• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / NICHIA 92CRI (part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadsled9

Newly Enlightened
You are comparing two different metrics. Dave's currents are the emitter drive current, which for one Li-Ion is not too far from the current drawn from the battery, since the voltages are close, in the 3 to 4 volt range.

On the Malkoffs, Gene reports the current in, or tailcap draw, and for two CR123's, which is at 6 volts. So while some of the power will be lost in ineffeciency of the buck circuit, most of it will go toward a higher (than 650 mA) drive current at the emitter. So considering this, I think they are both reporting about the same output to power consumption ratios, the numbers they report just can't be directly compared to one another.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm learning too!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dave-
I'm wondering if you've ever tried de-doming the XML?

If its not a terrible hassle, it might be a neat option to have for an extra 20-30$

Just an idea - I've never done it so I don't know how hard it is.

af112566

Newly Enlightened
ill take one nichia 4500k 92cri module.
**1 amp.** 3 level lo/med/hi w/memory.
2.8-6v. w/op reflector.also potting and tape.
$40.00 total. paypal sent..
thanks.

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dave-
I'm wondering if you've ever tried de-doming the XML?

If its not a terrible hassle, it might be a neat option to have for an extra 20-30$

Just an idea - I've never done it so I don't know how hard it is.

Hi

Have you some threads that make this seem sensible, Big Chelis pretty much disproved this with SST 90's and such. It would only cost extra money if it ruined the emitter. I have always considered dedoming much like the folks that take a gallon of paint and add 1/2 gallon of water, if it was OK to do this I figure the manufacturer would do it instead of selling all paint.:)

If this is something you want I am sure I can probably pry one off, your call but I can not guarantee the effects it would have. I realize some did this with the SST series but from what BC wrote it certainly did not increase lumens. Some say it increases throw but throw is very subjective.

Dave

headers

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I overpaid in paypal transaction 35W82263VV4532202, but no worries. I was going off Part 8 of this thread.

I actually want a

Cree XM-L T40 flux bin 6A3 3500k Warm white
2 level HI / Low 2.8 amps
Potted + 5 USD
Op reflector

though the paypal says T30 (again as I was referencing Part 8)

Thanks, SDB

jiuong

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dave,
I would like to order the following:
1)
1 nichia 4500k 92CRI neutral $35
3 level 2.8-6 volts
1.4 amp
op reflector
potting with copper tape + $5

2)
1 T60 flux bin 3C 5000k daylight white XML
3 level / 2.8 amp /3.4 - 9 volts (high / med / low with memory ) $45
op reflector
potting with copper tape $5

Priority Mail Int. $15

Total: $105.00

Paypal sent: Unique Transaction ID # ***********023619

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

Have you some threads that make this seem sensible, Big Chelis pretty much disproved this with SST 90's and such. It would only cost extra money if it ruined the emitter. I have always considered dedoming much like the folks that take a gallon of paint and add 1/2 gallon of water, if it was OK to do this I figure the manufacturer would do it instead of selling all paint.:)

If this is something you want I am sure I can probably pry one off, your call but I can not guarantee the effects it would have. I realize some did this with the SST series but from what BC wrote it certainly did not increase lumens. Some say it increases throw but throw is very subjective.

Dave

Gotcha- the throw is measurably increased and total output decreased

I think 20% with each or so depending on the emitter.

Sometimes the tint is changed a bit too.

I'll read up more on it ;)
Thanks!

thundertree

Enlightened
:paypal: from thundertree for:

Two (2) XM-L drop-ins each confirgured as follows:

Cree XM-L $40 per each
U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White
2.8 - 6 volts @ 4.2 amps
2 level HI / Low Regulated with memory
Smooth reflector
Potting option w copper tape $5 per each
Total = $90

Unique Transaction ID # 4TL69752C2827472R

Much thanks!!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I overpaid in paypal transaction 35W82263VV4532202, but no worries. I was going off Part 8 of this thread.

I actually want a

Cree XM-L T40 flux bin 6A3 3500k Warm white
2 level HI / Low 2.8 amps
Potted + 5 USD
Op reflector

though the paypal says T30 (again as I was referencing Part 8)

Thanks, SDB

Hi

Refund issued, 1st class shipping in the US is always included.

Thanks for the order

Dave

Last edited:

Yogi1Kanobee

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dave,

I know nothing about dropins etc, but I need one for my night vision set up. I've been told what I need is a -

IR platinum dragon p60 dropin required, to be used in solarforce l2p host, using protected rechargeable 18650.
850nm,
even flood required at as close to 10m spread at 50m as possible please.
3 mode
potted

Could I order one of these please?

Best Regards

Way

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave,

I know nothing about dropins etc, but I need one for my night vision set up. I've been told what I need is a -

IR platinum dragon p60 dropin required, to be used in solarforce l2p host, using protected rechargeable 18650.
850nm,
even flood required at as close to 10m spread at 50m as possible please.
3 mode
potted

Could I order one of these please?

