stand, wide range of settings, won't roll off a table, small enough for easy carry, hard to scratch and made of titanium, long run time. Based on those criteria, the Spy 007 is the PERFECT light. Remember that I, like Troy, don't like pocket clips. But if you want a cool holester, that's an option, or you can get a clip or carabiner and still carry it clipped to your belt or pocket. Yes, the Spy is the perfect light - it checks off all of my desired attribute boxes.

Remember the title of the original post? "Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!"

Not, "here's why I carry mine in my pocket with my keys, and why you should, too..." :poke:

So please, carry as you desire - to each his own. Or put them on a shelf and enjoy admiring them (I do that, too.) I am not attempting to convince you otherwise! :D But by the same token, please don't assume or imply that since I have chosen to carry mine in a certain way that I am not taking care of it or purposely putting it in harm's way. No way - it would drive me nuts if I dropped it and really scratched or gouged it. When it comes out of my pocket, the lanyard is around my wrist and I take great care.

But the freedom I personally have enjoyed is the fact that, as I've already pointed out, it's ALWAYS THERE. Right pocket - I'm right handed. It's natural - I reach for it, carefully remove it from my pocket, click it to whatever level is needed, and smile a big smile :D

I think it was John that said sometimes the lanyard gets tangled with the keys and the Spy might want to come out with his keys....I've experienced the same thing. I just take care and separate them before there's the slightest chance that the Spy might accidentally fall.

I take GREAT CARE of all my tools, including my lights. Maybe, ESPECIALLY my lights would be a more appropriate statement. I daresay that NO ONE takes better care of their tools than do I.

But the great news? Data has done all of us an awesome favor - he created a finish that is almost impervious to showing surface scratches, is soft to the touch, and has a fabulously grippy surface that helps ensure that one won't drop this amazing tool. Oh, and by the way, as someone pointed out in another thread, carrying it with keys or whatever only ENHANCES this awesome patina. Think about it - Dave TUMBLES THIS LIGHT INSIDE A TUMBLER WITH STONES for, what it it - a day? 2 days? And we're worried about KEYS? :p

And the result? I've had it one week. I've carried it EVERY (and I mean EVERY) day and used it EVERY night. And I can't tell any difference in the finish today than was on it when feverishly ripped open that eagerly anticipated Fedex carton last week.

So to hopefully pull this thread back on track, the point is that it IS an awesome light worth EVERY penny. If one wants to avoid making any changes to the SWGG finish, they are assured a unique and awesome finish for years to come. And if one chooses to carry the light in a different way, then that's their choice and most likely, they'll still be assured a unique and awesome finish for years to come.

And it might be VERY interesting if the man behind this tool, Dave himself, were to join in the discussion and share with us how he carries HIS Spy...;)

Last edited:

Phil Ament

Enlightened

I take GREAT CARE of all my tools, including my lights. Maybe, ESPECIALLY my lights would be a more appropriate statement. I daresay that NO ONE takes better care of their tools than do I.

Ah, you obviously haven't seen my tools!!!

scout24

Flashaholic

I think Dave needs to post a picture of his "beater" 007. I had the chance to see it when I picked up my first (long departed...) Tri-V, and it looked "key and chain" tumbled. :) My solution for carry seems to have become a Tec P7 suspension clip and a stainless steel ball bearing swivel. (Swivel is 85lbs. test) I'll post a picture later. Secure, takes the weight of the Spy from the bottom of my pocket to the seam above it, and eliminates tangling with keys and such. Works in slacks, jeans, work cargos, and nylon shorts. So far, so good! I had to purchase the swivels in a pack of 25, so if anyone would like one or two after seeing the pictures, PM me your address and I'll drop them in the mail to you. :) No comments on taking care of your tools... (I'm a mechanic and all...) :nana: Suffice it to say, despite the best care, Oh nevermind... :D Good to see the friendly banter here stay that way... :grouphug::buddies:

Phil Ament

Enlightened

I don't want to see either one of your guy's "tools." :crackup:

When it comes to posts than can have sexually deviant connotations I would be a little careful if I were you, because apparently the mods here rule with an iron fist and you may just find that you will have one of them on your back, so to speak! :whistle:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

All - maybe we can just return to a discussion about the amazing SWGG Spy 007? lovecpf

Anyone else want to share their personal "ode" to one of the most amazing lights you can own?

:twothumbs

Flashiphiliac

Newly Enlightened

Why not have a tailor add a Spy Pocket to the pocket inside your right pocket?
Tailoring pants for a flashlight would have to rank pretty high on the flashaholic scale.
Then you could get an exotic skin sheath made for that pocket just to bump it up a notch.
After which you could get the shoes, belt, boots, and motorcycle seat to go with it.

But then that brings up the matter of what motorcycle would go best with a swgg spy?
:laughing:

Nice pictures of beautiful gadgets always make my mind race with possibilities.

When it comes to posts than can have sexually deviant connotations I would be a little careful if I were you, because apparently the mods here rule with an iron fist and you may just find that you will have one of them on your back, so to speak! :whistle:
Hey Phil, who said anything about sexually deviant connations? That must just be your dirty little mind playing tricks on you. :devil: p.s. I am a Mod. ;)

scout24

Flashaholic

Here's the P7 suspension clip, ball bearing stainless swivel, and, of course, my 007... :)

P1020164.jpg

P1020167.jpg

Light11

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dan,

As always excellent write up and pictures.
I have a question about the stonewash finish,how does it compare to the Stonewash on your XM-18?
I see you have one on the last picture but i can't really tell!?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dan,

As always excellent write up and pictures.
I have a question about the stonewash finish,how does it compare to the Stonewash on your XM-18?
I see you have one on the last picture but i can't really tell!?

OK! Here are a few photos - hopefully they'll answer your question! (And thanks for the kind comments...:eek:)

Body+v+scales.jpg

body+v+blade.jpg

full+size.jpg

Last edited:

Light11

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you Dan.
Very kind of you to take more pictures.:thumbsup:
To my eyes the Spy does not look as stonewashed as the Hinderer...but very,very close
I have a Spy on the way and wanted to know if the finish was a close match:)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
My pleasure Sergio! And you make a correct assessment - the stonewashing is a bit deeper on the XM, but they look really nice together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD