Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS +

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
What would be the advantages of choosing the s35 over a zebra light s51? From what i've read, twice lumens is not twice as bright and a zl will put out 200 lumens vs 380 lumens for s35 and runtimes both nearly the same on high?

Harry999

Enlightened
Re: Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS

The S35 has a bigger reflector and so has far more throw that the Zebralight SC51 (which is a great light anyway). Where the S35 in my opinion excels is as a room lighting tool in an emergency. That 20lumen low lasts for 240h and with ceiling bounce provides adequate lighting.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS

Any idea why you got almost 6 hours on medium when all the published specs indicate 3.5 hours?

S35 Specs:

• Output (Lumens): Lo: 20, Med: 120, Hi: 380
  • Run Time (Hours): Lo: 240, Med: 3.5, Hi: 1.5, Strobe: 3
Don't know why their runtimes specs are so low, but the 120 lumen spec seems bang on for my sample.

Note also that ANSI FL-1 uses a more generous (to the manufacturer) standard of time to 10%. On alkalines, I would estimate you get would something more like 7 hours to 10% (although I didn't run it that long).

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review again Selfbuilt! I like a lot of things this light has to offer. It seems to have a great size-to-power ratio. The AA battery choice provides many options.

I have been wanting to pick up a relatively powerful light that uses 4 AA cells because of the wide availability and options in the AA format. High quality LSD AA's are easily available at many of the brick and morter stores. There are also some high quality high capacity NiMh cells available also which I have (Sanyo 2500ma cells). And then there is the fabulous Powerex charger.....the list goes on. e

Putting Energizer Lithium cells in this light would be a great option for an emergency light. Runtime should be impressive.

The PA40 is a fantastic light for an AA powered light but the Olight S65 has some advantages in my opinion.

It has 50% more battery capacity in nearly the same size - which is pretty significant.
It can tail stand.
It has a side switch - which I like in a light of this size.
It has higher output.
It has greater throw but still has good sidespill.

Well done Olight!

Last edited:

qazx

Newly Enlightened

why didnt olight make a 1AA xml version?
they have a xml version for one cr123a.
an aa version limited to ~100 lumens would be great, compact but with long runtime.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

why didnt olight make a 1AA xml version?
they have a xml version for one cr123a.
an aa version limited to ~100 lumens would be great, compact but with long runtime.
XM-L doesn't seem to be well suited to lower voltage sources. And at lower drive currents, I've notice that current XM-Ls are no more efficient than XP-Gs (as expected, based on Cree efficiency specs).

qazx

Newly Enlightened

yes, the Thrunite Neutron 1A (xml) has about the same runtime as the zebralight XP-Gs for about the same output and both are AA torches.
however ive been looking at the JETBEAM RRT-0 XML today which claims 3hours 45 min on a single AA at 110 lumens which is amazingly longer than anything else, im guessing that must be a unregulated runtime on an AA.

Last edited:

amokkos

Newly Enlightened

Self built your reviews are awsome !

I have been doing a simple runtime test on the S35 on the lowest mode.
The runtime was between 50 and 59 hours (it went out over night unfortunately )

After around 1,5 days the light was only putting out ~ 50%

I was using (dont laugh :sssh: ) Ikea's 2000 mAh rechargeable batteries called "Ladda" (swedish for rechargeable I think).
(Ikea batteries was among the best in a danish independent scientifical test of 28 batteries. There were as good as sanyo eneloops... but thats another story)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I have been doing a simple runtime test on the S35 on the lowest mode.
The runtime was between 50 and 59 hours (it went out over night unfortunately )
Thanks for the numbers, and :welcome:

For those wondering, runtime would presumably have been longer on alkalines (i.e. they do better than NiMH at low discharge rates). Also, ANSI FL-1 standards are to 10% original output, further benefiting alkalines (with their slow discharge curves).

amokkos

Newly Enlightened

thanks again selfbuilt.

your are right about the alkalines longer runtime to 10% but alkalines suck in almost any other parameter except for selfdischarge.
Im doing a rough runtime test right now on max (to compare with your meassurement) just to make sure that its not the batteries or my S35 thats malfunctioning.

amokkos

Newly Enlightened

Simple runtime test on Max: (xx hours: xx minutes)
1:46 (blinking red but still about max output)
2:04 (blinking red constantly ~ <50% output. Max is now the same as medium when cycling through the modes)
2:30 (output is now the same as the low output which is easy seen when cycling through the modes)

So my light is working as it should but their can easily still be great variations between individual samples (regarding the short runtime on low stated above) as Selfbuilt has pointed out many times.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review, as usual. :D

So they went to all the trouble to put in a red LED behind an opaque switch cover, but didn't use it as a "find me" feature? (A little blip every 5 seconds to help locate it in the dark.)

