Post your flashlight glow-mod pics:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome work there. I can see how you made the "emitter GITD ring", but how did you make the one on the bezel? It looks like a ring between the lens and the bezel. Is it removable? Or is the lens and ring permanently attached now?

I've never worked with epoxy and am really curious how it works.

Follow the link that I posted and it explains how I did it. I get a DB error when I follow it though. :( Lens and bezel are removable, and you can sit it face down without the epoxy touching or getting scratched. It took time and patience. This was my first attempt too.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Cryhavok, how did you get those slots to glow in that Mag modification?

Id like to make a ring on my mag85 or most of my flashlights so it would glow like that. The paint alone doesnt work well. I dont know how you got such a perfect ring with epoxy though. Epoxy starts as a liquid...
What kind of epoxy can you work like that?

chanamasala

Enlightened
Did my Ultrafire 502B:

This Ultra Glow powder is nice. It stays bright for a long time especially if your eyes have adjusted for the dark. This is a nice mod in case you drop your torch in the dark.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My recommendation is to take the pic with the light on a table so it doesn't move. Use a tripod for your camera or set it on the table. Then you can experiment with longer shutter speeds, and highlighting other parts of your light with a little tiny light source.

chanamasala

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice, but now the lack of precision is quite evident in my engineering "artistry". Furthermore I need to scrap away some glow epoxy that overflowed. Anyhow, here it is:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a youTube link in post 22.

Guys, there are threads about using epoxy with glow powder. This thread is for posting your glow mod pics and discussing techniques for taking the pics.

Last edited:

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glow Powder around the reflectors in my Tri-X.
tlv4.jpg
s

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice glowing eyes there, I'm sure that's fun to show around.

Some advice:
The glow pics are coming along well, and the user contributions are appreciated. However, it isn't easy to see the lights in some of these pics and just the glowing optic or lens is visible.

When I take my glow pics, I set my camera for about 2 or 3 seconds exposure time (must use tripod) and take several pics in a row automatically. This gives me a few seconds to wave a 'very dim' light over the flashlight during shooting, thereby highlighting the parts of the light that don't glow. Being able to see the rest of the light AND the glow is nice, in that the viewer isn't left to wonder about the rest of the light.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is kind of subtle compared to the GITD mods that I have seen, but is pretty cool. It is a Pierce M10 that just got a Seoul upgrade, and I wanted to add some glow paint behind behind the optic to see what it looked like. The owner was receptive to the GITD idea, and opted for blue instead of the more common V10 green. I like it!

PierceM10003.jpg

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Hey Green LED
What is that white medium you use to mix with the glow paint and fill in the spaces and how do you keep it from running out?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I'd like to know too, the pre mix v10 paint sucks. Really rough texture!

The grit is kind of getting to me to. It really isnt much of a powder, more of a small grain sand... Makes me think it would work better to paint a glue on and sprinkle the powder over it so that it gets an even and complete covering. The paint doesnt do that well. You end up with speckles. I wonder if it would be possible to grind the powder into a finer powder...
I dont see the speckles in the ones done by greenLED though.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I hear the grit size wasn't as big untill they went into V10 stage. Greenled is using an epoxy with powder and doing a smoothing out after the surface dries but before it dries through and through. Just my theory though I've yet to try it!