Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS +

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Re: Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS

Now that I've had more time to examine this light, I'm not so impressed. Two things bug me:

1) The lens is plastic. A light at this price should have a glass lens.

2) The original reviewer mentioned not seeing O-rings and that they might be hidden. I don't see how they could be hidden. I can't find any O-rings. Wouldn't this make it less than water proof? I carefully read the manual's description on waterproofing. They say "Highly Water Resistant to IPX-8" Interesting wording. Water "resistant" is all relative. How water resistant? If I take the light out in the rain will it get fried? By comparison I read the manual for my JetBeam PA40 which has obvious O-rings. It says "IPX-8 Standard Waterproof" Sounds a little more certain to me.

I understand that no light is going to be 100% waterproof. Given enough water pressure, they will all leak. But I think at this price range you should be able to expect to be able to use the light outside in bad weather or drop it in a mud puddle without worrying about frying it. Can we trust this won't happen with this light?

If someone can correct me on either of these two points, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS

A plastic lens??? That sucks.

iron potato

Enlightened

Any information regarding the "Highly Water Resistant to IPX-8" of this baton ?:popcorn:

Would like to pick up at least one decent flashlight powered by AA batteries, cause I got 8 Eneloops lying around, I dont mind it uses 6x AA :whistle: Currently looking closely at Fenix TK41, but heard of the weak battery carrier, then SWM M40A XML (well I do hope SWM come out with V40A or V60A or V80A :naughty:) & JetBeam PA40... what do you guys think for a decent throw & useable spill ?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Olight would be in the best position to comment on the waterproofness. It's hard to see into the tailcap, so I don't know how exactly they maintain a seal without an o-ring on the body (but I presume this is possible, if the base of the tailcap is rubberized or some such). :shrug:

Note also that IPX-8 doesn't tell you much without specifics as to depth and duration of testing (I don't have the packaging, so don't know if more info is given there). Presumably higher than IPX-7, which is 30mins at 1m depth. Note also that IPX specs don't mean that water doesn't get it, just not at "harmful" levels.

Would like to pick up at least one decent flashlight powered by AA batteries, cause I got 8 Eneloops lying around, I dont mind it uses 6x AA :whistle: Currently looking closely at Fenix TK41, but heard of the weak battery carrier, then SWM M40A XML (well I do hope SWM come out with V40A or V60A or V80A :naughty:) & JetBeam PA40... what do you guys think for a decent throw & useable spill ?
You might want to also consider the Lumintop PK30. Likely comparable throw to the TK41. It has one of the more substantial battery carriers - sturdier than the typical Fenix or Olight offerings, but perhaps not quite as sturdy as the V40A.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now that I've had more time to examine this light, I'm not so impressed. Two things bug me:

2) The original reviewer mentioned not seeing O-rings and that they might be hidden. I don't see how they could be hidden. I can't find any O-rings. Wouldn't this make it less than water proof? I carefully read the manual's description on waterproofing. They say "Highly Water Resistant to IPX-8" Interesting wording. Water "resistant" is all relative. How water resistant? If I take the light out in the rain will it get fried? By comparison I read the manual for my JetBeam PA40 which has obvious O-rings. It says "IPX-8 Standard Waterproof" Sounds a little more certain to me.

I understand that no light is going to be 100% waterproof. Given enough water pressure, they will all leak. But I think at this price range you should be able to expect to be able to use the light outside in bad weather or drop it in a mud puddle without worrying about frying it. Can we trust this won't happen with this light?

If someone can correct me on either of these two points, I'd appreciate it.

These lights use a double ar coated lense, there is no scratching at all when cleaned with a cloth etc. I assumed glass construction. Also IPX8 is a rating which specifies how waterproof it is, I would have thought that whether they subjectively label that rating as 'water-resistant' or 'waterproof' is irrelevant.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast

GrnXnham - please don't spread mis-information. The window is an expensive chemically hardened piece of glass with dual AR coating. I know it because i spec'd it. Please check again.

