Post your flashlight glow-mod pics:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Greenled is using an epoxy with powder and doing a smoothing out after the surface dries but before it dries through and through.

Not quite. The epoxy must cure on its own, and no smoothing is necessary. If you try to smooth the surface of the epoxy before it cures, you'll actually mess up the smooth finish. If you try to sand the surface after the epoxy cures, the surface loses its shine and it glows a bit less (you're destroying the GID particles by sanding them).

If you're subscribed to glowinc.com's newsletter, you'll see a tutorial coming out in the next month or so.

Skylighter

Enlightened
At Glow Inc., we work very, very hard to design literally the best glow paint available. As with any paint, the "best" depends on the needs of the end user. That is why we offer 4 different greens.

Ultra Green V10 Pigment
Grade 0, Large Particle, 33,000 mcd/m2
Brightest pigment available, but makes rough surface

Ultra Green (aka V9) Pigment
Grade 0, Small Particle, 26,000 mcd/m2
Second brightest pigment, makes a very smooth paint

Ultra Green Fine Pigment
Grade 0, Very Small Particles, 10,000 mcd/m2
Extremely fine particles, used only where glossy or extremely smooth paint are critical

Econony Green
Grade 3, Medium Particle, 9,000 mcd/m2
Cheap, but outperforms almost all discount glow powders.

98% of glow pigment manufactured in the world is Grade 3 or lower. Glow Inc. buys over 92% of the Grade 0 and Grade 1(for non-green colors) that is manufactured.

Last edited:

houtex

Enlightened
If I were to purchase more V10 powder could I grind it even finer or would a fine grind greatly reduce its effectiveness?

Skylighter

Enlightened
If I were to purchase more V10 powder could I grind it even finer or would a fine grind greatly reduce its effectiveness?

Grinding glow powder will kill its glow properties. Sanding will hurt it as well. You can't even stir it with an electric paint mixer. We even suggest that you only use plastic or wood to stir glow paint and not "break" the particles.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I dont know if I follow your question. What do you mean by Ultra Bright.
Also note that I edited the post above to include "Ultra Green Fine"

sorry i meant the ultra green, the v10 vs the v9. Since the v9 makes a smoother surface with paint does that mean the powder is more fine too?

Also i know this isnt a flashlight but it is light and glow related.
eyeeatingfish said:
eyeeatingfish said:
Dont have ay pictures yet, but ill see what i can do soon.
I used glow in the dark paint to paint the inside of the dome lights. So when you shut the door and the dome light goes off you have a green glow comming from the dome lights. I ahvent had time to appreciate it yet though. I was going to add the paint to the head lights and tail lights but cant figured out where i could paint it so that it gets exposed but wouldnt hurt the performance. Im probably going to paint part of the license plate though so it will glow from the license plate lights.
Im thinking of replacing the interior lights with LEDs so i can save battery power and make it brighter. Sinde they are directional, they would negate the glow in the dark paint.

Ok i took some pictures of the glow paint. It seems a little brighter in person and cooler, has a kind of calming effect. This first picture is the dome light, the second is the cargo light. I aslo posted a picture of my organized loaded with cool stuff. Kind of survival oriented.
IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

houtex

Enlightened
I though I would add,I used a kitchen type food injector or syringe to apply the glow paint to some areas.It works fairly well.Kind slow getting in but works well in placing the glow right where you want it to go.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, I need to paint my dome light, too. I don't use it much, but if it glows, I'll probably use it more.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Nice, I need to paint my dome light, too. I don't use it much, but if it glows, I'll probably use it more.

I actually put jsut a smal bit on my ignition and got it to stay in the letters. So the words on, start acc and off glow, though they dont really get exposed to much light from the dome light....
Waiting for my new license plates to come in before i play around with that.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my latest GITD mod. This is an Electro Lumens Blaster 1R that I got new in a trade. I replaced the 1W Luxeon LED with a USVOH Seoul, and I figured that I should have a little more fun while I was at it. This is three coats of green V-10 powder in fingernail polish. I painted it over aluminum tape adhered to the anodized cover above the star.

blastr006.jpg

blastr001.jpg

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened
Just got a new 35W HID spotlight, and decided I had to do some glow to it.

Added glow cord to the handle, several strips of glow tape to the top, and sides, and good old glow paint to the inside of the bezel

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the bad pictures. The first one if an LED tailcap switch on my Wolfeyes M90, the second one is of a pewter skull bead and my old Surefire A2. All the powder is mixed with 5 minute Devcon epoxy which was thinned with acetone during mixing.

picture003zr3.jpg

a2l2pglowgp0.jpg

houtex

Enlightened
I added a glow cap to my Novatac 120T and some of Glowinc's paint to the back of the optic in my KX1 that now lives on a Vital Gear FB1.
allmydogs054.jpg