Power Outage, How many Lumens, How many batteries? (for lights and more)

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'd just have Nightsearcher Trio on each (three) floor that does come on in the event of a power outage. A small adjustment upon activation and they will stay on for 14 hours at half power. I agree that there is not much use in lighting rooms that people arn't in so I light up each hallway with said lights to walk around house ...<snip>....

I have been meaning to order a five pack of these USB lights ever since buds224 posted about them.

I actually bought that whole setup and it works great!
<big snip>
Max

I am such a proponent of "auto on" Emergency lighting, that I wanted to bring attention to buds224's solution/suggestion, for the late comers to the thread who may not have read the thread all the way through. If you don't have auto on emergency lights, when a power failure hits, you might be instantly, in cave like darkness. Just a few units giving off just five or ten lumens each strategically placed can make your home safe so that you can get to your lighting supplies without tripping, or the kids panicking.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am such a proponent of "auto on" Emergency lighting, that I wanted to bring attention to buds224's solution/suggestion, for the late comers to the thread who may not have read the thread all the way through. If you don't have auto on emergency lights, when a power failure hits, you might be instantly, in cave like darkness. Just a few units giving off just five or ten lumens each strategically placed can make your home safe so that you can get to your lighting supplies without tripping, or the kids panicking.

The EDC light that never leaves my pocket(even in the PJ's on the couch) should cover this nicely. Auto on emergency lights are overkill for me personally and I dont need the extra expense of the batteries in them myself(maybe if the power went out very frequently). Its just darkness guys, its not like you will shrivel up and die if you dont get a light on instantly. Your eyes will just adapt in a couple of minutes and you will be fine seeing your way to the desk drawer.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always have some candles. If the power goes under a blizzard, the house gets cold if you only use flashlights :)

Poppy

Flashaholic
The EDC light that never leaves my pocket(even in the PJ's on the couch) should cover this nicely. Auto on emergency lights are overkill for me personally and I dont need the extra expense of the batteries in them myself(maybe if the power went out very frequently). Its just darkness guys, its not like you will shrivel up and die if you dont get a light on instantly. Your eyes will just adapt in a couple of minutes and you will be fine seeing your way to the desk drawer.

Tachead, with all due respect, your response suggests that you are a young man in your prime, and that you are thinking of YOUR situation, not that of the original scenario presented in the original post. Suggestions for a "Family of FOUR, with TWO young children"

It also suggests that you have never experienced "cave like darkness". In a cave, when the lights are out, you can not see your hand in front of your face.

A couple of nights ago, I looked out into the back yard, and thought that I had left the rear porch light on. The moon was so bright, that it cast a shadow of my house onto the snow.

Often a power outage is caused by bad weather that blocks out the moon and stars. If the outage is wide spread, there is no light pollution adding ambient light. When even the little LED clocks go out, you might experience "cave like darkness".

When thrown into sudden "cave like darkness" children may become frightened.

Perhaps the greatest health hazard to seniors is having a fall.

Both situations can be avoided with a simple auto-on emergency light. They don't have to be fancy, I have a number of less than $10 plug in the outlet lights around the house.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It also suggests that you have never experienced "cave like darkness". In a cave, when the lights are out, you can not see your hand in front of your face.

Meh. I have certainly experienced "cave like darkness", and you can't see anything. But if you're inside your own house, you should be able to feel your way to a drawer where you keep a light. It's only a couple of minutes. You don't have to suddenly get up and run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Just keep a few lights in well-known places. Everyone will get through a couple of minutes of darkness without dying.

chazz

Enlightened
EDIT
Deleted: Was just joking, but thought better of it. Sorry... Carry on...

Last edited:

chazz

Enlightened
Perhaps the greatest health hazard to seniors is having a fall. Both situations can be avoided with a simple auto-on emergency light. They don't have to be fancy, I have a number of less than $10 plug in the outlet lights around the house.

Agreed, I got a couple of those for my 70+ yo mothers house, also got her a 47s Quark Pro 2xAA that she now keeps beside her bed. (she likes the moonlight mode for if she wakes up and needs to walk around at night) :)

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meh. I have certainly experienced "cave like darkness", and you can't see anything. But if you're inside your own house, you should be able to feel your way to a drawer where you keep a light. It's only a couple of minutes. You don't have to suddenly get up and run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Just keep a few lights in well-known places. Everyone will get through a couple of minutes of darkness without dying.

