Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISONS

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISO

FYI, those looking into the M20 class of multi-power tactical flashlights, my JetBeam Jet-III M review is now up.

The current-controlled M20 remains the most efficient choice in this class, but the Jet-III M has a lot going for it as well (including continuously-variable output, an extremely low low, and a few nice build feature).

More choice for consumers. :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight M20 Warrior Review - Premium R2 - RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS & DETAILED COMPARISO

But I'm never buying another Olight product again.

I don't feel this way, the warranty thing is an irritation at the worst.

I would defer to people's actual experiences with the quality of the light, and warranty experiences when things aren't right.

I'd rather have a manufacturer give a low warranty and exceed it when needed, than to make big promises and provide hassles later on.

I think I will like the o-light for the same reason I like Hondas. They might not have the best warranty, but I can drive them for 3-5 times the warranty period before they need any non-routine service. That kind of quality keeps me coming back.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I think I will like the o-light for the same reason I like Hondas. They might not have the best warranty, but I can drive them for 3-5 times the warranty period before they need any non-routine service. That kind of quality keeps me coming back.

As someone who's into cars, I understand what you mean. (Still, with their notorious transmission problems; Honda might not be the best example). But as far as lights go, my Surefires are better quality and come with a lifetime, no-hassle, no B.S. warranty.

While my M20 is not likely to fail on me, if it does; I'm glad I've got other quality lights to fall back on.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

Really I couldn't care less about the warranty. I have bought much more expensive items with significantly less warranty. My experience with electronics tells me that a factory fault that doesn't show itself within the first 18 months is very rare. I have 5 Maglites that are almost a decade old and I haven't needed a warranty for any of them, I haven't even blown one bulb between the lot of them.

I expect that if the Olight regulator or other circuitry cannot handle the wattage going through it then I will know about it within the first 3 months, 18 months warranty is more than enough for me. Of course I could also argue that for the price of a Surefire I could buy 2 Olights and have change, then if one failed I could throw it in the bin and use the 2nd one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Really I couldn't care less about the warranty. I have bought much more expensive items with significantly less warranty. My experience with electronics tells me that a factory fault that doesn't show itself within the first 18 months is very rare. I have 5 Maglites that are almost a decade old and I haven't needed a warranty for any of them, I haven't even blown one bulb between the lot of them.

A very fair statement about any electronic issues popping up within the first 18 months. But Olight has made it clear that they won't even cover the electronics, under warranty. As far as Maglite goes....

Before really getting lights, I owned 3 Maglites that failed on me. One was a 3D model kept in my car for emergencies. It literally fell apart on me while checking to see if it needed new batteries or if the bulb had prematurely blown. The other two were mini-mags. One also fell apart on me while examining it. The other had a barrel so soft that it bent inwards while holding it in my fingers. You've got 5 good ones, I ended up with 3 lemons.... Something similar could happen with two different Olight customers. Hence the need for a good warranty. A great warranty shows that a company is willing to stand behind its products. A poor one also speaks about a company's commitment to what they make.

Of course I could also argue that for the price of a Surefire I could buy 2 Olights and have change, then if one failed I could throw it in the bin and use the 2nd one.

Also a fair point. But I'd rather spend the extra money on one quality light that I know won't let me down, instead of two less expensive lights that might.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

A very fair statement about any electronic issues popping up within the first 18 months. But Olight has made it clear that they won't even cover the electronics, under warranty. As far as Maglite goes....

Before really getting lights, I owned 3 Maglites that failed on me. One was a 3D model kept in my car for emergencies. It literally fell apart on me while checking to see if it needed new batteries or if the bulb had prematurely blown. The other two were mini-mags. One also fell apart on me while examining it. The other had a barrel so soft that it bent inwards while holding it in my fingers. You've got 5 good ones, I ended up with 3 lemons.... Something similar could happen with two different Olight customers. Hence the need for a good warranty. A great warranty shows that a company is willing to stand behind its products. A poor one also speaks about a company's commitment to what they make.

Also a fair point. But I'd rather spend the extra money on one quality light that I know won't let me down, instead of two less expensive lights that might.

Monocrom,
I think you have a very good point and I think that was the great thing (for me) about buying Surefire lights. I was not impressed by their regular lights as much as their M series (I did really love my gpz though) lights, but they were all good quality.

I hope to be a SF customer again soon as soon as they bring to market their high output variable level lights. The extra fit and finish will need to be there for me though to justify spending $279+ for a light that is not brighter (most likely) than one I can get for $100.

I do not know how long my M20 will last (or if I will trade it for some new 300+ lumen 18650 light next year...if one comes out. But, it does feel (to me) to be slightly highter quality than my old 6pl or 6p/9p. It may not be... but it feels that way to me.

