Of all the clicky and twisty lights you own(ed), which is your favorite UI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Zebralight, by far. Its the only light i can think of that has the button where your thumb sits, and simply by the way you press that button you get the brightness you desire, in one move...

The infinite brightness rings are great too, ive had a jetbeam tcr2 and a nitecore ife1. But still a distant second to zebralights because that system requires two different moves in two different places on the light to get it to come on in any particular mode. Zebralight for the win!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Of all the lights you own(ed), which is your favorite UI?

Surefire's patented two stage tailcap's.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire 2-stage (L1, LX2, A2).

geezer

Newly Enlightened

Surefire 2 Stage

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Really dig my A2 incan and my Zebralights. Though, I did like the old ramping UI on the D10 as well.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a dive light with a rotating ring (no tail switch to have to click first). It's just hi/med/lo/off if turned to the right and lo/med/hi/off if turned to the left.

Zebralight UI is nice as well.

The Proton Pro has a ramping interface with a side rather than tail switch.

I dislike strobes and am not a big fan of tail clickies although I have more of those than anything else.

elseis66

Newly Enlightened

5 C Maglite with sleeve to run eneloops. I run it with either a fusion 36 led drop in or a 4 cell mag krypton lamp.

ganymede

Enlightened

Guys,

I guess I should have been more specific on my original question. As mentioned earlier, 2 modes light are simple and easy to use that I agree.

However, most of current lights on the market have multiple output modes (Turbo - High - Med - Low - Moonlight - Ramping - Strobe - SOS - Beacon). I counted potentially 9 modes of outputs (did I miss anything?)! Let's just disregard which modes you like and which you don't for the time being, that itself is another interesting topic for discussion.

So, now my question again is of all the lights you own or owned that have multiple outputs which has the best UI? Seems quite a few praises for Zebralight...

nbp

Flashaholic

SF T1A.

Twist a little for a little light, twist more for more light. The Ra Twisty and Aeon have similar progressive twisty functions, though obviously with fewer levels. I like them too, just so intuitive.

Z-Tab

Enlightened

Surefire Titan T1A is a pleasure to use. The Sunwayman V10R Ti was nice, too, in letting you get a general level before clicking it on, but the UI is slightly less intuitive.

The Kroma has an amazing UI, loads of output options that are all very easy to get to. Low Red/Blue, High Red/Blue, Low White, High White, and High White w/ low or high, red or blue. 10 instantly available modes.

HDS/Ra Clicky/Novatac UI is very well thought out and, once you get it, very easy to use.

Worst UI... anything that forces you to cycle through strobe. Cycling isn't always bad, but cycling through flashy modes = going on the marketplace.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

Judging a light purely on its UI and nothing else I agree with a few others that the V10R Ti infinite twist is my favorite for the ultimate it variable output.

The McGizmo PD is an amazing two-level UI.

cm_mtb

Enlightened

Of the lights I own and have owned, Surefire's single mode twisty tailcaps are my favorite (Z52, etc.). I'd really like to own the A2 and T1A, though, as both seem to be the kind of UI I would appreciate.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast

A2/A2L/LX2 has THE best UI in my opinion!

Never thought I'd like this type of UI until I got an LX2 and used it for a few months.
Now it's one of my favorite UIs. Simple 2-stage, push for low push more for high with quick easy access to both levels.

Glock27

Enlightened

The UI on the latest ZebraLights. Once you get used to this, all others seem to be lacking...

G27

Xacto

Enlightened

Thrunite Scorpion / Blackhawk Gladius / Insight Typhoon / Ledwave PEL-6 style tailcap selectorring as on my Scorpion. In the 2mode area - Surefire L1 twostage tailcap.

Cheers
Thorsten

AlphaZen

Enlightened

I have owned a Zebralight, and the UI was very good, but I miss having an instant access to High from On. If you have the light on low or medium mode and want to go to high real quick, what do you do? It is at least a two step process, unless I am missing something.

I haven't owned an infinitely variable light such as the Peak QTC's or the V10R, but those seem excellent.

The best I own, by far, is the UI of the LF2XT. It is perfect for me, and I have never wished to change anything to make it better.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

The UI of the Photon Freedom is as good a 'one button' UI as I have seen. I have used PFs for years and years and I have never accidentally activated the Strobe or SOS modes. They are COMPLETELY out of the way when not needed.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I have owned a Zebralight, and the UI was very good, but I miss having an instant access to High from On. If you have the light on low or medium mode and want to go to high real quick, what do you do? It is at least a two step process, unless I am missing something.

On the H501 headlamp I just quicktap twice from LO or MED to get to HI. Alternately it mode cycles/ramps fast enough to just hold for a couple seconds and it will cycle up to HI.

Quick tapping once from any mode turns the light off though, so its not going to give instant-HI access like that.

Its a great, well thought out UI... IMHO, but like any other UI, there are tradeoffs.

Speaking of E-switches, I also like the UI on my fenix MC-10. Jut push for a second to advance to the next mode. L-M-H, a quick+intentional double-tap activates the disco mode, so its out of the way enough.

Last edited:

AaronG

Enlightened

For me it's gotta be the sunwayman fully variable with control ring. You have every brightness and you can ramp at whatever speed you want. You always knkow where it's set and it can be adjusted with the light off!

Status
Not open for further replies.