Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots AEHaas. Good for only 25 yards? got to be better than that?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great pictures! It really illustrates just how diffuse the "D" model is. What a great color and flood that light makes. As soon as the moon isn't so bright, I'll get some shots of my "S" model. The "S" has much more in common with the spot of the PH series although smoothed over a bit.

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
I took some exact measurements. The tall palms on the right are 20 and 23 yards away at mid trunk level. The PH40 lit up the top of a tree 40 yards away.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Wondering if the smooth PH-40 reflector would fit in that baby...

Ken J. Good
Smooth Reflector will fit.
Excellent to know that! If I ever feel that I'd rather gain the extra bit of throw out of the Abyss, sound's like I've got an option.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Aaaaargh! - just seen this - been away for 2 weeks and still catching up - my poor $$$ are going to take a hit...

Seriously, this looks like a very nice light - and an excellent review.

I would love to see comparison beamshots of the "S" vs. "D" versions.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Aaaaargh! - just seen this - been away for 2 weeks and still catching up - my poor $$$ are going to take a hit...

Seriously, this looks like a very nice light - and an excellent review.

I would love to see comparison beamshots of the "S" vs. "D" versions.

Thanks DM, I kinda forgot about getting some beam shots posted but I'm going to shoot for tomorrow evening. The pictures that AE has posted will probably provide the best comparison between the S and the D version even though it's a PH40. Additionally, Vee73 has posted pictures on his flashlight review page of the two versions. I'd say the the S version has 85-90% of the throw of the PH40.

armysoldier

Newly Enlightened
I know I am new here but I was unable to find any posts by Vee73 regarding his review of this light vs the PH40. I would sure like to see some pics of the difference in beam shots. I actually just pulled the trigger on this bad boy. I have been searching these forums for the last 8 months or so. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the Olight SR90 but I forced myself to come up with the cash to buy one of these. I hope I don't regret buying this over the PH40 but this one just seemed like it had soo much more to offer including the extra brightness. It seems like it is falling right in between the PH40 and PH50 as far as power.

How are you liking yours so far Patriot? Can you see a big difference in this light over the PH40? How about against the PH50? I am so exited for mine to come. I was in the military for 4 years including one year in Iraq. The brighest light I have had so far is the Streamlight DS C4 LED and the Pelican 7060. I am real curious how this will compare as I have never seen any of the HID flashlights in person.

Patriot

Flashaholic
How are you liking yours so far Patriot? Can you see a big difference in this light over the PH40? How about against the PH50? I am so exited for mine to come. I was in the military for 4 years including one year in Iraq. The brighest light I have had so far is the Streamlight DS C4 LED and the Pelican 7060. I am real curious how this will compare as I have never seen any of the HID flashlights in person.

The light output from the Abyss Dual makes the venerable SR90 look quite docile. Compared to your DS and 7060, well, there really aren't any words to describe the difference in performance there. The only way to see a difference between a 40W Polarion and a 45W Polarion is if they're side by side. I think you made a good call going with the Abyss. I honestly feel that it's they're premium model right now and offers some nice advantages over the P series. I'll have a desktop review video posted on youtube of this light in a couple of days. Video is already done, just have to edit and upload. Hopefully you'll have your light by then!

I can't remember what's Vee73's website is. You'll have to visit the original Abyss thread or the PH50 thread since he links pictures to his site. The shots that I saw were indoor shots where he was measuring lux down an industrial sized hallway. I'm jumping off-line now but with look for them tomorrow for you if you can't find them.

armysoldier

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link Coolmester...I don't think this model is actually in those photos though. It shows the old Abyss at 34000 lux. This new one has a 45w blub so should be much brighter. I got the "s" version so it should have pretty good throw too. I can always upgrade the reflector to the smooth PH40 reflector later on but I like have the option available.

I really like the way the night reaper looks. I am wondering if maybe I should have got that. Does anyone know the price of it? It does not say on the website so I am sure it is quite a bit more expensive...lol

Patriot

Flashaholic
The NR retails for around $3700 bare. No accessories.

The 45W Abyss will be a little brighter than the old U2 in that particular test but not a lot. It's Vee's own throw measurement and the extra 5watts doesn't make that much of a difference. It's slightly "handicapped" by the reflector which is why it's down 8000 lux to the smooth 40W P series.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'll contact Ken about the possibility of a GB but I don't want to push the boundaries of CPF rules here in this thread. If he's able to discount them at all, I'll ask GreenLED to post the information in the "Good Deals" section of the Marketplace and then post a link here for you guys.

Curtis, Karl, you're on the list. Any other inquiries, please PM me. :)