• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Logan QTC stopped working...

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if it is in the pill or something more serious. It's a Peak HA Logan QTC which I am pretty sure is a medium as it has the frosted lens with the little micro dots. Anyways one night I had this on very low and kept it running over night and next morning it was off. I replaced the battery and nothing, no flicker no poof, no nothing. I just took the pill and donut out and there is a little black rubber cap with a nipple that fits in the hole in the bottom center where a negative contact screw would be if it was a non QTC model. I got the QTC pill apart and everything looked ok and the QTC was still in the middle little recessed area. Not sure if it matters which way the metal discs go back together but I put them together with both metal disks with the tiny center spike both facing inward toward the QTC (with the hole cut out of the center). If this is correct and the light does nothing with a fresh battery is there anything else to consider trying before sending it in to Bob or Curt? Just seems strange it was working flawlessly and then just out of nowhere it fails to work at all. I hope I can get it to work again as this one the QTC ramped perfectly a lot better than the Brass QTC Logan I had.

Last edited:

Curt R

Enlightened
To determine if the QTC or the head is not working with a
key ring adapter body:

1. Remove the QTC pill and the foam rubber plug and the key ring adapter.
2. Insert a battery and screw on the head.
3. Use a short length of metal, (paper clip, screw driver, etc), and make
contact between the battery case and the back of the battery.
4. If the light comes on it is not the head. If it will still not work then we
have a condition known as 'electronic component infant mortality'.
This will normally happen within the first couple of hours with electronics.

Curt

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank Curt. I tried your suggestion and it must be infant mortality... I did just try the Logan head on a McKinley body and it does work. So maybe it is with the body of the Logan. Is the rounded hump of the rubber plug supposed to be facing down into the hole or facing towards the battery negative end?

manoloco

Enlightened
Curt meant by electronics infant mortality when the head electronics go bad early on its operation days/moments.

if the head works in another body the problem may be the negative contact somewhere, i would, in this order:

-try a third or even fourth battery
-clean both sides of the QTC assembly.
-clean the threading that connects the body to the head (both the one in the head but more importantly the threads in the battery compartment)
-carefully check the QTC pill assembly

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I took out the rubber plug completely and re-assembled and now it works normally. Thinking out loud now, how can it even work if the rubber plug is between the bottom of the body and the center hole and the bottom metal QTC pill? What is the rubber plug even for?

manoloco

Enlightened
Ok I took out the rubber plug completely and re-assembled and now it works normally. Thinking out loud now, how can it even work if the rubber plug is between the bottom of the body and the center hole and the bottom metal QTC pill? What is the rubber plug even for?

I will make a couple of assumptions here because i havent used a QTC Peak (My QTC Logan is on the way) besides my own modded QTC Kilimanjaro:

The rubber plug could be to hold the QTC capsule in place, or to prevent battery rattle, i i have a rubber donut glued to the bottom of my Kili body to prevent battery rattle. cant tell for sure what you mean about your rubber plug without an image or longer description.

If its any of the parts i mentioned what could have happened is that when you ran the light overnight, it might have went to a higher level by itself because QTC pill sometimes accomodates to its enclosure varying its compression; this could have caused an overheat and the rubber part deformed a little, enough to come out of place blocking the negative path of the light.

again, just an assumption.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The QTC Logan already has a foam donut that fits around the ridge of the QTC pill so the little plug looks like it was just to plug the hole where the screw in negative screw normally is in Logans but they don't use them in the QTC models so there is an empty tapped thread underneath the keychain attachment.

I talked to Bob and he said they are not needed and he usually throws them away when installing the momentary switches. Not sure why they are there and he didn't seem to know either.

manoloco

Enlightened
Ah, now i know what you are talking about, that little plug should be between the brass negative contact screw and the keyring accesory.

you remove it when you install a momentary switch, it seems it was in the wrong place.

Curt R

Enlightened
That plug is in there to prevent water or junk from entering
the battery compartment when the key ring adapter is removed.
It should be just under the key ring adapter and not inside the
the threaded hole where the solid battery contact goes in non-QTC
lights.

Curt

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
you remove it when you install a momentary switch, it seems it was in the wrong place.

Sounds like the foam plug was forced up into the body and under the QTC disk, preventing the disk from touching the bottom of the body. Perhaps a momentary switch was installed without first removing the plug?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Curt, that makes sense.

That plug is in there to prevent water or junk from entering
the battery compartment when the key ring adapter is removed.
It should be just under the key ring adapter and not inside the
the threaded hole where the solid battery contact goes in non-QTC
lights.

Curt

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the former owner Busseguy poked around in there before he sold it to me. I had a brass Logan I sent back to Bob but I never took it apart so I had no reference as to where specific parts were supposed to be located.

Sounds like the foam plug was forced up into the body and under the QTC disk, preventing the disk from touching the bottom of the body. Perhaps a momentary switch was installed without first removing the plug?

busseguy

Enlightened
Maybe the former owner Busseguy poked around in there before he sold it to me. I had a brass Logan I sent back to Bob but I never took it apart so I had no reference as to where specific parts were supposed to be located.

Nope. I never took it apart, just played with it a few minutes before putting it up for sale.

I am glad you got it working again :thumbsup: