Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISONS

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISO

DH 07 welcome to cpf! Nice light collection by the way...

I have switched to using 123a primaries on my light instead of the 18650's. Now that I have the smooth reflector installed, I do notice a difference in throw with the 123a's, also the color temp is a little whiter with 123a'a and greener with the 18650. The light still does not come close to my Spear (even with the M20 having a smooth reflector and the Spear only having the OP one) in throw.... but throw is very good for a small light.

I have been trying to decide between buying 50 123a's from Batteryjunction or replacing the M20 with Eagletac's 18650 light for about the same price. The Eagletac would give me full regulation on the 18650 cell which would be nice... but I have decided that the M20's better throw and having a true low level makes it worth buying batteries for. No other led that I have had (or currently have) comes as close to the Spear in overall brightness as the M20.

Thanks again for the review Selfbuilt!

Last edited:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISO

DH 07 welcome to cpf! Nice light collection by the way...

I have switched to using 123a primaries on my light instead of the 18650's. Now that I have the smooth reflector installed, I do notice a difference in throw with the 123a's, also the color temp is a little whiter with 123a'a and greener with the 18650. The light still does not come close to my Spear (even with the M20 having a smooth reflector and the Spear only having the OP one) in throw.... but throw is very good for a small light.

I have been trying to decide between buying 50 123a's from Batteryjunction or replacing the M20 with Eagletac's 18650 light for about the same price. The Eagletac would give me full regulation on the 18650 cell which would be nice... but I have decided that the M20's better throw and having a true low level makes it worth buying batteries for. No other led that I have had (or currently have) comes as close to the Spear in overall brightness as the M20.

Thanks again for the review Selfbuilt!
Try a Jet3 Pro ibs - I have one of those and IMO match the M20 for out put.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

When my Jet3M arrives I'll have two lights that can run from 1 x 18670 or 2 x CR123 or 2 x 16340. The flexibility in power cells is part of the reason I chose these two models. I will see what I think of how the two compare once the Jetbeam arrives (the Olight should be here in the next couple of day I hope).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

When my Jet3M arrives I'll have two lights that can run from 1 x 18670 or 2 x CR123 or 2 x 16340. The flexibility in power cells is part of the reason I chose these two models.
FYI, my review of the Jet-III M is almost done - should be up by tomorrow evening (or tonight if I have the time). Stay tuned ....

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast

When my Jet3M arrives I'll have two lights that can run from 1 x 18670 or 2 x CR123 or 2 x 16340. The flexibility in power cells is part of the reason I chose these two models. I will see what I think of how the two compare once the Jetbeam arrives (the Olight should be here in the next couple of day I hope).

the Jet3 pro ibs is the one i mean that would match the M20 - from what I have read the jet3M is not quite as bright because of the way its regulated - so it can run on lots of different batteries - were as the jet3 is a dedicated 18650.
Heres a good graph of out put https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/207917&page=2

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened

Just got my M20 Premium but initial thoughts are WOW:twothumbs
I love my Huntlight P4 and Olight T20 Tactical Q5 but I am suprised how much the R2 and the bigger reflector blow the other two lights away.
I love the tint of the R2 as well,I hated my greenish/yellow tint on the Fenix P3D and thought the Q5 WC was the way to go but the R2 WH makes outdoor stuff look so much more natural than the WC tint without the puke green tint,simply natural looking tint..
Can't wait to try it out this weekend on a campout.
The heavier duty pocket clip is great as well.
My one complaint about my T20 was the weak clip that i lost the first day and the new T20 and M20 heavier duty clips are great.
Also,MattK at batteryjunction did his job well again!
Tim

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Glen,
Thanks for the suggestion. I had a Jet3 Pro IBS and it was a neat light. Mine became flakey and it had to go back.... but Flavio at BOG was great at taking care of the problem. I am tempted to pick up a couple of Jetbeam's and Eagletac's new models though regardless.

I did not think the Jet3 was quite as bright as the M20... but everyone's lights are a little different. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Glen,
Thanks for the suggestion. I had a Jet3 Pro IBS and it was a neat light. Mine became flakey and it had to go back.... but Flavio at BOG was great at taking care of the problem. I am tempted to pick up a couple of Jetbeam's and Eagletac's new models though regardless.

I did not think the Jet3 was quite as bright as the M20... but everyone's lights are a little different. Thanks again for the suggestion.

yes I think tint of LED's and our different indervidual perception of colors is what governs our choice - few! thats all my big words used up for the week :grin2:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got my first O-light: The M20 Premium-R2, Black

(1) I was fascinated by how this light looks in person, especially the glimmering reflector, the polished cuts in the s/s bezel, and the perfectly mathing finish of all components.

(2) I opened it to lubricate it and change the rubber button cover. I was shocked by the high quality of ALL the internal components. I didn't expect this!

Always nice to get a light that is this well executed. :grin2:

Burgess

Flashaholic

So, i imagine you have the New Firmware,

which did away with that darned "LowBatteryBlink" ? :sick2:

Hope so. Good Riddance !

