PFlexpro lights and drop ins

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
First time to post four times in a row in one thread but:

This dropin is excellent. Very reliable function and nice tint. Programmed just right. Easy to determine battery state-of-charge. I have ordered a 10A switch from Dell Superman...

On the PFlexPRO website, Randy lists a Convoy C8 Advanced Programming option with a forward clicky switch. That would be more than enough throw for most people if equipped with an XP-L Hi (and a preferred tint) in a relatively compact flashlight. Definitely spring for an Anti-Reflective lens. So nice.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Removing the lovely anodized 6P hosts is very recent, yes. What is very interesting are the new triple S2Plus flashlights, Both the Nichia 219B and 219C!

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had questions for Randy at PFlexPRO about the Nichia offerings (4000K for the 219B, 5000K for the 219C) and also asked about the anodized Surefire hosts. He had two left. I asked for one and private messaged theOdore about the other. He's looking to get an Oveready BOSS tonight (exciting) so now I will post an image of the Surefire. Note the anodizing variation. Black dyed anodizing is so much easier to match parts.

https://goo.gl/photos/cAoZyxv4EX1t1qWg7

Interesting thing is that Randy told me he will sell this host for the price of a McClicky switch and instal it if the purchaser buys one of his dropins. Email support@pflexpro for precise details.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Randy at PFlexPRO has been working on a quad Nichia 219c P60 dropin for some time now and sold an early production unit to me a few days ago. It is most pleasantly impressive, truly a favorite. While not listed on his website yet, and he is not available until July, I could not help talking about it. Expect beamshots from me in July.

The 5000K 219C D320 has really good color rendering and substantial output. The performance graph supplied for this solid copper dropin shows level 24 (maximum) to be 3231 lumens at 30 seconds with thermal protection already activated by the PFlexPRO Advance Program. (3831 lumens at initial turn on with a Samsung INR 30Q 18650 battery). Throw is listed at 168 meters with an intensity of 7028 candela.
Level 22 outputs ~1200 lumens for over 3 minutes before thermal protection kicks in (temperature protection settings can be adjusted with this firmware). After 5 minutes, level 22 is still above 1000 lumens.

Level 1 looks to be less than 1 lumen (level 2 on the graph shows 1 lumen). Level 16 holds at about 200 lumens and proves to be an ideal setting for abundent light during general navigating.

The hotspot (hot area?) is quite a bit larger than the triple emitter dropins I am used to (all clear, tight optics) with a uniform brightness. Some faint petal contour is evident around the periphery if a person looks for it, as is some tint coloration at the corona when viewed on a white wall. The field experience is completely non distracting, with excellent compatibility for companion throwers equipped with XPL Hi 5000K (and warmer) LED's.

As of our last conversation, Randy plans to offer a brass or copper module, with the copper being more expensive. If you have seen his work before, I can assure you the attention to detail and extra features are spot on. He continues to provide good value for his offerings, compared with other semi-custom makers.

I put it in a single 26650 host (Oveready). This quad is rated for 4.4 volts maximum. As initially configured, the flashlight gets quite hot but not too hot to hold, although it is not left on in level 24 for more than a couple minutes.

A lot of fun and a useful tool

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Said I would provide beamshots in July, but I have been waiting for PFlexPRO to officially offer these copper Nichia Quad P60 dropins on their website; still not there. I am guessing Randy continues to be very busy.

Well here goes anyway: (Click on the far upper right corner where the 'play' symbol and elapsed time of video)

https://goo.gl/photos/7UvU7TNDqv23qTPD8

This is a 10 minute 33 second video comparing a few different flashlights.
Starting about 1:20 shows the Advance Program for field use that I employ.
2:15 compares with a Nichia 219c (also 5000K) dropin from mtnelectronics.
3:20 compares another PFlexPRO; a single emitter P60 XP-L Hi 5000K Advance Program
5:10 is a demonstration of the thrower used in conjunction with the PFlexPRO Quad. I misspoke on the video. It is from illuminationgear.

