Oil cooled LED

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The key is to use a heatsink that in and of itself is a phase change device. It would rely not on heat conduction to a hand but radiation and convection. The higher the temperature difference between the heatsink and ambient the more heat can be disposed of and the more efficient these forms of moving heat become. The key of course is to do this while keeping junction temps down. Which is why the use of a phase change element is absolutely crucial to the design. I won't get into all the specifics of my design but I assure you this idea is not pie-in-the-sky and that it does indeed work. I don't have the resources to commercialize it but if Surefire or the like want to get with me we can make some magic happen.;)

I'm going to guess that this is a considerably more involved than heat pipes and a remote heatsink.

I know the feeling on ideas that you can't develop - got a few myself that would require a bit of proving out and considerable patent research before I could consider trying to monetize them.

EDIT: OK, so I need to read more carefully ... heatsink itself is a phase-change device. Sounds a bit more elegant than running heat pipes to auxiliary heatsinks. But I'm drawing a blank on how this is going to passively remove world-beating amounts of heat. But maybe that's why it's sufficiently novel as to be worth licensing to industry.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phase change heat transfer for LED has been bandied about for some time. Hopefully you have something new as you are likely to run into patent issues. This one alone goes back to 2000

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/6452217

Semiman

Yes of course they have been both talked about and used in lighting systems for years. The patent you linked does not cover what I have. Not exactly anyway. Although it clearly mentions using a phase change device with lighting. But then so do a million other patents. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if some patent somewhere did cover it with as broad a stroke as they brush in those patents. What I am talking about doing goes a couple steps further than anything I have seen although admittedly I have not scoured the patents to see what prior art is out there.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently working on a phase change / liquid heat exchange system whereby the end user bolts the copper MCPCB directly to the biological substructure of the frontal cranium. At low current levels, the inherent fluid in the bone isolation layer directly below the MCPCB will wick heat away from the LED, while at higher currents, certain volatile components within this inherently present and circulating liquid will vaporize. These volatile components' levels may be tweaked by the user, by indirectly introducing a solution of ethanol into the system. There are a few setbacks, such as runtime, that need to be addressed. The test subjects ran out of the heat exchange fluid because of imperfect connections when puncturing the bone isolation layer with the screws.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently working on a phase change / liquid heat exchange system whereby the end user bolts the copper MCPCB directly to the biological substructure of the frontal cranium. At low current levels, the inherent fluid in the bone isolation layer directly below the MCPCB will wick heat away from the LED, while at higher currents, certain volatile components within this inherently present and circulating liquid will vaporize. These volatile components' levels may be tweaked by the user, by indirectly introducing a solution of ethanol into the system. There are a few setbacks, such as runtime, that need to be addressed. The test subjects ran out of the heat exchange fluid because of imperfect connections when puncturing the bone isolation layer with the screws.

That's awesome. You might try incorporating a closed-loop condenser into the system. That should up the runtime considerably.