I have just chosen my first multi-AA light and it is the Jetbeam PA40 neutral/warm. With Black Friday discounts, it cost me $63 vs. the $68 for the S35. Reasons: The build quality of the JB appears superior to the O-light, the neutral tint option, 4AA seems more pocketable with no rolling. The downside is the lack of tailstanding.

Last edited:

Harry999

Enlightened

EngrPaul,

I got myself a neutral S35 with the Hiker set Olight is doing. I had read that the neutral version of the PA40 has three distinct 'zones' in its beam. I don't have that with my S35. My main purpose for getting the neutral S35 (and a second one planned in a few days) was that it will be my main room lighting emergency light. As such tail standing was an absolute requirement. The tint on my S35 is better than on my Fenix LD40 hence it will be a more pleasant ambiance should it have to be used in an emergency.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Harry, I couldn't resist, now I have bought both!!!

I do like the beam quality of the S35 and the tint is pleasant. I don't find the threading to be an issue with mine. The quality of the light is top notch, I find it extremely solid.

I like the diffuser that came with the hiker kit. It fits the PA40, and that is probably where I will use it more often, since the Jetbeam is such a throwy light.

Last edited:

GrnXnham

Enlightened

I just got the S35 today and the first thing I noticed is that the light makes a humming sound when it's on. On low you can't hear it, but on medium it's there and on high it's even louder. It's not deafening or anything. You can only hear it when it's totally quiet BUT it is there. I've never had a flashlight that hummed when it was turned on.

Has anyone else experienced this? I haven't seen it mentioned. Do you think it's defective? It seems to work fine other than than the hum.

Harry999

Enlightened

Mine does not have any humming sound on any level!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I just got the S35 today and the first thing I noticed is that the light makes a humming sound when it's on. On low you can't hear it, but on medium it's there and on high it's even louder. It's not deafening or anything. You can only hear it when it's totally quiet BUT it is there. I've never had a flashlight that hummed when it was turned on.
The "hum" is believed to be induction whine, and is due to interference between elements on the circuit board. All lights can suffer from it, and its presentation is highly variable. When present, it usually has different "loudnesses" on different levels, or on different battery sources. It is impossible to predict whether a given light will have it, or to what degree. That said, some models do seem to suffer from it worse than other, likely due to the circuit components used (and their placement). I didn't notice any on either my S35 or S65 samples, but didn't specifically listen for it either (again, it may be there at a very low level that is hard to detect unless you put your ear right up to the light).

Many seem to associate it with PWM-based lights, but there seems to be no obvious connection in my testing - I have heard it just as often on current-controlled lights. If it is any consolation, you are less likely to hear it as you grow older (we loose our high-frequency hearing as we age - there is quite a difference in sensitivity between a 20-yr old and a 30-yr old, for ex.).

It is generally not considered a defect, but if it is loud enough to distract you when using the light, you may want to consider returning it.

Last edited:

cobracon

Newly Enlightened

nice!
as a nb, i was wondering, would the 3aa be considered for an edc?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

as a nb, i was wondering, would the 3aa be considered for an edc?
It possibly could. Overall length is similar to a number of the shorter 1x18650 lights, but it is a little thicker. So if you were willing to EDC a 1x18650, this wouldn't be much worse. But personally, I try to keep my EDC down to the 1xAA size, which is a lot easier for belt carry.

GrnXnham

Enlightened

The "hum" is believed to be induction whine, and is due to interference between elements on the circuit board. All lights can suffer from it, and its presentation is highly variable. When present, it usually has different "loudnesses" on different levels, or on different battery sources. It is impossible to predict whether a given light will have it, or to what degree. That said, some models do seem to suffer from it worse than other, likely due to the circuit components used (and their placement). I didn't notice any on either my S35 or S65 samples, but didn't specifically listen for it either (again, it may be there at a very low level that is hard to detect unless you put your ear right up to the light).

Many seem to associate it with PWM-based lights, but there seems to be no obvious connection in my testing - I have heard it just as often on current-controlled lights. If it is any consolation, you are less likely to hear it as you grow older (we loose our high-frequency hearing as we age - there is quite a difference in sensitivity between a 20-yr old and a 30-yr old, for ex.).

It is generally not considered a defect, but if it is loud enough to distract you when using the light, you may want to consider returning it.

The hum was bugging me so I sent it back to Lumen Tactical for exchange. They listened to the one they sent back to me to make sure it didn't hum.

The new one does not hum and I am happy!

A big thumbs up for Lumen Tactical!