Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS +

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS

I really like it... and now I'm not so sure I want to give it to my parents. ;)
:laughing:

It is a nice form factor - I've always like compact lights that run on standard batteries for gifting purposes. While not as bright as the Nitecore EA4 I've recently reviewed, the S35 is still a nice light - and simpler to use, with ita more basic interface.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS

:laughing:
It is a nice form factor - I've always like compact lights that run on standard batteries for gifting purposes. While not as bright as the Nitecore EA4 I've recently reviewed, the S35 is still a nice light - and simpler to use, with ita more basic interface.
Yeah, I did some beam comparisons and the S35 definitely pales against the EA4. But if you buy one used for $20 less than the EA4, it's a pretty good deal.

And that's another thing I'm coming to appreciate about flashlights and max lumens/throw, that just as with cars and horsepower, more isn't always better to have. There are other considerations that can outweigh it (such as quality, usability, form factor, supported batteries, and runtime duration), because it's all about how you intend to use the light.

I'm also psyched to see more lights like the S35 and EA4 appear with support for common battery types. Frankly, I haven't strayed outside the use of RCR/CR123 cells, because only a few of my lights support other types like 18650, 18500, and 17670... and for the added power/price ratio, I don't really see a big enough benefit, especially since I'm a bit nervous about using the lower priced unprotected cells.

Anyway, I am going to give the S35 to my parents... but will keep an eye out for another used one down the road, as a mod project (would love to stick an XM-L U2/U3 in there).

WickedServant

Newly Enlightened

Any information regarding the "Highly Water Resistant to IPX-8" of this baton ?:popcorn:

Would like to pick up at least one decent flashlight powered by AA batteries, cause I got 8 Eneloops lying around, I dont mind it uses 6x AA :whistle: Currently looking closely at Fenix TK41, but heard of the weak battery carrier, then SWM M40A XML (well I do hope SWM come out with V40A or V60A or V80A :naughty:) & JetBeam PA40... what do you guys think for a decent throw & useable spill ?

I don't know what this "weak battery carrier" bit regarding the TK41 is about. I haven't noticed any such problem. Depending on a person's wants or expectations I might recommend a different make and model but the TK41 is a great thrower and a great light in general.

eff

Enlightened

I don't know what this "weak battery carrier" bit regarding the TK41 is about. I haven't noticed any such problem. Depending on a person's wants or expectations I might recommend a different make and model but the TK41 is a great thrower and a great light in general.

If I had to make a comparison, I'd say that the TK41 battery carrier is tougher than the one used inthe Olight s65.
I've had both lights for 2 years now, and the TK41 carrier is still in one piece (no visible cracks or signs of weakness). I would not say the same thing for the Olight.