PhlatLight new SST-90 LED

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the graph for underdriven performance
From what I gather, at 800mA drive levels it will be sitting at around 2.4 volts :) for 1.92 watts. The thing will be pushing 280 to 300 lumens at that level! We are talking 150 lumens per watt :D
At 1.5 amps, it is sitting at 2.6V for 3.9 watts of drive and cranking out 500 lumens. I am thinking 3D Mag with a buck regulator that will shut down at around 3V naturally to protect the NiMH cells. 500 lumens at 3.9 watts?
Give me 4 of those for room lighting with an adjustable current regulator from 25mA to 3 amps.

ledstein

Newly Enlightened
I requested this item. It seems not really available... I cant buy it up to now. It must be only some marketing flick.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice find Psychobunny. This is exciting news. 3x3mm die with no gaps shouldn't be too hard to collimate in something the size of a m@glite head. The footprint is relatively small too at 10x11mm. The only problem I can foresee is finding a 9A driver as is mentioned above. I guess it may be possible to parallel a few constant current driver boards or even use a constant voltage driver and fine tune the voltage to each individual LED.

I really hope that this is not an April fool. It's coming up to that time of the year...

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
heat management and power source are the limiting factors, from what I understand. Heat management? just put a fan in it and double the torch as a hand/face warmer, have a vent on the side where the warm air comes out. And I'm sure somebody will find a good way to supply it enough power.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been checking out the website and there's another product, the CST-90 which appears to be the the same die, only it comes built in to a board with a integrated thermistor and they rate it up to 13.5A.

Last edited:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, I've just been flipping through the datasheet, one of the notes says:

Special design considerations must be observed for operation under 1 A. Please contact Luminus for further information.

Wonder what happens below that.

Edit: Sent them an email asking what happens, and about availability in the future.

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, I've just been flipping through the datasheet, one of the notes says:

Edit: Sent them an email asking what happens, and about availability in the future.

Probably the same thing that happens to any large area LED. If you take a 1 x 1 mm die based package (most any supplier) and run just a few ma through it, the color is off, only part of the die lights up, etc.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

What HarryN said. It would require PWM to get lower current out of that LED and still have it light up and have acceptable color.

zcaiyb

Newly Enlightened
I think it must be very hot under the maximum rated drive current, which may be 10A I guess.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure nobody is going to put 3 of these in a Maglite and drive em at 9 amps each :crackup:

Right guys? :naughty:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
with 8 gauge wires going out back to your 40 lb battery backpack along with a pair of welding gloves....

I think I know how to do it!

Get three of those LEDs and the drive level would be about 10V at 9 amps in series. Throw a buck regulator on there to drop the voltage from a Dewalt 36V (actually 32 volt) LiFePO4 2.4 pound battery pack. Calculate 90% for the drive so the pack will see 3.25 amp draw. The battery is rated 2.3Ah so you get over 40 minutes of runtime.

Maybe one of those giant copper heat sinks for quad core processors and stuff it in the Dewalt flashlight head.

I think it would be easier to run 11 of the LEDs straight from the battery. It is stable under load at 33 volts so that should give you about 2-3 amps to each LED. That CPU copper cooler better run a fan!

Will you carry a 5 pound flashlight that pushes out well over 10,000 lumens of flood beam?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
given the nature of LED lights and all the additional heatsinking...I think you might be better off using 175-400W HID lamp assemblies...

I'll wait for the quad SST LED, hook two of them up in series and 3 XP-G LEDs with spot optics on them. It can all run without regulators as the A123 Lithium Iron Nanophosphate pack generally is almost dead at 30V. The 2V variance will make it work. Wonder how much all that stuff will cost?