Pila charger & 17670 cells

Geheim

Newly Enlightened
Will a Pila charger correctly charge a non Pila 168S (600S) 17670 (protected) cell?

Thanks,
Chad

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geheim said:
Will a Pila charger correctly charge a non Pila 168S (600S) 17670 (protected) cell?

I didn't try my old pila charger on any li-ion other than Pila. However, the new version of Pila charger seems fine. I use it to charge AW's 18650 and RC123 (all protected) without any problem so far.

Alan

Geheim

Newly Enlightened
I figured it should work. Whats the difference between the old Pila charger and the new version?

Chad

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Chad,

The old Pila charger terminates the charge when the high voltage protection in the battery kicks in. If you put an unprotected battery in an old Pila charger, it will overcharge. When you overcharge Li-Ion chemistry you run the risk of an explosive fireball that is refereed to as rapidly venting accompanied by flame.

The new Pila IBC charger uses a normal Li-Ion charging algorithm and ends the charge at 4.2 volts. Pila "officially" does not recommend charging anything but Pila cells in their charger, but I have not been able to find any problems using it with other cells both protected and unprotected.

Tom

Geheim

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I was planning on using the Pila charger to charge only protected cells. I have had my Pila charger for awhile now. Is their a way to tell if it uses the old style or the new style of charging?

Chad

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Chad,

Look on the back. If it says IBC, it is the new charger.

Also, the new charger has a reset button for each charging slot. It is located under the flip up cover next to the status LED's.

Tom

Geheim

Newly Enlightened
I have the old model. No flip up covers. Nothing that says IBC on the bottom.

Thanks for the info.

Chad