Peak LED press release:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
As new as I am to the upper end flashlight world (I think I joined this forum in early spring) I read about far too many legal battle's that do seem be "future profit line" motivated, I don't understand the buisness model.I know from musical equipment manufactor's that defending in court is more expensive then most R&D. using m@g as an example,(since this is a multi "LED" battle, and M@g doesn't even offer one LED light) the company is rolling in money, I am postively certain that using there capital to hire crack talent to design a product, let's say a solitaire LED that uses the newest brightest LED's we keep hearing about, with a regulation circuit riveling the best of any other, a engineer specializing in micro electronics, to shrink the whole circuit down to just barely bigger then the battery,
they could have a magnificent keychain LED light.

And with there massive sales base, (i think i can go anywhere and get a m@g product, even grocery stores) there is no way a suit to block 2000 lost sales to brand X is going to be more profitable then what the general wal-mart crowd who buys 99% of these lights will ringup in sales in a yr?
The article someone linked up about Mr m@g had stated enormous dollar amount's for litigation, a third of those legal cost's diverted to R&D for this new light would be a much more profitable venture then hiring legal and investigation teams that wait for the newest AA light copy to come off the dock's.(which i have heard M@G actually does)
business wise, its a no brainer and sometimes all this legal knee capping has turned around on some companies, you can only beat on competition so much before someone finds a chink in the armor, like tax's, labor,contracting etc, that end up being far more a finacial burden then litigation. VDG

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the patent Analoq fround:
"The flashlight assembly of claim 7, wherein said plurality of LED's are arranged in a circular array and said plurality of apertures in said end wall are also arranged in a circular array corresponding to said circular array of LED's. "
It's really looking like Inova. They are a pretty huge company with a lot to lose. Its a shame since I really like their products but this is the kind of bully tactic that turns me off.

newo

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Analog said:
US patent#6,840,653
Assignee: Emissive Energy Corp.
www.uspto.gov

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Specificially, here .

It is apparent why Peak elected to settle.

I would speculate that either Emissive has declined to license this, or Peak couldn't or wouldn't pay the price.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
Interesting. While we don't know it's Emissive Energy, that certainly does appear to be the case.

Looking at the above referenced patent information, I can't really blame them for taking Peak to task. It may seem like bullying... but if they own the rights, they own the rights.

Still, it is a shame. Peak makes some darn nice lights, based on what I've read. Perhaps their upcoming Luxeon-based lights can save the company.

Mark2

Enlightened
So NightCutter must have paid or will be next, their Sport models are very similar to the X5, even more so than the Peaks IMHO.

It's ridiculous what can be patented. One should patent a battery operated device that emits light... But the worst thing is that they only sue the companies in the USA and Europe where they can push their claim through. All the far-east manufacturers who produce tons of lights seem to be out of reach. Another disadvantage for manufacturing in the USA/Europe... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
That stinks. That makes it official; every model of light that I had been wanting to order from Peak has been discontinued. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Stupid lawsuit. A pox on whichever company sued and caused this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Analog

Newly Enlightened
Thank you newo for the direct link for all other members to view w/o the hassle of searching. If you are idealistic about your favorite manufacturer do not view their patents. Marc2 the far east manufacturers might be out of reach, but I believe the importer of those products which infringe upon patents aren't.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
IANAL (I am not a lawyer), but I thought patents couldn't be issued if there was "prior art", i.e. if the patented idea was made and sold by someone before the patent was issued. It sure seems there were a lot of multi-LED recessed lights made and sold before the date of that patent, or am I wrong?

Anyone who actually knows care to comment?

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
for what its worth there were a number of multi led lights being offerred by vendors at the CES show back in January.

but speaking of patents .... i've been pretty peev'd at the number of patents applied and awarded to recently to companies for "the use of a heat sink (or sinks) on leds" or multi led configurations, just to remove the heat!!!...i still can't get over that......thats screwy.....just does not seem right....

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

What a bunch of BS! Peak's 5 UV LED AA light was one of my EDCs overseas. My AA 5 Red LED and white LED AA heads do look a little like my X5's (I was given those) my 3 LED AAA does not though...unless you have a few too many beers.

The good thing about it is their Luxeon versions are rolling out, if you want more than one LED...the variable output Luxeons would be your best bet. Hopefully I can order one in UV...

tech

Newly Enlightened
Is it too late for me to get a patent on flashlights with one light emitting source in the middle?

*sheesh*

T

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
So I guess Streamlight's paying up, too? For their ProPolymer LED model, the one with the seven circularly-arrayed LEDs? Sheesh, mainly because they could just buy out EE if they wanted to.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cromagnet - want to share with me/us who might have some Peaks - I just want a McKinley 7 led so no conflict with your wanted lights. There are places who have them listed - 2 I know of but they don't really have any stock it seems.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
voodoogreg - good points - hopefully this WILL turn to bite them in the a** in a big way. I've read a fair amount of the patent and I can't believe they even got the patent. They have not invented a bloody thing - it is just a logical design for holding LED's. It is way to vague - it could cover so many lights - but they have chosen (assuming it is Inova) to go after Peak for any number of reasons - all of them bad reasons. They are calling the totally simple stuff in their patent an 'invention' - It's nothing special at all and certainly not an invention. It's just common sense design that any number of school kids I knew could have come up with. In fact the 8 LED light I just bought on Ebay for 39 cents so totally fits that patent and other than one extra LED is so much like the Peak that you would have to ask why (or if) they haven't threatened/sued them too. (See http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60840&item=5754429642&rd=1 or just search item # 5754429642 ) The reason of course is they are based in Hong Kong and they wouldn't get away with it there. Knowing the way things work there Inova would probably find some executives missing in short order if they tried pulling that nonsense over there. Full Moon is out. I think that has added to the 'rant factor' on this situation. shaman of the matrix ...

Analog

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
robstarr-lite said:
for what its worth there were a number of multi led lights being offerred by vendors at the CES show back in January.

but speaking of patents .... i've been pretty peev'd at the number of patents applied and awarded to recently to companies for "the use of a heat sink (or sinks) on leds" or multi led configurations, just to remove the heat!!!...i still can't get over that......thats screwy.....just does not seem right....

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe the important part of Peaks public statement is the date( Feb 24th) at which they will no longer sell their lights. Lets see who is still manufacturing and selling these lights now? They(Peak)chose to litigate instead of change their design. Lets hope Peak comes back with an improved model that doesn't infringe upon the current patent.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well let's see, the Trek lights have been around a lot longer then the Inova's. Maybe they should sue EE for producting lights with more then one LED. Hopefully the facts will come out.