Post your photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to a local suburbia fireworks show last night. This is one where you can get really, really close to launch site, and even closer if you chit-chat with the cops at the barricade. Couldn't have been more than 200yards from the tubes, and likely +100,000 people behind me. I was so close I was shooting vertical and wiping flaming embers off my camera, but it's cool shooting this way because you can't miss. My ancient 10D still works though. I was going to post this in the 35mm film thread, but I forgot it's not about actual photography :D

4768845883_41f96e4fbf_b.jpg

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to a local suburbia fireworks show last night. This is one where you can get really, really close to launch site, and even closer if you chit-chat with the cops at the barricade. Couldn't have been more than 200yards from the tubes, and likely +100,000 people behind me. I was so close I was shooting vertical and wiping flaming embers off my camera, but it's cool shooting this way because you can't miss. My ancient 10D still works though. I was going to post this in the 35mm film thread, but I forgot it's not about actual photography :D

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! :thumbsup:

Went to a local display intent on doing the same thing - unfortunately they had moved the launch site to a different area than it had been for years!! Wanted to test out my recently acquired 40D...oh, well. Popped on a 28-135 and did the best I could. At least I can enjoy yours! Great job!

IMG_0961.JPG

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yo Gazerbeam, nice macros!

Were you using IS turned on? I have the 100mm Canon Macro, but you've got much better working distance with your 55-250.

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Wow guys, thanks for the kind words and positive replies.

Blasterman, yes these pictures were taken at 250mm with the IS & AF on.
You can get as close as 4 feet and the AF still works well, makes for a decent pseudo macro lens.
The camera is set at its highest sharpness 7.

Easilyled, thanks for the compliment most of the credit goes to the T2I & the great economy lens.
I hope my pictures get better instead of worse.

Beamhead, you're my idol the amazing pictures you've posted on this forum have been the driving
force of improvement to my photography. Thanks for the guidance.

A very friendly domesticated Mocking bird. I think he actually posed for me. No pp cropped about 10' away focal length 250mm.

IMG_3599.jpg

Processed picture
IMG_3599-1.jpg

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The camera is set at its highest sharpness 7.

One STRONG suggestion. I know that some people are getting tired of hearing this, but you owe it to yourself so try shooting RAW and taking more control. If you don't have the latest version of Photoshop or Elements, Canon's DPP software is free, and it's stunning when shooting RAW.

The JPEG engine in most of the latest dSLRs is pretty good, but shooting RAW and sharpening to taste is even better.

X Racer

Enlightened
That is gorgeous - you probably posted elsewhere, but where is this beautiful scene located?

Thanks guys, this shot was taken along the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. I earn a living shooting landscapes in this area, and there is no shortage of great scenery around here to enjoy ;-)

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
One STRONG suggestion. I know that some people are getting tired of hearing this, but you owe it to yourself so try shooting RAW and taking more control. If you don't have the latest version of Photoshop or Elements, Canon's DPP software is free, and it's stunning when shooting RAW.

The JPEG engine in most of the latest dSLRs is pretty good, but shooting RAW and sharpening to taste is even better.

Thanks Blasterman, you are exactly right all of my future pictures will be RAW & JPEG and I will learn how to process them, should have already been doing it.

How do you like your 100mm Canon Macro is it good for handheld macro 1/1 work. I recently tried the IS version, can't imagine using at 1/1 with out a tripod.

This is the best handheld I could get AF & IS on.
IMG_0590-1.jpg

Last edited:

unnerv

Enlightened
How do you like your 100mm Canon Macro is it good for handheld macro 1/1 work. I recently tried the IS version, can't imagine using at 1/1 with out a tripod.

I can't speak for blasterman, but I have had the canon 100mm macro and now have the 100mm IS macro. There is only a little bit a difference between the two in image quality (read paper difference not so much on the actual print,) and the IS at 1:1 doesn't make a huge difference.

I have actually found if you want to get good at 1:1, turn off the AF set the focus so you can fill the frame with the object you are shooting and then move your body back and forth to get the object in focus.

It takes a little bit of practice, but is far easier than using AF. I usually find the action of breathing will move the object in and out of focus because the Depth of Field is so small, so I just brace, breath slow and sqeeze off the shot as the part of the object that I want in focus comes into focus. It is even easier if you can use a diffused flash so you can keep the shutter speed up a little higher and aperature around f11 to get more DOF.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great lens - I wouldn't part with mine. Among the few primes Canon makes that aren't trash.

If money in tight look at the Tamron 90mm Macro.

Lawliet

Newly Enlightened

Handheld macro works fine if you use a ring flash or something alike.
Perhaps combined with manual focus and focus priority/focus trap, if your camera supports this. You adjust the lens and move around until the AF detects the subject is in in focus.

IS otoh can't compensate for most of the movements that ruin a picture at close distances. :broke:

fishhead

Newly Enlightened
A couple of birds:

large.jpg

large.jpg

A couple of bigger birds:

large.jpg

large.jpg

(Note: No animals were harmed in the making of these images. The bird that looks like it has just been hit with a shotgun blast is actually just shaking water off itself after a dive for fish.)

Status
Not open for further replies.