• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger, now with Nichia 119-H1 High CRI

fyrstormer

Banned
These and standard Eigers utilize AR Lexan (anti reflective polycarbonate).
Interesting. My Eiger Rebel Medium #6 has an exposed plastic optic. The dings on the optic don't affect the beam since it's already partly diffused, but I do kinda wish the optic were protected.

EDIT: At least, I think the optic is exposed. Now you've got me all confused. :sigh:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct, I run my Eiger with 10440's, and sometimes eneloops. :)

Thanks, PSM. I expect this to be a 'sleeper' - a very useful light, especially having the ability to swap between 10440 and 10180 bodies...having said, we all know what will happen (in true flashaholic form) - I'll end up ordering an additional Eiger head! :eek: (EDIT - cool white SS XPG QTC head ordered!)

Do you notice any appreciable difference (run time, brightness) between the Eneloop and the 10440?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks, PSM. I expect this to be a 'sleeper' - a very useful light, especially having the ability to swap between 10440 and 10180 bodies...having said, we all know what will happen (in true flashaholic form) - I'll end up ordering an additional Eiger head! :eek: (EDIT - cool white SS XPG QTC head ordered!)

Do you notice any appreciable difference (run time, brightness) between the Eneloop and the 10440?

Sure, with the Eneloop it is bright, and with the 10440 it is bright ! - about 60 lumens on 1.2v Eneloop vs about 230 lumens on 3.6v Li-Ion :D

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The dings on the optic don't affect the beam since it's already partly diffused, but I do kinda wish the optic were protected.

EDIT: At least, I think the optic is exposed. Now you've got me all confused. :sigh:

Sorry for the confusion. Eigers now (and to my knowledge always) have had polycarb lenses. Despite the anti scratch coating, they are more susceptible to scratches than glass. Peak believes (and we agree) that this is preferable to the possibility of broken glass in your pocket from such a keychain friendly format. The result is a lens that looks, feels, and behaves much like an exposed optic.

These have no voltage booster, so more voltage = more output. Only 2AAA Eneloop can get close to the brightness of a single lithium ion cell.

archimedes

Flashaholic
These have no voltage booster, so more voltage = more output. Only 2AAA Eneloop can get close to the brightness of a single lithium ion cell.

Agreed, but it may be worth pointing out that 2x Eneloops = 2.4v, while 2x L92 = 3.0v (and thus the latter will be brighter) ... while a 10440 is 3.6v (nominal).

EDIT: Also, I think the Eiger circuit may have voltage boost (to a minimum Vf drive output), but no buck. Therefore, if voltage input exceeds the boost level, the light goes into direct drive and increases output. Maybe Curt could post here to clarify?

Last edited:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Archimedes said +1.

My most recent batch of new L92's measured 1.8v starting out - two of these in an Eiger Penlight are (to my old eyes at least) very nearly as bright as an Eiger with a 10440.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of the body options seem to include the momentary switch. If I want the switch, do I purchase the long keychain body and then get the momentary switch separately?

Please forgive my ignorance of how Peak configurations are handled.

--flatline

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just placed my order after mulling this over for a couple days. The 119 H1 is my favorite emitter of all time, so this was too tempting to pass up.

Dan: I'm not super picky so whatever arrives is fine, but if I ordered a AAA Eiger with the "AAA Short Keychain - SS QTC (+10.00)" body, exactly what body is this? Is the body material stainless steel (to match the head) and does it have the screw-in split-ring attachment or is it lug style?

Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind, got it all figured out.

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I ordered the 4th to last one. I received an email from Dan saying that they were out of the mom switches and that they were working with Peak throughout the weekend to get it sorted out. He even offered to change my order or to give me a refund. That's good customer service in my book. That and the fact that its a high CRI Eiger is the reason that I will be giving Dan all the time he needs to get the mom switch sorted out.

fyrstormer

Banned
Sorry for the confusion. Eigers now (and to my knowledge always) have had polycarb lenses. Despite the anti scratch coating, they are more susceptible to scratches than glass. Peak believes (and we agree) that this is preferable to the possibility of broken glass in your pocket from such a keychain friendly format. The result is a lens that looks, feels, and behaves much like an exposed optic.
Thanks for the clarification. I can see how broken glass would be unpleasant, but in theory the same risk applies to other lights like the Fenix LD01, and I haven't (yet) heard of anyone with a lense that broke in their pocket.

I think the risk could be further minimized by filling the space between the lense and the front of the optic with Norland epoxy, to form a rigid interface between the two so the lense couldn't flex and break. Just an idea, if you feel like testing it with a pocket full of rocks. ;)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just awesome. Absolutely awesome. My stainless high CRI Eiger showed up today and the tint is so great. Just a couple of low quality iphone photos, but they tell the story.

Top is the Eiger - bottom is a VERY high quality well known custom maker's warm XPG light. Make no mistake - I love 'that' light, but you'll notice the effects of PWM on the photo (the light is on medium.) I'm not sensitive to it with my eyes, but my iPhone sure saw it!
PicasaUp.jpg

Now, this is compared to a T1A. Granted, it's tough to get the Eiger to a low setting and have it 'hold', but once you do, here's what it looks like next to the T1A as low as it will go.
PicasaUp.jpg

I have my new 'through the night' light!
Thanks for modding these with the high CRI emitters, Oveready! Any chance you can drop those emitters in some of the Logans?

S1LVA

Enlightened
May I please ask what clip is on your Eiger? Does that come with the long key/mom bodies?

It is the Oveready clip for the Logans. PSM ground it down to custom fit the Eiger. Looks great!

S1LVA

P.s. what an appropriate thread to have my 119th post in ;)

Diablo_331

Enlightened
S1LVA said:
It is the Oveready clip for the Logans. PSM ground it down to custom fit the Eiger. Looks great!

S1LVA

That looks very good! Does he still make or offer them by any chance? Sorry for all of the questions!
Thanks,
Colby

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

S1LVA

S1LVA is correct, but credit goes to Deaths Head. His idea, not mine :)

I put the clip on the eiger, and drew a line with a sharpie to know how much I needed to grind off. I ground it down with a dremel, it was easy. Now its the perfect work EDC! (Medical, that high CRI is great!)

sprinkle

Newly Enlightened
I received my AAA Eiger light today and let me say... WOW! This is a beautiful beam of light! This is my first high CRI light and so far I am really liking it! Now I just need to get a momentary switch for it!

Couple quick questions though. I am not very familiar with Peak as this is my first one and there was not any paperwork with the light. What is the battery voltage range these will take? Will these take Li-Ion and if so will it be brighter?