Pila IBC Charger Compendium

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming that HKJ's assumption is correct, 4.16-4.18 Volts is a typical end OC voltage for LiCo cells charged with a charger utilizing a proper charging algorithm, such as the Pila or a hobby charger. If you have a charger that consistently charges cells to ~4.20 Volts OC regardless of the cells age, or condition, there's something wrong with it.

Dave

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Hey,
Any help with my question:

I have a Pila IBC that works fine with AW 16340s. I just got 8 Trustfire BlackFire 16340s. They measured 3.8v, all of them. I put one in the charger and nothing happens. The lights on the Pila act like I did not put a battery in. I put in a 18650 or one of my AW 16340s and ir works fine. I discharfed one of the cells in a light down to 2.7v. No change. The Pila does not see the Trustfires at all.

Anybody seen this?

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey,
Any help with my question:

Hi les. The only thing I can think of is make sure both ends of each cell are making proper contact with the contacts/adapter in the charger. It sounds like a contact problem, to me. I don't own and never have owned a Pila charger, but if it works for other cells, that's the only thing I can think of. Are the positive nipples more recessed than on the cells that do charge for example? You might also try inserting the cell and rolling it back and forth a bit to see if that helps.

Dave

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
Hi les. The only thing I can think of is make sure both ends of each cell are making proper contact with the contacts/adapter in the charger. It sounds like a contact problem, to me. I don't own and never have owned a Pila charger, but if it works for other cells, that's the only thing I can think of. Are the positive nipples more recessed than on the cells that do charge for example? You might also try inserting the cell and rolling it back and forth a bit to see if that helps.

Dave

Yeah it's strange, doesn't make any sense to me.

I was wondering if anyone else had seen this woth the Trustfire's and the Pila?

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
OK, figured out what the problem is. The Trustfires are longer than the spec for 16340s. You have a hard time getting them in there with the dummy cells. Somewhere, It looks like at the Neg terminal that the contact is forced away from contact. I used a jumper insteadof the dummy cell and it worked fine!

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, figured out what the problem is.

Glad you found out what the problem is. Could you just stick a small magnet on the bottom of the cell instead of using a jumper? Sounds like there isn't enough room though.

Dave

les_garten

Newly Enlightened
You have to use a dummy cell or something similiar. I found some Bolts that were a little shorter than the dummy cells. That gave methe room I need and it's all good now!

tobarger

Newly Enlightened
Had my Pila for a few months now and am very pleased
Bought the magnet 18650 adapter for 3.7v batteries that don't fit the cradle
Very nice Martin
Thanks EG for clearing up the trickle charge misinformation

rebar

Newly Enlightened
Iv got the Pila IBC with the European and American plug. Im planning a trip to the Netherlands soon. Does the power supply automatically adjust to 220 input when using the European plug?

Thanks

Norm

Retired Administrator
The original Pila chargers charged at 1.5 amps and this current allowed the protection circuit to easily reset and then the cell could be charged.

Tom

Tom is this the same or similar to the charger that was supplied with Wolf Eyes flashlights 3 or 4 years ago?

I still have a couple of these chargers in the junk drawer, I stopped using them some years ago when I became aware of the termination method.

Thanks Norm

DM51

Flashaholic
IRIC the Wolf Eyes chargers did not terminate properly at all, but instead relied on the cell's protection circuit to cut off the charge. That's why WE chargers were considered unsafe, as people who didn't know any better might use them with unprotected cells.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Thanks both for the confirmation, I've been thinking of using them just as charging cradles and am happy now that I won't be destroying anything of value.
Although saying that I managed to find an Aussie dealer with the Pila IBC for about the same price as in the US with the correct mains plug adaptor and free post so it is a project I really need to worry about at the moment. I'm sure I'll find a use for them at some point.

Norm

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
this may be a dumb question, but are the XTAR WP6 II 6 bay charger and Pila charger very different? I currently use the aforementioned XTAR for my needs, but I'm wondering out of curiosity if it's very different from the Pila other than by the bay numbers?