Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS +

raltm

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS

Thank you for your reply!
I'm talking about something else.
I put out the reflector - no problems.
Put it back.
But when I insert the battery, the reflector is rotated.
I'm trying to understand how it is fixed. Possible with the bolt in the body of the reflector:
s35.png

Last edited:

ibNu_Gracie

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS

GrnXnham - please don't spread mis-information. The window is an expensive chemically hardened piece of glass with dual AR coating. I know it because i spec'd it. Please check again.

-David

Hi David,

I just Got My Olight Hiker Set Yesterday and so happy with it. :goodjob:

I have few questions here:
1. How to replace (fix) the S35 switch if it's broken? :thinking: :anyone:
2. Can I run TC15 SS Neutral White with 3.7V-14500? What is the voltage range of it? :anyone:

Thank's..

Best Regards
-ibNu Gracie-

ergotelis

Enlightened

Hi David,

1. How to replace (fix) the S35 switch if it's broken? :thinking: :anyone:
you have better send it back, i doubt anyone can fix it on his own!

But when I insert the battery, the reflector is rotated.
I'm trying to understand how it is fixed. Possible with the bolt in the body of the reflector:

I think you have to unscrew it a little bit, so as to fit in the tube in its place and not to turn around while you put the batteries. If it persists, send it back or find a right place to glue it, so as not to turn around.It is still working properly right? But i have a question, this happens when you put the batteries tube only? Are you sure it doesn't happen when you screw the front SS bezel+the glass?

raltm

Newly Enlightened

I think you have to unscrew it a little bit, so as to fit in the tube in its place and not to turn around while you put the batteries.

I think so too, but I am surprised that the design provides for the uncommitted part.

If it persists, send it back or find a right place to glue it, so as not to turn around.It is still working properly right?

I think I can fix it, just want to understand how this should work. Yes, it working right.

But i have a question, this happens when you put the batteries tube only? Are you sure it doesn't happen when you screw the front SS bezel+the glass?

Yes, because it appears after some time. Sometimes after a few attempts to put the battery.

ibNu_Gracie

Newly Enlightened

you have better send it back, i doubt anyone can fix it on his own!Sorry I forgot to mention "the rubber booth cap" (switch)..Does anyone knows how to replace the rubber booth cap (S35)..?Thank's Guys..

bee-man

Newly Enlightened

-Personally i liked its grip and knurling, i find it very very good. Though it should have had a hole on the metal body to attach a lanyard etc.

Just in case you didn't know, there is a lanyard hole inside the tri-spoke looking thingy on the tail cap.

Kokopelli

Enlightened

Is the battery holder removable? I could make a 26650 adapter for extended runtime and maybe flat regulation, just to try.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

Anyone use NIZN cells inside the S65?

iron potato

Enlightened

Received my S65 Baton, works perfectly with NiZn inside, shine around for 5 mins, then switch over to Eneloop, a tiny difference between them maybe due to day time, maybe I should test it at night time :devil:
Olight-Outstanding-Quality, battery carrier better than I thought, diffuser is a plus :thumbsup:
Since he got 4 AA rechargeables, might get a S35 for my father in law, right now he's using Solar Force L2r + XP-G drop-in :whistle:

airtech

Newly Enlightened

good day. just got my s65 and something weird about it, the LED is not seated on the reflector properly. can anyone help me please on how to access the reflector......thanks...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

good day. just got my s65 and something weird about it, the LED is not seated on the reflector properly. can anyone help me please on how to access the reflector......thanks...
If it affects the beam, you might want to consider returning it for a replacement. Although some of the members here may be able to help you with the disassembly, you run risk of voiding your warranty if something goes wrong.

Oh, and :welcome:

Benz99

Newly Enlightened

Is the battery holder removable? I could make a 26650 adapter for extended runtime and maybe flat regulation, just to try.

The Olight S80 is the same body as the S35 and S65, just powered by a 26650 battery... read the reviews though, the olight li ion battery has both + and - on the same end. so does the AA battery carrier from both the S35 and S65. you can't use a standard 26650 in a baton.

Last edited:

Benz99

Newly Enlightened

My S65s battery carrier has broken after 5 months of light, every day use. I would not consider this light reliable or suitable for frequent or critical use.

not a fighter

Newly Enlightened
S65

I have the S65 for two weeks now. Frankly the promise of 700 lumens convinced me to try it out. 360 (edit: actually 120) hours at 20 lumens sounds great too for those long walks in the woods with the dog. It came in a plastic case, interesting since I saw blister packaging on the web as well. No lanyard was included just a metal ring.