+1 and an EDC in your pocket can eliminate even having to find a light at all.

As for "cave like darkness" been there done that many times. Even been 1 hour deep into the worlds second biggest cave system in Mexico as well as a bunch of cenotes. Your right, its dark but, the chances of your house ever getting to that level in a split second are very slim.

You are right though in some circumstances, like with really young children or the elderly in the house, auto on lights could be beneficial. Our house is void of both of those though so I prefer the stashed lights around the house/EDC option myself.

bluemax_1

Enlightened

Yep, auto-on lights (just as they are in commercial buildings) are a safety measure.

I can't recall if it was in this thread, but I remember reading a post about someone learning to sleep with a tiny flashlight on a chain around their neck because they woke up in a blackout during an earthquake and the flashlight they kept on the bedside table was nowhere to be found.

A simple power outage with only one younger person who only has to care for themselves is a different scenario.

When there are younger children or the elderly involved, safety measures are a greater necessity.

I've also learned to keep a flashlight in my pocket at all times in the house (and of course, several when I leave the house LOL), after stubbing my toe in the dark on something on the floor I wasn't expecting to be there when the power was knocked out.

Even though I had flashlights stashed all over the house and knew exactly where the closest one was, I stubbed my toe in the 6 steps it took to reach it.

There could be many reasons for a power outage and you and your family may need to move quickly. Having auto-on emergency lighting can help ensure that they can do so safely, to get what they need to get and/or get where they need to go.

Max

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

You would be surprised how much pitch black changes as you get older. I am not "older" by most standards, but lets just say when I was younger I gave my cognitive health a beat down and then some, and am now paying the price. I feel about 60 and have stumbled down the stairs WITH a light more times than I can count. Add young kids in the mix and Im with Poppy on this one. The spirit of the thread is 4 people 2 kids.

So to answer the original question of 4 with 2 younger. I'd go with 1 headlamp each kid 3 Lithium AAA, and a stack of 21 Primaries. For the older folk 1 tailstanding CR123 - 1 cell - 300LM handheld each and also a stack of 24 primaries.

Depending on your light (HDS) and headlamps running 3 AAA @ 100+ Hrs I'd say that would cover everything short of a complete power grid collapse.

4 People - 4 Lights - 50 Lithium Primaries - for Forrest.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I've also learned to keep a flashlight in my pocket at all times in the house (and of course, several when I leave the house LOL), after stubbing my toe in the dark on something on the floor I wasn't expecting to be there when the power was knocked out.

Even though I had flashlights stashed all over the house and knew exactly where the closest one was, I stubbed my toe in the 6 steps it took to reach it.

There could be many reasons for a power outage and you and your family may need to move quickly. Having auto-on emergency lighting can help ensure that they can do so safely, to get what they need to get and/or get where they need to go.

Max
Ouch!!! :(

EscapeVelocity started a thread that compared some of the Plug into an Outlet Power Failure lights.
Some of the things to look for are:
If they can function as a night light (go off in the day light)
do they have replaceable batteries
some have two sets of emitters, that can be selected... to shine up or down, OR straight out the front.
Do they cover BOTH outlets of the receptacle?

I'd like to make one additional comment. I wanted one on top of the entertainment unit in the living room, so I used an extension cord. The point being... it doesn't have to be plugged directly into an outlet.

You would be surprised how much pitch black changes as you get older. <SNIP>

So to answer the original question of 4 with 2 younger. I'd go with 1 headlamp each kid 3 Lithium AAA, and a stack of 21 Primaries. For the older folk 1 tailstanding CR123 - 1 cell - 300LM handheld each and also a stack of 24 primaries.

Depending on your light (HDS) and headlamps running 3 AAA @ 100+ Hrs I'd say that would cover everything short of a complete power grid collapse.

4 People - 4 Lights - 50 Lithium Primaries - for Forrest.

I think that ForestChump makes a good point in recommending headlamps for the kids. I don't think that it has been mentioned in this thread that a headlamp CAN be used as a flashlight, or a lantern. It doesn't HAVE to be worn on the head.