I'm awaiting my replacement to ship from 4Sevens.

Soon.

Like you, i am also impressed by this flashlight.

So happy to see that Olight has listened to the complaints.

:thumbsup:

This is indeed a very nice flashlight.

:twothumbs
_

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, i imagine you have the New Firmware,

which did away with that darned "LowBatteryBlink" ? :sick2:

I am pretty sure the Premium has the new firmware, mine has the section in the manual crossed out where it covers the low battery blink.

Overall a nice light - my only complaint would be the clip and cigar thingy, didn't like them and too them off, but that leaves a small section of exposed thread that I wouldn't mind some sort of smooth or knurled ring to cover.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am pretty sure the Premium has the new firmware, mine has the section in the manual crossed out where it covers the low battery blink.

My manual also had a strike across the low battery warning.

What really concerns me is the strike they also put across the "Warranty" section.

Then they threw in an additional slip of paper with a time-limited warranty of 30 days, 18 months, and you pay for parts [EDIT: after this period]. :thumbsdow

The light was, and still is, advertized with a lifetime no-hassle warranty! See blue text below for what I just pulled off the sales page this morning.

"Warranty

"No Hassle Lifetime Guarantee

"Batteries will deplete, switches will wear out, electronics will burn out, rubber boots and O-rings will age. Everything else is covered by our lifetime no-hassle guarantee: if it breaks, we fix it!

"Olight warrants its products to be free from defects in materials and workmanship. Olight will repair or replace, at its option and without charge, any product or part which is found to be defective under normal use and service with proof of purchase. Such repair or replacement shall be the purchaser's sole and exclusive remedy under this warranty. This warranty does not cover normal maintenance and service and does not apply to any products or parts which have been subject to modification, misuse, negligence, accident, improper maintenance or repair by anyone other than Olight."

"Them *******s!" :thumbsdow

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

Last edited:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then they threw in an additional slip of paper with a time-limited warranty of 30 days, 18 months, and you pay for parts. :thumbsdow

On the image that you posted the additional slip of paper says THEY pay for the parts for 18 months and YOU pay for the parts AFTER 18 months.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

On the image that you posted the additional slip of paper says THEY pay for the parts for 18 months and YOU pay for the parts AFTER 18 months.

I added in the appropriate edit to clarify.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

When I buy a light that is advertised as being high-quality, and retails for over $100; I expect it to last much longer than a year and a half. And what exactly is left if batteries, switches, electronics, rubber boots, and O-rings are not covered under warranty? If I drop the light and crack the lens, will Olight replace it for free? (Assuming that happens within the first 18 months). I doubt it.

I've had no problems with my M20. I hope it stays that way. I was also lucky to get mine at a significant discount. Still, if Olight has such little faith in their products; I'm glad I have a small collection of Surefires that I can rely on.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I buy a light that is advertised as being high-quality, and retails for over $100; I expect it to last much longer than a year and a half. And what exactly is left if batteries, switches, electronics, rubber boots, and O-rings are not covered under warranty? If I drop the light and crack the lens, will Olight replace it for free? (Assuming that happens within the first 18 months). I doubt it.

I've had no problems with my M20. I hope it stays that way. I was also lucky to get mine at a significant discount. Still, if Olight has such little faith in their products; I'm glad I have a small collection of Surefires that I can rely on.

Surefire, Pelican, Streamlight and Inova do have fantastic warranties. In the current rate of led and light improvements... I personally do not see myself keeping a led light for even that long. However I fully do see your point.

Hopefully, Surefire, Pelican, Inova and Streamlight will quickly bring their lights to market that have similar output capibilities (including multi-level) to Olight. I have hight hopes that 2009 will be a great year for us at cpf.... including some great new long anticipated American made lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I have hight hopes that 2009 will be a great year for us at cpf.... including some great new long anticipated American made lights.

Perhaps Surefire will release the UA2 and UB2 in time for Christmas.... of 2009. :sigh:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks for the warranty update Paul.

Although somewhat disappointing, the original wording of the warranty was actually pretty meaningless anyway. They had directly copied a certain well-known American light maker, and replaced "bulbs will burn out" (common for incans) with "electronics will burn out". Seriously, there's not much value to a warranty that won't guarantee the circuit at all.

I understood Olight was coming out with a revised warranty statement, so I guess this is it. 18 months is certainly better than nothing (and better than what many other Chinese makers offer).

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree, the original warranty statement was self-contradictory... "No-Hassle Guarantee", and then excluding most defect-prone components of the flashlight. :shrug:

What bothers me is the nerve to physically cross out the warranty and change it. Also, done well in advance of having the dealers update their product description. :shakehead

Still, it's a great performer and very high quality at a reasonable price. :party:

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Still, it's a great performer and very high quality at a reasonable price. :party:

Very true. But business practices are something I look at when laying down my hard-earned money. The light is impressive, their warranty nonsense is not.

I like my M20.... But I'm never buying another Olight product again.