My impressions: interesting design, looks rather 'modern' with the reflector being about the same size as the rest of the unit. Not something you'll fall in love with immediately, but it grows on you. It was smaller than I expected it to be with its six batteries. My biggest grip (haha) with it is how it feels in my hand. There are two ridges which are absolutely flat and thus slippery. The rest of the surface is covered with tiny ridges that provide some grip, but it does not feel secure at all. My index finger is usually in the gap close to the reflector because there just isn't anything to hold onto. It hasn't slipped out of my hands yet though.

I'm happy with the S65 but then again I'm not a knowledgeable enthusiast like some of you and just happy with the shiny light I got. Would I buy it again? Probably yes, mostly because I really like the 20 lumen/320 hours combination using six AA batteries, but if there was something similar I'd probably switch.
Overall I am satisfied with it. Its built quality is pretty good in my opinion.

Last edited:

iron potato

Enlightened
Re: S65

Olight's Baton only cons for me, its the annoying buzzing on Med & High mode due to the PWM it uses I reckon.

I once had a S65, was pretty satisfied with it, due to the annoyed buzzing, I return to the seller hope for replacement/repair, very unfortunately lost it in the mail :(

End up I bought another S35 Baton, not only I bear with the buzzing this time around, I also liking the size than S65 now ;)

Pros for me, it had low battery indicator, hidden strobe & the diffuser that came with it, speaking of the diffuser, it also fit Shadow JM07 Pro bezel ~

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

My impressions: ... I'm happy with the S65 but then again I'm not a knowledgeable enthusiast like some of you and just happy with the shiny light I got.
A good set of observations, thanks for sharing. Oh, and
:welcome:

Olight's Baton only cons for me, its the annoying buzzing on Med & High mode due to the PWM it uses I reckon.
Interesting, all 3 of my Baton light samples have been whisper quiet in my testing, no hint of inductor whine. But of course, its presentation can be highly variable.

Also, the Baton series are supposedly current-controlled. There is certainly no evidence of PWM on any mode on any sample I've tested.

As an aside, the whine/buzz/hum that we commonly hear on flashlights is believed to be due to inductor whine, not directly related to PWM. It may be more common on PWM-lights, but that's because PWM-based lights typically use an inductor to help filter the signal. Inductors can also be used on current-controlled lights though, and I have definitely heard it on some. I discuss the issue of inductor whine at some length at the end of my flashlight circuit primer (starting around 12:35 in):

You can see the full list and explanation of these videos in my Selfbuilt's introductory flashlight video primers thread. :wave:

Last edited:

iron potato

Enlightened

Hi selfbuilt,

Sadly, when I switch on my S35/S65, whining obviously on Med, shone to a spinning fan, visible jaggies blade :crazy:

But anyway, I lost my S65 while on its way back to HK, hoping for replacement/repair cuz of the whining issue, I don't want to gamble with this S35 anymore :shakehead

not a fighter

Newly Enlightened
360 vs 120 hours

I noticed something funny with the specs for the S65. A lot of shops (also the first page of this thread) list the low power mode to run for 360 hours:
http://tinyurl.com/89saks7

On Olight's page they are saying it's 120 hours though, which makes more sense to me.
http://www.olightworld.com/en/products_show.aspx?ProId=381&CateId=105
Wonder where that other number comes from. Frankly I was partly persuaded by that number and while 120 hours still are great I feel a bit cheated. I don't have my European packaging here, but I think it also says 360 hours on it (I may be mistaken here). Strange.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought this light used, with the intention of giving it to my parents as an "around the house" kind of light (so my mom will stop buying those terribly cheap 9 LED junkers that die after two battery changes). Here's my impression:

• Form factor is nice -- not too big, not too small.
  • Nice grip, although crenelated lines are really tight and trap debris fairly easily.
  • Beam color is very warm, almost incandescent.
  • Beam pattern is very smooth with a hotspot that gradually fades into the spill.
  • Brightness settings are very usable, from low up to high.
  • Switch is excellent, with nice tactile sensation and easy to find (white rubber). Nice steel bezel accent, too.
  • Brightness settings change is a little slow, but works well and at least keeps strobe out of the way.
  • Battery cage is decent quality, better than I anticipated, and slides in snugly. Batteries *notch* in and are also removed without much trouble.
  • Overall a rather handsome understated looking light. I don't understand why it didn't get more enthusiasm on CPF.

I really like it... and now I'm not so sure I want to give it to my parents. ;)

Kokopelli

Enlightened
Olight Baton S35 & S65 (XM-L, 3xAA and 6xAA) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMS...

I like its size and feel too. The beam is very nice and useful. Only thing is it isn't as bright as today's U2 type newcomers, like EA4 and other lithium battery lights. The tint on mine is a bit green on the lower settings but still nice on the eye. Nowhere green like my Quark 123.

Btw, I see 360h max runtime clearly stated on my hard box packaging. I don't know if Olight changed the packaging or not.

---
Kokopelli, Istanbul, Turkey