When I was spending $200-$350 on bright SF lights, there was really no other game in town. That has changed now...at least in output...and a decently made light. So, while I look forward to the possibility of buying a UA2..... SF will really have to have their "A" game in place with it for me to (hapilly) spend the money. Better warrenty or not. Just my .02

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

A very fair statement about any electronic issues popping up within the first 18 months. But Olight has made it clear that they won't even cover the electronics, under warranty.

Not on mine they haven't - the bit that says they don't has been crossed out and replaced with a warranty that does cover the electronics.

From what I can work out they were covering the torch for a lifetime, but excluding electronics, switches, rubber boots & o-rings. They seem to have changed it to covering everything, but only for 18 months.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast

Will a $275 + light out last 3 x M20 - for argument sake - or to put it another way buy 3 M20's and if one stops - grab another - and while the others are banging the $275 light on your boot to make it work - you got your backup out :grin2:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Not on mine they haven't - the bit that says they don't has been crossed out and replaced with a warranty that does cover the electronics.

From what I can work out they were covering the torch for a lifetime, but excluding electronics, switches, rubber boots & o-rings. They seem to have changed it to covering everything, but only for 18 months.

Took a closer look. You're right about the change. But I wonder if Olight will apply it to those of us who jumped on the bandwagon, and got their M20 early. My warranty is still a Lifetime one; but I have no clue what it covers since all the important items were excluded.

Watchguy

Newly Enlightened

I always consider the store warranty and reputation above the manufacturer warranty. I've never used a manufacturer warranty but have used a store return policy several times and will pay extra for it.
My Olight T25 Tactical had one of the modes go bad. 4Sevens took it back no questions and quick. I was at first just going to warranty it then I asked for a refund (so I could buy an M20).:D

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

The new warranty is a massive improvement upon the original.

If you read the original carefully you'll see that while it was a 'limited lifetime warrant' is was FAR too limited: it didn't cover LED, Electronics or switches - that leaves what - the machined body parts?

The new warranty is also a limited lifetime warranty; it covers everything for 18 months then after 18 months covers labor only. We worked carefully with Olight to create the new warranty program and feel that, for the consumer, it is a massive improvement and is now highly competitive.

The upgraded warranty covers all Olight purchases.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreeing with Matt here, the original warranty was confusing, and if taken literally didn't cover much. I was picturing the person who wrote up the warranty statement was just trying to be cute:thinking: How can it be no-hassle if it doesn't cover major items? It was due to be corrected... but at first glance seems like less coverage.

Thanks for stepping in and clarifying. I didn't intend to have a whole page devoted to warranty mumbo jumbo! :eek:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alltough M20 'low' is quite low it's still very bright compared to eg. VB-16.
M20 low - VB-16 high
6052faa710aebe93.jpg

M20 low - VB-16 low
871533c52c367f63.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Alltough M20 'low' is quite low it's still very bright compared to eg. VB-16.
Quite true ... although the M20 has the lowest output I've seen a current-controlled light make it down to.

The VB-16 remains one of the lowest output lights I've ever come across. But the new JetBeam Jet-III M comes pretty close.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

:ohgeez:My cree emitter has a die WAY off from the center of the dome.

I knew my beam was a little lopsided, it wasn't until I put in a smooth reflector that I realized how bad it was. The beam is like a big parabola instead being spot.

Time to test that warranty! :sigh:

IMG_2342.jpg

Last edited:

Triker

Newly Enlightened

What a site! I know nil to nothing about flashlights, but came here looking for help as I wanted to buy a light to winter commute on my ICE Trice S trike. Also thought I'd like to have it mounted on my helmet. Found GREAT advice on both here. My Olight M20 Premium arrived this week. It''s temporarily mounted with a zip tie, and took it out for a spin last night. I can certainly see and be seen with it. Tried all mode of course. I do like the fact that you have light in the direction of head movement instead of straight forward.

Just wanted to say THANKS for the forum and all of you who contribute your knowledge.

Joseph

Burgess

Flashaholic

Hey Triker --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Ride safely, my friend.
_

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also thought I'd like to have it mounted on my helmet...
Just wanted to say THANKS for the forum and all of you who contribute your knowledge.

Joseph

:welcome: The light has very good output and runtime for it's size, good choice!

artec540

Enlightened

Quite true ... although the M20 has the lowest output I've seen a current-controlled light make it down to.

The VB-16 remains one of the lowest output lights I've ever come across. But the new JetBeam Jet-III M comes pretty close.

I don't understand this passion for a very low "low" output. If you want it that low, why not turn it off?