It is nice when carrying an area light for navigation and a thrower for detailed examination, that they be similar in weight. A 2.5 inch reflector torch is going to weigh more than most other single 18650 lights, but this Quad works well for me with a single 26650 Orbtronic powered Oveready Defense Light. They are very close to being the same weight, keeping one's arms more balanced for extended walks.

Once learned, it is easy to reprogram any given mode in the field. Really the only time I have done it is when the low mode used was not optimum for the existing conditions. It is easy to check battery state-of-charge as well.

I am currently using a CPF member Dell Superman High amperage Judco reverse clicky switch.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Randy got back with me. He has both copper and brass Nichia quad dropins in stock. I believe these are 5000K color temperature, the more efficient emitters with a very acceptable CRI rating but not the highest CRI. One needs to clarify with him what driver he is using. I highly recommend the Advance Program but his other driver may be preferred by you. I will leave it up to him to tell you how much they cost. It is a really good value in my eyes, especially when you see what you get in its entirety.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Randy got back with me. He has both copper and brass Nichia quad dropins in stock. I believe these are 5000K color temperature, the more efficient emitters with a very acceptable CRI rating but not the highest CRI. One needs to clarify with him what driver he is using. I highly recommend the Advance Program but his other driver may be preferred by you. I will leave it up to him to tell you how much they cost. It is a really good value in my eyes, especially when you see what you get in its entirety.

Given the quality I see from Randy I would be interested in getting a quad from him.

Enlightened
I've been really impressed with an S2 that he built. The driver is great and has about any can be set to any mode I could think of wanting.

This is also my first light with an XPL HI and I'm surprised how much throw you can get out of it especially with the small reflector.

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to run the Quad with a McClicky? I suspect because it's direct drive it'll melt the switch. I sent Randy a message on FB messenger but don't know if he checks that. Does anyone sell a spring bypassed Mclicky? I plan to use the Quad drop-in in a 6P.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to run the Quad with a McClicky? I suspect because it's direct drive it'll melt the switch. I sent Randy a message on FB messenger but don't know if he checks that. Does anyone sell a spring bypassed Mclicky? I plan to use the Quad drop-in in a 6P.

I've never tried and in not sure I want to take the risk. Sky lumen sells a bypassed switch setup that will fit surefire.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never tried and in not sure I want to take the risk. Sky lumen sells a bypassed switch setup that will fit surefire.

Randy is very busy so hard to say when he can get back to you. He has enhanced forward and reverse clicky switches. I can post a picture of a new McClicky I experimented with. Melted it with a PFlexPRO Quad and a high drain battery.

In addition to Skylumen (be sure to measure what length of spring you need, thinking it is FS359 switch or something). You can also get a Judco 10 Amp reverse clicky switch right here at candlepowerforums (member Dell Superman)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
What melted in the McClicky? Would a spring bypass have helped or would the melted part have still remained in the current path?

--flatline

Last edited:

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice guys. I don't think a Judco is going to work because according to the specs, the drop-in pulls 12A+. I think I'll take a look at the Skylumen one and see what Randy has to say.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reverse clicky switches are said to be able to handle more current than forward clickies. I use the Dell Superman switch for an XPL HI Quad capable of direct drive (tested by Randy right in front of me at more than 14Amps) powered by high current 26650's. It is likely more capable than the other forward clickies.

A spring bypass will present even more current to the switching mechanism, so that does not make any switch design more capable of handling amperage, but will deliver more power for illumination, right?

Image of tested-to-failure McClicky on left, with functioning McClicky on right:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qh4XJHEjEGPWLxM62

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reverse clicky switches are said to be able to handle more current than forward clickies. I use the Dell Superman switch for an XPL HI Quad capable of direct drive (tested by Randy right in front of me at more than 14Amps) powered by high current 26650's. It is likely more capable than the other forward clickies.

A spring bypass will present even more current to the switching mechanism, so that does not make any switch design more capable of handling amperage, but will deliver more power for illumination, right?

Image of tested-to-failure McClicky on left, with functioning McClicky on right:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qh4XJHEjEGPWLxM62

Thanks again. I might just go with a regular Pflexpro drop-in. I'm considering buying a ZRS (20+ amps) from Oveready, but really want a forward clicky.