Pocket 1x18650 thrower for walking country roads at night

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Javelot is a monster. The size of the light from what I can tell makes it borderline on requiring sheath carry though. Still the Javelot seems just a touch larger than my TK32 yet throws like a TK61 which is INSANE. Since I already have the excellent TK32 and have no issues with carrying around a light with an extension tube screwed on I will be placing my Javelot order by the weekend once my flashaholic funds replenish.

Oh...and as for the SRT6 and 7 all the other lights recommended so far besides those two lights are better than the SRT6 and 7. Buying a SRT7 over a Javelot or TK32 for a thrower would be a huge mistake

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the Olight may be an awesome thrower, it's hardly similar in size to an SC600.

Per this sentence "Is there a light that is similar in output and size to the SC600, but is a thrower? I realize the head would be bigger, but I don't want to carry something big like my TK75." in the OP's posting, it appears that he does not have an issue with a larger head on the light.

He did state he wanted a thrower, something more than the SC600, but a single 18650.

Charles L.

Enlightened
Look for the vinhnguyen54 sub-forum on this website, then go to the thread for the Eagletac TX25C2 pocket throw king. Sounds like what you're looking for.

Slightly off topic, but the step-down from High 2 to Medium 1 on the ZL SC600 can be as little as from 162 to 70 lumens… all depends on how you set it up. But it is never from 1000 to 70.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess we need to find out what is acceptably "bigger", and in what "pocket" the light should fit.

It would also be helpful to know how far "WAAAY down the road" really is. Once this is known, the necessary candela can be calculated to illuminate something at the given distance.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooohh so SC600 MkII size class of pocket size! Okay sure! As has already been suggested the Eagletac TX25C2 fits the bill perfectly. Bone stock mine is incredible for the size it is Vinh's version is nuts!

beastman

Newly Enlightened
First, let me clarify "Waay down the road". Maybe that was exaggerated because my context is the SC600, which is a great floodlight, but no throw. So for this thread "waay" means 150 to 250 yards (or so). I have a TK75 for "crazy throw", but I don't want to carry the beast for a long walk.

On the size question: I LOVE the Zebralight SC600 MKII size, but I realize you cannot throw with something that small. I have a 4Sevens G5, which is much bigger, but still jacket pocketable, so my ideal is somewhere between the two lights.

I went walking tonight. I took both lights. The Zebralight SC600 requires massive lumens to get any distance, and then you are blinded by the close up stuff. The G5 throws great, but I would like brighter for really checking out a field, and I also want a setting between high and medium.

I have looked at the lights mentioned here (googling, this forum). The Javelot looks awesome, but I think the head is too large for the jacket pocket carry I am looking for. However, the Eagletac TX25C2 looks very tempting

Also, I have never had any contact with Vinh, but everyone seems to rave about him. His stuff looks pretty cool. Is getting one of his mods really worth the extra cost? He seems to know his stuff! I would consider it, but I already have to excuse my (relatively) few lights to the wife, who is pretty tolerant of my hobby. However, she does wonder, "how many flashlights do you need?" :)

Last edited:

beastman

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience with the SRT-6 as an "in the middle" (between flood and throw) light? I really like the idea of an "infinite" adjustable output (yes, I know infinite is a misnomer).

I may have to get more than one light :grin2:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've provided some very helpful info.

To illuminate something to the level of ~2 lux (should be visible if there is some contrast between target and background) at 250 yards requires a light that delivers ~100,000 candela. Getting this much performance out of a stock light with a reflector smaller than a G5's is exceedingly difficult. If the target object is high in contrast vs the background, then 1 lux may be adequate, which requires ~50,000 candela.

I don't have one of Vihn's modded lights yet, but his modding practices seem to be sound, and he definitely has a lot of happy customers.

One option may be to choose a high performance stock light, like a Eagletac TX25C2 or S200C2, that Vihn mods, and see how well it works in stock form. If it doesn't perform well enough, send it in for an upgrade.

Charles L.

Enlightened
+1 to Grizzman's suggestion. Get a stock TX25C2 or S200C2 and, if it doesn't meet your needs, send it to Vinhn. He is really easy to work with and his mods are truly impressive.

Re: the SC600 "blinding" you at close-up stuff, you know a double-click from Hi 1 gets you to a Hi 2 level of 670, 356 or 162 lumens (your choice), right? ;)

Don't have an SRT-6. I do have an SRT-3 which is a fine light, but its variable ring makes the light somewhat big for its battery capacity.

Yes, best get them all -- at least until you have as many lights as your wife has shoes. For me, that allows for a lot of lights!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
unless you must have the smart ring I would get the ET T25C2 in XP-L instead. Like sized lights and the ET puts close to 1000 for real lumens out the front with well spaced modes as opposed to the SRT6 700 ish OTF lumens. Both cost about the same and you can also get the kit version of the ET with the extension tube for a long running 2x set up. I have both lights and greatly prefer the ET

G. Scott H.

Enlightened
My L2P with M3 head is a great thrower. I carry it in my coat pocket on night walks (or jeans pocket in warmer weather). Mine is a single mode. I now have a 3 mode M3 head, but I haven't tried it out yet, so I don't know how well it throws on lower modes. When I've checked it out, I'll let you know how it goes (no problem reaching out to 250m + with the single mode, but it's very bright, too). Here it is next to an L2T for size comparison:

0304151803_zpsrygjkojp.jpg

In hand pic, too:

0304151804_zpsqerxlpc5.jpg

Sorry for the fuzztacular pics. My old school cell phone is my only current camera.

edit: You could also slim the light down at the tail a bit by using a standard tail cap. The one on there is made for an M8 or M9, something like that.

Last edited:

Latest posts