opinions on 65, 75, & 85w ebay lights?

plexus

Newly Enlightened
Hey there. I bought the 75W HID with the 6000k bulb first. total cost with battery, chargers but no case was $155. i wanted to upgrade so i bought the 85W with 2 larger capacity batteries, and an extra 6000k 85W bulb. the bulb in it is also 6000k. that cost me $182 and included the case. I sold the 75W and made out ok.

The 6000k bulb makes a huge difference. just like with LEDs, the warm colour temp helps to make the lighted scene more clear and details easier to see. more depth too. For $182 including an extra battery and bulb... well you just can't go wrong. these lights through big lumens for a low price. out in the woods and over a lake its pretty incredible. sure not the greatest beam quality, but good enough, not so horrible its not usable.

scheven architect

Newly Enlightened
I own the 85w one, replace the stock bulb 6000k with 4300k bulb, better throw and much better colors! really happy with it, bit bulky though

jayrob

Enlightened
hi everyone, first post on CPF :D.
anyway,

say jayrob, have you tried installing the 85W 4300K replacement that lovepets88's got too? i just ordered my 85W HID through ebay days ago and only just came across all this stuff about getting better output with the replacement bulbs and ballast. Not too sure what to expect of my order now that it's got mixed reviews. Also, how many lumens do you wager your modded 85W HID in your post is putting out?

Lovepets88 also sells the complete light with a 4300K. Is that the one you got?

I don't have a way to measure exact lumens, but I compared it to a couple of other HID lights including the FF3, which is an amazing light. See comparisons in this thread:
Fire-Foxes III compared to Magic Scorpion 40W and 85W Ebay HID...

R10500

Newly Enlightened
Lovepets88 also sells the complete light with a 4300K. Is that the one you got?

I don't have a way to measure exact lumens, but I compared it to a couple of other HID lights including the FF3, which is an amazing light. See comparisons in this thread:
Fire-Foxes III compared to Magic Scorpion 40W and 85W Ebay HID...

Yeah i had a look at that thread. I'd have gone for the firefox but that'd burn a huge hole in my pocket lol but anw i got it from a jessie_lighting who was offering an 85W with 4x lampshades and 2 8700mAh batteries, alongside all the other extras for 195AU$. There were color temperature options but unfortunately i missed out on reading about 4300k's optimum performance in comparison with the standard 6000k that comes with the unit.

Have you had any problems with your ebay HID? Also, there is also this reflector that the same person is selling and i'm intending to get it but i'm not sure if it'll allow for farther throw as implied.
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Durable-...ping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches&hash=item2c6a532755 this is the reflector, not sure if the measurements are the same as what the unit comes with, cos if it is, i'm pretty sure i won't be bothering about it then.

R10500

Newly Enlightened
Hey there. I bought the 75W HID with the 6000k bulb first. total cost with battery, chargers but no case was $155. i wanted to upgrade so i bought the 85W with 2 larger capacity batteries, and an extra 6000k 85W bulb. the bulb in it is also 6000k. that cost me $182 and included the case. I sold the 75W and made out ok.

The 6000k bulb makes a huge difference. just like with LEDs, the warm colour temp helps to make the lighted scene more clear and details easier to see. more depth too. For $182 including an extra battery and bulb... well you just can't go wrong. these lights through big lumens for a low price. out in the woods and over a lake its pretty incredible. sure not the greatest beam quality, but good enough, not so horrible its not usable.

ok that strange cos everybody here finds 4300k best for its apparent brightness. did you measure any difference in brightness between the 75 and 85W btw?

@scheven architect: what do you wager its maximum range is? did you also get your replacement bulb from lovepets88?

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
There is a huge difference between a 4300K bulf vs a 6000K buld in the 85watt ebay lights. Let me show you.

Settings are manual exposure 2 sec shutter f/4.5 ISO 400.

Here's the 6000K bulb 85 watt HID flashlight

DSCF4603.jpg

Here's the 4300K bulb 85 watt HID flashlight.

DSCF4568.jpg

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
The same can be said for my Powr On Board HID spotlights. One has the 6000K bulb and the other has the 4300K bulb. The 4300K bulb is a lot brighter.