Best Regards

Way

HI

Yes that is not a problem, I have those in stock. Price is $45 with shipping in the US included, 1st class Int is $5

Thanks

Dave

Yogi1Kanobee

Newly Enlightened
HI

Yes that is not a problem, I have those in stock. Price is $45 with shipping in the US included, 1st class Int is $5

Thanks

Dave

I'm not able to PM you for paypal details or view your profile, I guess because I don't have the minimum posts. Would you be able to PM me the details?

Last edited:

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
Dave,

I received my drop-ins and I couldn't be more tickled with the XPG. Not sure why I never tried it before. Question for you:

I have never really understood what to do with the springs. All my bodies are bored Surefire 6p's. Can you explain how they are really supposed to fit. I have always just cut them to one circumference so that the top outside ridge of the drop in makes contact with the top opening of the light and the copper tape fits snug. Is this right? Or should you leave more spring with the 6p so that it sticks up higher and then apply the copper tape. Basically, does the light need some spring inside the head for reliability. I have never had a problem with them pushed all the way but I was just curious.

With full spring...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

with one turn...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
I am adding a second post because I didn't want my comments to get diluted with my technical question above. The 3.5 amp XML is bright as heck and lights up my whole back yard. I am using it with the large Cryos cooling head and a Larue Tactical rail mount. After ten minutes on high with an ambient temp of 85 degF it was warm to the touch but not hot by any means anywhere on the head or body. I am using the copper tape which makes snug contact inside the head. The extra surface area of the LARGER Cryos head works amazing at keeping things cool. This is going to make a great weapon light although since I am running an 2000 mah IMR for reliability, I will only get about 30 minutes on high and 11 hours on low. Side by side with my non scientific eye, low on the 3.5 amp XML looks a little more than half as bright as medium on the 1.4 amp XPG. Something weird I noticed, comparing both on low side by side, the XML looks rosy to me while the XPG looks more yellow. This color difference is not visible in either module on high.

Now for my comments on the XPG. While the hot spot of the XML seems bigger and it is obviously putting out more than double the lumens, I was comparing both lights side by side shining them on a palm tree approx. 100 yards away. To my eye, the XPG is brighter on the tree trunk than the XML, although the XML is lighting up a significantly larger area. The fact that this drop-in (with a 2900 mah battery) will run approx. 2 hours on high, almost 7 hours on medium (30%) and approx. 42 hours on low makes it very appealing to me for a backpacking or walking light, super bright with great runtime.

I have two other XML's in the 5000k which had what appeared to be very natural colors to my eye so I wasn't sure I would like the cooler beam, but they are still very white with none of that "flourescent" look I hate so much. I don't think the green of the trees looks as natural with the 6200k, but it is very subtle and I am very impressed with the sheer lumen output of the cooler color.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

I received my drop-ins and I couldn't be more tickled with the XPG. Not sure why I never tried it before. Question for you:

I have never really understood what to do with the springs. All my bodies are bored Surefire 6p's. Can you explain how they are really supposed to fit. I have always just cut them to one circumference so that the top outside ridge of the drop in makes contact with the top opening of the light and the copper tape fits snug. Is this right? Or should you leave more spring with the 6p so that it sticks up higher and then apply the copper tape. Basically, does the light need some spring inside the head for reliability. I have never had a problem with them pushed all the way but I was just curious.

HI

You are supposed to do exactly what you are doing with the spring. You need to leave at least one ring of the spring to make a good ground, I send a whole spring becuase some members may be using a after market lamphead much like you are that can increase the pocket length. While I have not tested a Cryos head you may be able to use more than one ring with that lamphead and your 6P vs a stock head . The spring should be cut long enough to keep the module from rattling inside the lamphead and to keep good contact on the battery with out needing undo force to close the lamphead. Too short and it may not contact the batteries properly since there can be up to several MM difference in length between protected and non protected batts.

While a 6P / C2 / Z2 may only take one ring a Solarforce L2P will take a whole spring as will several others this is why I send a whole spring, if you have a couple of surefires cut one ring off each end of a single spring and save the other spring in case you buy a host that takes a whole spring and that way you can use a module in both.

Dave

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info Dave. There is a little rattle when the battery isn't in so I will add some more spring.

New order, from repeat customer DaveTheDude:

One NICHIA 4500k 92CRI neutral drop-in.
3 level high / med / low 2.8-6 volts with memory / 1.4 amp / 1.7 amp
Potted
Light Orange Peel Reflector

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 85819995B26157644)

Address and contact information included in PayPal notes.
Payment for potting, shipping, etc. included.

Continuing thanks for sharing the fruits of your hobby with the rest of us...

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
New order, from repeat customer DaveTheDude:

One NICHIA 4500k 92CRI neutral drop-in.
3 level high / med / low 2.8-6 volts with memory / 1.4 amp / 1.7 amp
Potted
Light Orange Peel Reflector

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 85819995B26157644)

Address and contact information included in PayPal notes.
Payment for potting, shipping, etc. included.

Continuing thanks for sharing the fruits of your hobby with the rest of us...

Hi Amigo

I can easily make it 1.4 or 1.7 amps your call, let me know.

Thanks for the kind words

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.