Oh... and regarding getting older and night vision going South. :( I can vouch for that!

Last edited:

thinkFlashlights01

Enlightened
We are supposed to get 24-30 inches of snow, with wind gusts up to 60 mph in the next 24 hours. This got me doing a little preparation. :rolleyes:

Gas in all the cars, check
Extra gas for the generator, check
top off back up batteries, check
top off laptops, cell phones, tablets, and other toys, check
Food run... extra snacks... bottled water... etc
Pharmacy run needed? Are we good for a week?
Called my Dad, who is in the same storm path, to tell him, to charge his phone, and be sure that he knows where his charger is; that he can plug into his car.
Made sure that all the "auto ON" emergency lighting units are in place, check

I picked up some "fun things to do" with the grand-kids materials, like the ingredients for making a variety of cookies, and cheese cake. Maybe we will start on their Pine Wood Derby cars.

At any rate, I am sitting here looking at six power banks, and knowing that I have only one light/lantern that can plug into one. I modified the lantern, by adding a USB cord to it. I am thinking that it would be a good thing to have more USB powered lights. Maybe I could alter a USB cord, in such a manner, so that it could connect to the terminal positive and negative poles in a four pack AA, AAA, C, or D battery box.
That 60 mph wind sounds like a mini hurricane! :sick2:

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Thanks for the link to the power failure lights thread Poppy. Interesting read. One of the things I really like about the charger + USB light already linked to is that I can also use it to charge USB items in a pinch (eg. Cellphones) and it means I have spare 18650s around if I need them for the 18650 lights.

Max

P.S. and the setup will run longer than 60 minutes

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened
True, in your own home you should be able to put on a blind fold and find your way around well enough to reach a flashlight or cell phone light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Then there are these Universal chargers I purchased in the past. They are capable of AC charging to power the USB port and also charge various batteries. They can even use batteries to power the USB port, which is the key to making it work.
photo2-vi.jpg

Now when the lights go out, the USB LEDs take over, whether there is power to the AC or not since the 18650 will take over if there is a power outage. The light activates instantaneously without any lag/delay.
photo3-vi.jpg

This is my lighting solution during a power outage at 80lumens, warm, and floody enough to light the entire room.

Thanks for the link to the power failure lights thread Poppy. Interesting read. One of the things I really like about the charger + USB light already linked to is that I can also use it to charge USB items in a pinch (eg. Cellphones) and it means I have spare 18650s around if I need them for the 18650 lights.

Max

P.S. and the setup will run longer than 60 minutes

One thing that I find appealing to "universal" chargers, is they typically have moveable pins and some type of holder so that: phones, cameras, or other LiIon powered items with removable batteries can be charged. If they otherwise require a unique charger because of a non-standard charge port, and the battery is removable, a charger like this might work.

I like the fact that it adds flexibility.

It's a long story, but I actually used LEGO pieces, springs from pens, rivets, and jumper wires to my Xtar charger to charge some dumb phone batteries. The McGyver-ing actually worked pretty well, but LOL... this would be much easier.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also if you have low lighting, your eyesight will be better to adjust to the dark quicker than with full brightness.

dss_777

Enlightened
In the 1994 Northridge earthquake, the power was knocked out at 4:30 am in large areas of the city. Waking rather abruptly to a total blackout, we had to navigate through all the stuff thrown onto the floor. Everything that WAS in the cabinets, on the shelves, or attached to the walls (in some cases) is now on the floor.

There was a lot of broken glass in certain areas, bookcases knocked over, doors blocked or jammed shut... even if you knew where everything was BEFORE things started rocking and rolling, it was now new terrain.

Maybe it goes without saying, but not all blackout scenarios are going to be benign. In a situation like above, you really need a light immediately at hand if you want to be able to quickly assess the situation, get to the kids, move around safely, or get out ASAP (think gas leak, fire, or collapsing buildings).

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys have really opened my eyes to this type of thing. I am not in an earthquake-prone area, but I may begin to clip a small light to my shorts pocket while I sleep just to make sure I can always get to it even if a severe disaster occurs. Leaving things on my nightstand might not be good enough. I'm sure I wouldn't mind doing so, and it could be very useful one day. :)