R10500

Newly Enlightened
yeah 4300K does look brighter although to me it looks like the 6000k's got a more obvious spot than the 4300k. thanks for the picture references :) would 5000K really combine the characteristics of a 4300k and 6000k as someone else on CPF said then? also, how far has everybody got their ebay HIDs to throw? i'm thinking of getting a custom built reflector if the original one really is as deficient as it's been made out to be, or make one out of small mirror tiles. is there any good reason why i haven't seen reflectors made out of mirrors though? i thought they'd do better than aluminum ones

BVH

Flashaholic
5000K gets rid of the "pink" hue in most all the 4300K's I've ever seen, even the Polarion Abyss and FF3. Once you see reall 5000K, you'll never go back.

jayrob

Enlightened
Yeah i had a look at that thread. I'd have gone for the firefox but that'd burn a huge hole in my pocket lol but anw i got it from a jessie_lighting who was offering an 85W with 4x lampshades and 2 8700mAh batteries, alongside all the other extras for 195AU$. There were color temperature options but unfortunately i missed out on reading about 4300k's optimum performance in comparison with the standard 6000k that comes with the unit.

Have you had any problems with your ebay HID? Also, there is also this reflector that the same person is selling and i'm intending to get it but i'm not sure if it'll allow for farther throw as implied.
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Durable-...ping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches&hash=item2c6a532755 this is the reflector, not sure if the measurements are the same as what the unit comes with, cos if it is, i'm pretty sure i won't be bothering about it then.

Not any real problems... Just the same battery pack issues that you read about. And it seems to drain on it's own a lot faster than it should. Maybe cheap cells??

Sure would like to get one with some good cells in there. Wonder of the Panasonic 3400 cells will fit?

About that reflector. I would take a guess that it is just the standard replacement reflector the same as stock...

R10500

Newly Enlightened
gee don't suppose i could get some sort of a replacement if i do get a real crappy battery? i wouldn't know if the panasonic would fit since this is my first foray into HIDs apart from 18650-fed LEDs. but i've read that these huge HID batteries are made from multiple 18650s. are those problems with protection tripping upon switching on the torch and batteries not charging properly common?
ok, so custom made it is then lol wouldn't be doing these HIDs justice without all that power collected into a proper reflector

R10500

Newly Enlightened
my HIDs arriving in a few days time and i'm already in nervous anticipation lol i've heard of its many pros but also its cons and they in particular are the result of low QC apparently. are all the lampheads really difficult to focus or remove and is there something i should remember before charging my batteries for the first time? all the questions lol

R10500

Newly Enlightened
also, are the replacement bulbs also a hit or miss thing? i'm thinking of getting an 85W bulb in another color temperature but i've only seen reference to the 75W replacement and i don't know if i can trust the 85W bulb.

R10500

Newly Enlightened
wouldn't that risk a burnout or something? mine comes with an 8700mAh battery.

jayrob

Enlightened
wouldn't that risk a burnout or something? mine comes with an 8700mAh battery.

I do believe that the ballast is matched with the bulbs in this design...

And in either case, you are putting the same voltage to the ballast/bulb. And the current/Voltage to bulb is controlled by the ballast. So you can swap bulbs/ballasts, and the same battery is used.

When you buy a bulb, it is with it's own ballast...

Get the 85W 4300K...

R10500

Newly Enlightened
I do believe that the ballast is matched with the bulbs in this design...

And in either case, you are putting the same voltage to the ballast/bulb. And the current/Voltage to bulb is controlled by the ballast. So you can swap bulbs/ballasts, and the same battery is used.

When you buy a bulb, it is with it's own ballast...

Get the 85W 4300K...

So in other words, there's no way to overdrive a 55W bulb aforementioned unless i somehow leave an 85W ballast in there with the 55W bulb? ok that helps simplify things a lot. thanks! is it true that 4300k has a slight pinkish tinge to it or is it the usual ebay QC thing?

jayrob

Enlightened
So in other words, there's no way to overdrive a 55W bulb aforementioned unless i somehow leave an 85W ballast in there with the 55W bulb? ok that helps simplify things a lot. thanks! is it true that 4300k has a slight pinkish tinge to it or is it the usual ebay QC thing?

After about a 10 second warm up, mine has a slight pinkish hue yes, but so does my FF3... You don't notice it unless your spotting it right at a white wall at close range...

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry jayrob but you are mistaken, the arc length of 35, 55, & +75w bulb varies greatly and modern ballasts will overdrive any bulb connected, color will change slightly to the red end but arc will be hotter and smaller.