-David

GrnXnham

Enlightened

Well I DID say in my post that I'd appreciate it if someone could correct me on my two points. Good to know it's glass. I have several lights with glass lenses and several with plastic lenses. They definitely FEEL and sound (when tapped) different from each other and the Olight feels like the plastic lenses. If I'm wrong, then I'm happier about the light. I apologize. I should have said "I THINK the lens is plastic."

As for the water resistance issue, using a needle I felt around down in the tail cap for an O-ring and can't find any rubber around the battery holder. Maybe I'm wrong there, too and the O-ring is very well hidden. It appears that the threading is the only thing keeping the water out. Will this be enough? I really want to like this light.

iron potato

Enlightened

As for the water resistance issue, using a needle I felt around down in the tail cap for an O-ring and can't find any rubber around the battery holder......

I also hoping David will give feedback on this particular issue, I really liking this baton, just the concerns about the waterproof area, I might pick one S65 after CNY :)

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can assure you that the light is designed with o-rings at every juncture to meet the ipx-8 rating. They've also been tested in a compression chamber.
It's there.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was also wondering about the waterproofing and durability of the light, I have been very impressed with it so far and am even happier now to have it confirmed it has a glass lense. At the shot show last year I saw you (on video, though I'd loved to have gone) describing it as a 'future dive light' and it being very durable due to it's one piece construction.

I see now that the dive light rating seems to have been dropped, what reasons are there for this? IPX8 is fine for me, but I was wondering what changed in the light design to mean that you didn't go through with dive rating for it.

I'm also glad the light is still a one piece design, it's great for heat dissipation even if not for other benefits. What worries me on the durability front is the weight of the light when filled with Ni-mh cells is pretty heavy, it feels like if dropped it would hit the ground with a lot of force. I know the body would resist it but I'm worried that the force of the shock could dislodge/damage the electronics, has the S65 been shock rated at all? Did you take any extra precautions to protect the inner solder connections, such as potting them?

Also, could you confirm if 1.7v lithium primary cells are safe to use in both the S35 and S65? I read in goinggear's thread on the marketplace that they were safe to use in the S35 but the overall voltage was too high to use 6 in the S65.

Overall I really like this light, I genuinely think it is the best I have owned so far (level with the Jetbeam BC40 except I prefer AA cells) and I have owned a lot of lights now.

Last edited:

bee-man

Newly Enlightened

I was pleasantly surprised with my S35. It is short enough to fit in a jacket pocket, crazy run time, good level spacing, and a nice overall beam. It has become one of my favorite "goto" lights.

My guess is that the o-ring is located in the tailcap/battery holder and makes contact with the inside of the body. If you thread the tailcap, you can feel the "tightness" towards the ending. Again, just a guess.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

My guess is that the o-ring is located in the tailcap/battery holder and makes contact with the inside of the body. If you thread the tailcap, you can feel the "tightness" towards the ending. Again, just a guess.
This would be my guess as well.

iron potato

Enlightened

I can assure you that the light is designed with o-rings at every juncture to meet the ipx-8 rating. They've also been tested in a compression chamber.
It's there.

Thanks David, with your clarification of IPX-8 rating, glass lens, then the lockout / low battery indication, one piece design, side switch, surely one S65 after CNY, my 2 sets of Sanyo Eneloop & PowerGenix NiZn batteries can't wait to unleash their energy :devil: Hope it wont fried with the 6x NiZn 1.6v batteries :duh2:

Harry999

Enlightened

I have one CW S35 and two Neutral S35 lights. I originally purchased them because the Zebralight Q50 was not available. Do I regret my purchase. Not at all. The S35 has become quite a useful light. It is small enough for a jacket pocket and for an AA light performs outstandingly. I carry the Neutral if I will be using the light in my garden or in the park, and the Cool White is prefect for urban environments.

David, this is a well designed light. It must be because you were involved...:)

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification David. I Was very surprised when I read about the plastic lens and was hoping (and almost thought for sure) that someone would verify that it was indeed glass. The S65 is on my list for sure.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

Once again, nice review selfbuilt!

