"Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

fyrstormer

Banned
Re: "Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

Nice new toy, Dan. :) I wouldn't mind seeing that gunner-grip pattern on a few other lights. Those pictures make me want another SPY something fierce. If only there were an option to have a McGizmo-clip hardpoint machined onto one of the sides, then I could really justify it, because then I'd actually carry it. For me it's just too big to drop into a pocket, regardless of whether the pocket is otherwise empty. Even my Ti Aeon occasionally bugs my right thigh, and it's tiny by comparison.

I'm the same....I EDC my all my lights....and if not, then off it goes. I wouldn't toss any of my ti lights in the same pocket as my keys, but point well taken that the finish of this light can withstand a ton of abuse.
Call me crazy, but I intentionally carry my Ti Sapphire in the same pocket as my keys (and a bit of bike chain, to fiddle with), and my Ti Aeon in the same pocket as my mini multi-tool. The whole point of having a titanium flashlight is that you can treat it roughly with zero negative consequences. It seems a waste of the material and the money used to buy it if it's just going to be handled with white gloves. If I wanted a light that I valued purely for its surface finish, I'd buy one with rhodium plating instead of stonewashed titanium.

I suppose I got over the "pristine finish" worry after I accidentally tossed my Haiku into the air and watched it slam onto concrete, with only the tiniest of dings to show for it. Carrying titanium in a pocket with other lightweight metal objects will do nothing by comparison.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

Nice new toy, Dan. :) I wouldn't mind seeing that gunner-grip pattern on a few other lights. Those pictures make me want another SPY something fierce. If only there were an option to have a McGizmo-clip hardpoint machined onto one of the sides, then I could really justify it, because then I'd actually carry it. For me it's just too big to drop into a pocket, regardless of whether the pocket is otherwise empty. Even my Ti Aeon occasionally bugs my right thigh, and it's tiny by comparison.

Thanks, Shawn. The gunner grip is awesome. I 'rocketed' up to 3 007s (!!) just like "that", and 2 of them are standard finish. The standard finish ones are still beautiful, and one was used and will be carried after the refurb, but this GG goes deep into my pocket and I'm used to it. I was in a suit all day yesterday and carried it with my truck key, remote (fob) and a Preon 0. (Left my house keys in the truck). Didn't bother me a bit! It IS heavy - it is a serious chunk of titanium - but I've grow accustomed to carrying it. Scout24's clip idea seems a viable alternative, plus it looks cool. He says it is easy to unclip and use, and the little bit of extra stuff created by the clip and swivel is not noticeable. The only reason I haven't set at least one of mine up that way so far is the fact that I like having my tiny bead on a lanyard. Still, it would be easy enough to find a way to attach a tiny bead!

... The whole point of having a titanium flashlight is that you can treat it roughly with zero negative consequences....

+1

Here's the line up now...

252 is away at the 'spa'...;)
PicasaUp.jpg

529 arrived 7/25, and the subject of the OP, 586 - missing knob o ring now replaced!
PicasaUp.jpg

(UPDATE - 529 went to live with Troy...I'll eventually replace it with another SWGG!)

Last edited:

The whole point of having a titanium flashlight is that you can treat it roughly with zero negative consequences. It seems a waste of the material and the money used to buy it if it's just going to be handled with white gloves.
There are tons of reasons why people buy titanium flashlights (durability, rust-proofness, weight, cool factor, etc.). So "treating it roughly" is not the whole point. And who said anything about handling it with white gloves? My point is simply that I handle my Ti lights as I do ALL my lights: normally, without worry, but also giving them their own pockets so that they don't invite scratches, dings, etc. by carrying them with other objects. That's hardly treating them with kid gloves!

Now, having said that, I will say that I am buying a Spy 007 SWGG. Not so that I can throw it in my pocket with coins, keys, knives and whatever nonsense, but because I like the look of this light! It's grown on me in the past few weeks, so I'm getting one. Is that so wrong? :laughing: Thanks, Dan, for your testimonial to this great light. :wave:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's grown on me in the past few weeks, so I'm getting one. Is that so wrong? :laughing: Thanks, Dan, for your testimonial to this great light. :wave:
Congrats - good choice! Nothing wrong with that - I believe that you'll love it, whatever your motivation. I'm glad the testimonial helped!

Now, having said that, I will say that I am buying a Spy 007 SWGG. Not so that I can throw it in my pocket with coins, keys, knives and whatever nonsense, but because I like the look of this light!

Nonsense? Really? Nonsense? Keys, coins? Hmmm - here's my nonsense in my right pocket:
IMG_7341.JPG

And in my left - the iPhone is always in a battery booster case and has a screen protector. The knife is, well, if you don't know...
IMG_7347.JPG

Anyone's motivation is anyone's motivation, and as has been said here time and time again, "to each his own." And by the way, yesterday pristine new Spy 007, neutral white, regular finish number 529 arrived from Data's labs to Dan's hands :D and it is beautiful. I might not pocket carry it with keys and such - just to keep it purdy, at least for a while.

But back to the purpose of this thread ORIGINALLY - to speak to the quality and pleasure of ownership that is associated with the Spy 007 SWGG. Whatever any individual chooses to do with it is their own choice. I choose to carry mine with all my 'nonsense', and oh, by the way - not a scratch is yet to be seen.

:D

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coming here makes me want to get a SW GG 007 so badly. I got my Tri-V and love how versatile it is, but it's definitely not as tough as the 007.

Decisions decisions decisions.....:rolleyes:

fyrstormer

Banned

There are tons of reasons why people buy titanium flashlights (durability, rust-proofness, weight, cool factor, etc.). So "treating it roughly" is not the whole point.
Weight and cool-factor are matters of taste, and as we all know there's no accounting for taste. Functionally though, I'm pretty sure durability and rust-proofness are included in my previously-stated goal of "being able to treat it roughly without negative consequences". Certainly nobody would be comfortable with dropping a fancy titanium light on the ground and leaving it out in the rain, but squeamish about putting it in their pocket with their keys and loose change, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

And who said anything about handling it with white gloves?
Nobody literally mentioned white-glove handling, but that's how I choose to interpret dedicating an entire pocket to a single item. It suggests the item can't withstand contact with other items, and/or the owner can't withstand the thought of it contacting other items.

- - -

I wonder if Dave could be talked into making Aleph-compatible battery tubes with the gunner-grip texture? It would be an awesome alternative to the usual knurling and circumferential ridges that other battery tubes have.

scout24

Flashaholic

Had to part ways with my P7 clip, it is WAY too tight-gripping on jeans or my work cargos. Dress slacks or running shorts were fine. I tried tweaking it to work better, no dice. Awaiting a DTS Dangler which appears to have a much wider area under the clip. So, 0309 has been riding deep in my pocket with assorted nonsense, rattling around when not being used. I actually got it dirty today! Under my son's car changing oil. :) A bit of glass cleaner and a clean rag, good as new. That said, there is a pristine Seoul 007 waiting for me at work tomorrow morning that will be limited to indoor at-home use if the beam is as smooth and as nice as I remember. Troy- I'll post a few pics in six months or so when 0309's a bit more broken in... For those who asked for a stainless steel ball bearing swivel, they're going out in tomorrow's mail, I haven't forgotten about you...

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

...I intentionally carry my Ti Sapphire in the same pocket as my keys (and a bit of bike chain, to fiddle with), and my Ti Aeon in the same pocket as my mini multi-tool. The whole point of having a titanium flashlight is that you can treat it roughly with zero negative consequences. It seems a waste of the material and the money used to buy it if it's just going to be handled with white gloves. If I wanted a light that I valued purely for its surface finish, I'd buy one with rhodium plating instead of stonewashed titanium.

I suppose I got over the "pristine finish" worry after I accidentally tossed my Haiku into the air and watched it slam onto concrete, with only the tiniest of dings to show for it. Carrying titanium in a pocket with other lightweight metal objects will do nothing by comparison.
One of the primary reasons I like titanium as well, and as such, stonewashing is without exception, my favorite finish.
Titanium that has been used looks great, and stonewashing just gets it there that much quicker.

scout24

Flashaholic

A couple of weeks into my "pocketwashing" of the finish... No Gunner Grip, though... :)

Spy2.png

Spy1.png

etherealshade

Enlightened

I just received my first Spy. I've always wanted one, and this thread has finally tipped me over the edge. Not a gunner's grip, but mine is going to get a pocket washing with all the detritus of my day to day work. Can't wait!

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast

:twothumbs :twothumbs :twothumbs :twothumbs