"Potted Meat Food Product"

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "'Potted Meat Food Product"

Not much of a spam fan, but it's OK once in a while, particularly turkey spam. I like canned corn beef and those small DAK canned hams better.

scout24

Flashaholic

xxo- Good call on the DAK hams! They have the longest shelf life of all my canned goods, this batch is good thru Sept. 2024. 👍

20200515_090933.jpg

RBR

Enlightened

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

That recipe actually looks pretty tastey RBR. Hash n eggs with a twist.

During this period it is nice to see old world recipes being discussed. Yet it also sheds light on why the average lifespan was in the 40's during that period. If the black plague didn't get ya, the 16 days worth of salt in each meal would.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast

Love the little vienna sausages, SPAM is alright if it is in something, macaroni is a favorite to spread out the salt. Canned hash with over easy eggs is a delight

RBR

Enlightened

Last edited:

RBR

Enlightened

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some ramen or Thai noodles and king Oscar sardines makes a quick and easy meal – great for camping. Mix in your choice of vegetables.....green beans, sliced bell peppers, corn, peas, onions, mushrooms. Works with Libby's corn beef too.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trader Joe's in USA has herring in cans; tasty. Also tasty trout and sardines (one option is in water and unsalted last time I checked; can share with pets). One might consider using with Nutritional Yeast; also available at our TJ's in New Mexico. Mustard can go well with a sardine sandwich or crackers.

Tuna is a potted meat, right? Son and I (wife is not into it) go to Arby's every few weeks when in town; the boy is a carnivore. Along with purchasing three or more brisket sandwiches I always ask for 'lots' of Horsey Sauce they only give in packets now that the Corona Overlord has awakened. It is mayonnaise with a little horseradish taste in it. Might be handy to add with tuna when on-adventure or even at home.

It's been over 50 years, have fond memories of thinly sliced Spam dipped and flipped in a beaten egg, placed in abundant wheat flour both sides and briefly pan fried to a golden crisp.... Fond not necessarily for the taste but for remembering our grandparents, where they served this once in a while. Thanks for starting this thread.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can see on Amazon that there is both Armour and Hormel dried beef in the jar now. As a kid, I used to like the fact that you had to open the thing with a bottle opener.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Just another classic

full43.jpg

I cooked something similar to those called Kipper Snacks when I was married to my first wife.
Come to think of it that might have played a role in her becoming my ex-wife.
Those things had every cat in the region at my apartment door. Shew-ee they had an aroma but served with scrambled eggs…… mighty tastey.

Poppy

Flashaholic

When I was a kid, my dad made a deal with the railroad, that if they would lease him some river-front property for a $1 a year, he would work to improve it. He built a club- boat house, with docks, and a boat ramp. We were there pretty much every weekend, fixing, building stuff, and having some fun in boats. :thumbsup:

After about five years, they gave him a different piece of land, and leased out the one he improved for a decent profit. IIRC, this place didn't have any electricity, or running water. The other one had a washed ashore, covered, and sunken barge. At that one we had a BIG a$$ generator.

At this one there were no amenities, but we did have a small bulldozer. I learned to drive a bulldozer before I could drive a car. At any rate, I think at one time a case of shredded corned beef fell off of the truck. There were times that at lunch time we took a drive to get some burgers at "White Manna" and some times we would heat up a can of shredded corned beef on the block of the engine, with a can of beans and franks, and eat them with little dinner rolls.

It was like camping out with out a tent, and sleeping in my bed at home at night.

Poppy

Flashaholic

I am honestly surprised at how many of you have fond memories of Spam, and still like it to this day!

Maybe about 7 years ago I was doing my prepping thing and was putting together a menu for a month with balanced proteins, and carbs for 2000 calories a day for each member of the household.

I tried a can of Spam... nope, THAT will NOT be in my supply stores.

About 5 years ago, I read a book by a gent who wrote of his trip along the Appalachian Trail. Doing one of those treks, carrying weight is a big no no. At one point he hooked up with another thru-hiker, and they were going through their packs. He had a can of Spam, and said to the other... "I'm gonna toss this, you want it?"
"Are you kidding me? Yeah I want it!"

At the end of the day, those 12 ounces are pretty darn heavy. So the traveler cooked it up. He couldn't eat it all, and offered the second half to the gent who gave it to him earlier in the day.

In his book, the gent commented, that he was sure that no one would eat a whole can of Spam at one sitting, and by offering it up, he wouldn't have to carry it all say long.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Last time I had spam was in about 1980. I had severe stomach cramps shortly after. The kind you wouldn't wish on an enemy.
It was the first time I had ever eaten it and the last time.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just glancing at the title of this topic thread when I click on The Cafe serves as an instant, powerful and moderately long acting appetite suppressant.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

xxo- Good call on the DAK hams! They have the longest shelf life of all my canned goods, this batch is good thru Sept. 2024. 👍

Those are the way to go. I still have one left in the back of the pantry.

But I still buy Vienna Sausages as well and no one can tell me otherwise!!! :cool:

Herring fillets are good too. I really like the smoked Appel herring fillets, but they're kind of pricey.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic

Hey, now we're talking.

Grew up on vienna sausages and potted meat.

I still feed the kids (and myself) spam to this very day.

nbp

Flashaholic

Smoked oysters, sardines and tuna regularly are found In my cabinet. I don't buy SPAM but went to the SPAM museum a couple years ago in Austin, MN with dad on a road trip out to South Dakota and it was an excellent museum! Worth the stop if you're near, and they come around with samples. It's really not that bad. They sent a colossal amount of SPAM overseas for wars in the past since it didn't need refrigeration and it was like normal meat (kinda) haha.