Last edited:

ergotelis

Enlightened

Got mine 3 days ago, fully disassembled and here is my report,based on all your comments:

-It is a wonderful AA based flashlight, one of the best i have seen so far.
-Its design is very nice, wish it was a bit more compact but still it is great
-It has great waterproofness, its design is very good for that,saw it from inside.
-Square threads are nice.
-Anodization had to be a bit better, i think it scratches easily, already have some small "chips". Maybe it couldn't be done even better, it has thin walls.
-It has a very good glass lens. Coating is visible. Its reflection is like in all classic good olight coating.
-Protective SS ring, that is really good!
-It uses a buck regulated converter, as long as your batteries give higher vf than led, it regulates. This is why eneloops are almost flat, while alkaline can't regulate, due to their huge voltage drop.
-It gives on the led 1,2amp(tested on the led, cut the wire)
-It draws from one 4,1V redilast 18650 0,04amp on low, 0,25 amp on medium and 1,1amp on high, clearly showing its buck converter ability. With simple maths, you understand that 240 hours on low is completely out of specs, i would expect eneloops or alkalines to last for 60-70 hours max, until the flashlight shuts off. On medium and high, selfbuilt's runtime is confirmed by me too.
-As for output, it output, my sample outputs 382 lumen on high, 116 lumen on medium and 14,2 lumen on low. Again, using simple maths, you can understand that it is impossible for a flashlight to output 240 hours for that lumen on 3x eneloops or alkalines, except if they mean that it would last on alkalines 180+ hours running on much much lower than the 14 lumen, after the first 40-50 hours.
-Personally i liked its grip and knurling, i find it very very good. Though it should have had a hole on the metal body to attach a lanyard etc.
-No PWM,current regulated levels, man this is really a plus!
-Diffuser is nice and useful. Its hole case is really cool too, like in most olights!
-UI is very nice too, one of the best around.
-Lithium energizer work just fine. Would not try 14500, you are clearly buying it for its ability to run on AA nimh/alkalines/lithium primaries, if you want lithium 3,7 rechargeable, buy another light!

Definitely a keeper.

Last edited:

iron potato

Enlightened

Thanks ergotelis for all the great inputs :thumbsup: I like there's a diffuser came with it, battery / lockout indicator, yes I know PA40 also got the indicator, but 6x AA should be more powerful & side switch is neato for the given size, gonna get one next week along with an i3 Eos for my keyring :sssh:

Only one query from me, do u think it capable of handling 6x 1.6v NiZn rechargeable :shrug:

raltm

Newly Enlightened

sorry for my english :)
light is very good.
ergotelis, may be you can help me.
I also disassembled the flashlight, because there is a problem - the reflector
is rotated inside the flashlight body and button does not coincide with the switch.
How should be fixed reflector inside the flashlight body?
I understand that the bolt (screw) protrudes from the body of the reflector,
catches a groove inside the flashlight body and holds it.
(otherwise I do not understand why bolt is there)
But in my case, the bolt is completely recessed into the body and does not protrudes,
the reflector is rotated.

ergotelis

Enlightened

sorry for my english :)
light is very good.
ergotelis, may be you can help me.
I also disassembled the flashlight, because there is a problem - the reflector
is rotated inside the flashlight body and button does not coincide with the switch.
How should be fixed reflector inside the flashlight body?
I understand that the bolt (screw) protrudes from the body of the reflector,
catches a groove inside the flashlight body and holds it.
(otherwise I do not understand why bolt is there)
But in my case, the bolt is completely recessed into the body and does not protrudes,
the reflector is rotated.

English is not my native too, but i hope that i understood!
Remove the battery, and gently press inside the + contact of the flashlight with a pen, stick etc, so as to remove the whole pill( push it to remove it from the head). It is not screwed, it should pop out pretty easily. Then screw the reflector and carefully put them inside, in order for the switch to face the button.

Last edited: