opinions on 65, 75, & 85w ebay lights?

R10500

Newly Enlightened
ok what runtimes are you getting with the battery and your HID(75/85W?)? there's no chance of an oversupply of amps is there though?

jayrob

Enlightened
ok what runtimes are you getting with the battery and your HID(75/85W?)? there's no chance of an oversupply of amps is there though?

No chance to over supply with the same battery/voltage configuration...

It's just more capacity. (more run time between charges)

Have not gotten a chance to test run times/etc yet...

Last edited:

CouldUseALight

Newly Enlightened
I bought my 4300K eBay HID from the linked seller jessie_lighting and the battery pack exhibits less self-discharge than my Olight packs! :duh2:

I may have (probably) just gotten lucky, but had a positive experience with that shop. :thumbsup:

R10500

Newly Enlightened
haha cos you said "one of his" so i thought i was sending my faulty battery back to a man named "jessie". that'd be weird even for someone living in China

R10500

Newly Enlightened
i just asked jessie_lighting about making it with 3400mAh's and she quoted 115$ which strangely is cheaper than the quoted price for a 9300mAh battery pack. Free shipping too. is this too good to be true or is it a dream come true?:huh:

SteveoMiami

Newly Enlightened
Is there a way to replace just the bulb and not the whole ballast? What bulbs would be the best if it is possible?

R10500

Newly Enlightened
as far as i know, no one has done it, apart from digging out the potting material inside the attached ballast. the ebay hid is nice as a cheaper, flashlight style alternative to the likes of the other handheld ones on here, but if you're looking for real throw and power on a budget, go cheap halogen spotlight hosts and do a little modding with hid kits:devil:

SteveoMiami

Newly Enlightened
Sounds good to me, I just have way too many projects underway right now. This is my first experience with HID and I already bought it and it is on the way. Maybe I'll try to dig into the potting material and see what i can find under there.

Drtonyt

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just came over here from LPF(Laser Pointer Forums) and first of all just wanted to say hi!

Also, i asked this question over at LPF but i thought i would join and ask here too..

Is this was ok for what they are asking?

It is a HID 8500 Lumen 85W Smart Torch 2000m Range Law Enforce Edition 9300mAh Panasonic Digital Display Battery, USB Out Cree Q5

He wants AUD$265 with free shipping.

I can post the url if someone tells me it's allowed? I am not familiar with the rules here..
And i have tried to edit my profile and post in other threads here and it said i cant til i get 3 posts? Can i really not update my profile until then?

Thanks.

R10500

Newly Enlightened
I haven't done anything with the parts to the torch myself, but i don't think there'll be much you can do with these ones. some people have done that to solder resistors into those china HID kits to increase output wattage and that's probably all that's possible with stuff like these.

that's hotlinking, so probably not. $265 is way too much to pay for these generic torches. i found myself being ripped off too just paying AU$195 for this package that came with 2 8700mAh batteries. 1 of them failed soon after, and you can find one of them on cnqualitygoods for 60$ for one.

Drtonyt

Newly Enlightened
into those china HID kits to increase output wattage and that's probably all that's possible with stuff like these.

Its actually from a reasonably reputable Australian seller, not from China.. Thats not to say it wasn't made in China though i suppose?? . http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111019131523?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Also the battery has another led torch in it with an lcd screen? I have never seen that before? That is actually what grabbed my attention.

SteveoMiami

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, that sounds expensive. I got mine for $66 shipped but it was a 50% off sale. Check for the light on deal extreme under the brand name rusto, its the same light, its around $150 US and has worldwide free shipping but your link does have a higher quality battery with a longer runtime.

R10500

Newly Enlightened
good job researching :) it's always good to acquaint yourself with the market, or any market for that matter, when you want to get into something. i only wish i'd done more research myself when i bought my HID in january, although i wouldn't say i was cheated or grossly overcharged. mine was the one without the battery runtime function

couver52

Newly Enlightened
[...] could not compete with my Titanium Innovations L35 for lumen output or beam throw. At least not until I swapped it for a 4300K 75w ballast I purchased on ebay, now the output swamps the L35 and *almost* but not quite equal for throw due to the much smaller reflector. Those of you using this ebay HID outdoors, I strongly recommend changing the stock 6000K bulb and ballast to a 4300K one. Only then does the light really come alive.

Yes! Read your post here before taking a chance and buying one of these. This was my first foray into HID flashlights. As you recommended I ordered the 4300K option. And I'm very glad I did. Any higher color temp and I would have been even more disappointed with this flashlight than I am otherwise. I mean, the only thing it's got going for it is its ultra high lumen output. I believe that getting the 4300K bulb allows this one attribute of this otherwise below par flashlight to really shine (no pun intended).

couver52

Newly Enlightened
You know strangely enough you can actually tell the difference in the illumination, the 85W clearly puts out slightly more light. I did not expect that, I was under the impression that the light would be almost in-perceptibly brighter with the 85W. This is the first time I have seen one taken apart and after seeing it I would think that if you made a solid copper slug and threaded it in to the body with thermal compound between the threaded surfaces that the light would dissipate heat very well. I would think that you would also want a DC/DC converter to ensure that the proper V was sent to the bulb though as the voltage would have a pretty wide swing. I don't like the size of that reflector, with a halogen bulb there wouldn't be any throw at all. Maybe in the future I will think about it, but I might just save up all the money I make for the rest of my life and buy a Nightsword.
This is obviously a day late and a dollar short for this old thread. But I'm going to post here anyway. I just bought one of these eBay HID flashlights. Had the vendor change the bulb, which gave a color temp of 6000K, to one giving out 4300K. Oh, and it's an 85 Watt. All I can say about this light is that it sure is bright. Other than the brightness however, there's not much praise I can give this flashlight. The reasons are the same as what has already been shared by others before me here, so I won't bother rehashing them. I do want to mention however that I am attempting to improve this flashlight by modifying it. The first thing that I see is wrong with this light is the really lousy reflector. It's part parabolic and part just a cylinder. I've looked into buying a full parabolic reflector to replace it with. There's two ways I can go with this: 1) completely rebuild the head to accomodate a full parabolic reflector of somewhat greater width and depth, or 2) try the easier, but less likely to satisfy, route of merely lengthening the head to accomodate a much deeper full parabolic reflector (of the same width as the original). Not yet ready to attempt building a whole new head from scratch, I've opted to try the latter first. It's going to cost me $95 for a very good reflectivity full parabolic reflector. If this reflector proves to provide the better beam profile I am after, then I will lengthen the head to enclose it and have a better HID flashlight. If, on the other hand, this configuration fails to deliver the kind of beam I'm hoping for (i.e. highly collimated, low angle of divergence) I'll give serious consideration to buying a wider (bigger) full parabolic reflector, which, if the resulting beam is satisfactory enough, will then of course require taking on the building of a bigger head. But at this point, my focus is on the deeper reflector of same width. Unless something or someone happens to convince me otherwise, I'll be parting with $100 to purchase this reflector for this in the next day or two. Any constructive comments, criticisms, advice, links to resources, etc. are eagerly welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
Couver52