• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger, now with Nichia 119-H1 High CRI

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
OK, I'm ready to order a 2AAA high-CRI Eiger for my daughter, who is in medical school. But I don't see a choice that specifically says "momentary" or "2AAA." How can I select a 2AAA body?

Thank you for the reply and also for making this available to the CPF community! I'll just have to be patient and wait to complete my penlight. For the time being, I can't wait to get this little torch in my hands!

Sorry for the confusion. 2AAA bodies are still in production. When ready, they will be listed on their own page, with switch and head options.

We are also planning a AAA specific clip that will work with the 2AAA setup

If the stock levels are to be believed I just bought the last normal AAA sized light with the Nichia LED. I followed the pay now, think later philosophy.

We release high demand items at staggard times, to give other time zones a shot.

Figure I could flip on MP if I am not happy with it. I doubt that will be the case. Damn you Oveready and your sourcing prowess.

All OR shipments include a 30 day unconditional satisfaction guarantee.

Are all the heads with the Nichia 119 the same type of head since the bodies are interchangeable?

All Eiger heads work on all Eiger bodies and all Logan heads work on all Logan bodies.

ravot

Newly Enlightened
You can see them both in the center of this image. The 280 is the same length as a long door key. The 180 is more like a padlock key, about 2 inches. The choice is better made relative to lumen use and runtime. The 180 is better run usually on low, sometimes on high. The 280 is better for 'usually high' use.

We don't have numbers yet, but runtime on high at these sizes is usually measured in minutes, not hours. If you want to recharge only once a week with occasional use, get the 280 for sure.

The Cree is visibly brighter. But with the cool color, there's also more glare. I would guess the Nichia to be half as bright, probably under 100 lumens. Its really how important color is to you. If you need to accurately read maps or diagnose based on skin color, totally worth it. For just walking down dark stairs, not so much.

Sounds like the XPG to me. But either way you select, an exchange is no problem.

thanks again for the help and information, much appreciated. one more thing,
This cell is unprotected, avoid deep discharge.

what does that mean on the rechargeable battery? not familiar with that terminology.

thanks!

archimedes

Flashaholic
....We don't have numbers yet, but runtime on high at these sizes is usually measured in minutes, not hours. If you want to recharge only once a week with occasional use, get the 280 for sure....

Doing some rough calculations, based on prior XP-G data-sheets from Curt, I calculate a runtime of approximately 11 minutes on max ("#8 power") - to 50% output - with a 200 mAh Li-Ion 10280 .... that is, if I have done the math correctly :)

Of course, a 10180 will have much less capacity, and runtime, than a 10280. Also, keep in mind that those times are for max output - the great utility of the QTC with these bitty lights is that you can dial up only as much light as you need or want. Since the QTC is not really a resistor, it is incredibly efficient, thereby preserving runtime dramatically with lower output (as opposed to just wasting it as excess heat).

Although I haven't done a proper runtime test, these numbers do seem reasonable based on my everyday use of these tiny Eiger batteries and tubes.

These make great keychain lights, I now use my 10180 Eiger daily. Thanks much for providing this new High-CRI emitter option, I am very tempted ....

thanks again for the help and information, much appreciated. one more thing,
This cell is unprotected, avoid deep discharge. what does that mean on the rechargeable battery? not familiar with that terminology.
thanks!

For safety, Li-Ion cells need to be kept within their proper voltage range at all times. Overcharging, or over-discharging, can cause problems - :poof: Protected cells include a circuit that monitors voltage to help prevent or minimize damage from improper use, but adds to the size of the cell (and introduces a bit of power drain). Since 10180 and 10280 batteries are designed to be as small as possible and have very limited capacity, they are not generally available with protection circuits.

Last edited:

sassaquin

Enlightened
Even though I just purchased a Peak SS QTC 10180 this week, I couldn't pass up another one with a Nichia 119-H1 high CRI. My first one arrived today and I can't believe how tough and super tiny it is. Gonna have to put this little fella on a P-7 suspension clip.
Four 10180 and five 10280 with the Nichia 119-H1 high CRI are still available.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Does this mean you have more 17500 Logans stashed away?

We have a few bodies and heads left, but are temporarily out of the momentary switches that make them so compelling. I may put the remainder up, minus the switch option.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Any chance of purchasing only the Oveready High-CRI head ???

I already have just about every variation of Eiger body/battery tube at this point :D

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure thing. Head Only option added to the AAA page
Now THAT's what I call responding to the market!
Thanks to your "head only" option, I've just ordered one high-CRI head. Now I'll wait for the 2AAA (corrected from 2AA) QTC body with momentary switch. That body in stainless steel, combined with the Nichia head, will make the best medical penlight the world has ever seen....a penlight that would probably sell well if targeted to physicians and emergency medical technicians.

Am I a great dad, or what? :)

Last edited:

sprinkle

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered an Al AAA version. This will be my first Peak light. The high CRI 4500K along with the QTC was just too much to resist. Looking forward to getting it!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will be my first Peak light. The high CRI 4500K along with the QTC was just too much to resist. Looking forward to getting it!

I'm with you. Ordered a SS Eiger with the high CRI emitter - plus a 10180 body and a AAA body...I guess they'll ride along with the Logan I ordered yesterday!

EDIT - I have a (hopefully not dumb) question...since the high CRI Eiger will function with the 3.7V 10180 battery, logically it'll function with a 10440 in a AAA body, right?

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElectronGuru,
what is the difference between the older momentary switches, and the current QTCs? Do they just have the secondary spring and post removed?

Any other specials coming? maybe some R4 5B neutral Logans?

bmcgators98

Enlightened
Placed and order for the high CRI Eiger today. I have the McGizmo Haiku with the same Nichia-119. This LED is perfect IMO, great CRI and at a tint of 4500K it is not too yellow. Should be fantastic in a Peak QTC format. If they could put some of these LED in the Logan head it would be great.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is the difference between the older momentary switches, and the current QTCs? Do they just have the secondary spring and post removed?

Same switches just with the secondary spring and post removed, as you correctly note.

eala

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
If they could put some of these LED in the Logan head it would be great.

Sorry, cells larger than 10440 drive the Nichia to hard, without a regulator.

Any other specials coming? maybe some R4 5B neutral Logans?

This is the only one currently in the channel, but given the obvious demand...

ElectronGuru,

Correct. The only difference on momentaries to be used with QTC bodies is the removal the center post and spring. Adapting a switch from an older body takes just seconds.