Prepared for the Snowstorm?

Crusty

Newly Enlightened
I was born here, and have spent my entire life in this area. It's not as isolated as it was then. Population has nearly doubled. There's been a huge increase in the number of retail stores, and coresponding housing growth.

Crusty

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
whoa whoa! exciting update.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDURGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME
957 PM EST SAT DEC 6 2003

...PARALYZING WINTER STORM TO AFFECT ALL OF NORTHERN AND EASTERN
MAINE THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT...

.A MAJOR WINTER STORM TAKING SHAPE OFF CAPE COD WILL CONTINUE TO
SPREAD SNOW ACROSS DOWNEAST AND EVENTUALLY NORTHERN MAINE. SNOW
SHOULD ARRIVE AT FAR NORTHERN AREAS LATE TONIGHT. THIS LOW WILL
CONTINUE TO DEEPEN AS IT TRACKS SLOWLY NORTHEAST TO JUST SOUTH OF
NOVA SCOTIA LATER SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT.

STRONG NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS WILL ACCOMPANY THIS STORM PRODUCING
BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ACROSS CENTRAL AND DOWNEAST AREAS INTO SUNDAY
NIGHT AND ACROSS THE NORTH INTO MONDAY.

TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...BE SURE TO TAKE
ALONG A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT. INCLUDE EXTRA CLOTHES AND BOOTS...
FOOD...WATER...A FLASHLIGHT AND SNOW SHOVEL AS WELL AS TIRE CHAINS.
IN CASE YOU BECOME STRANDED, STAY IN YOUR CAR AND WAIT FOR HELP TO
ARRIVE.

STAY TUNED TO THIS STATION OR NOAA WEATHER RADIO FOR LATEST DETAILS
AND UPDATED WARNINGS.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Crusty I hope you weren't offended I was only trying to feebly joke lightly and I really did enjoy the Wooster area.

(back to thread...)

Now the snow's actually starting to stick again. Another 6 inches is supposed to fall tonight.

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
the 7 to 11 inches predicted the blizzard would bring here, has increased, to a *possible* 30 inches.

what in the name of weather is going on here?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just your average run-of-the-mill Northern New England Winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
whats is the coldest it gets in new england?

[/ QUOTE ]

Along the border between Vermont and Canada there is an area that Vermont calls " The Northern Kingdom." Tempertures there have been recorded as low as forty eight degrees below zero. (-48)

Bill.H

Enlightened
Depends on which part of N.E., Raggie. It's a big place.

I've never seen below -20, and I've only personally seen below -10 twice. It's happened other times but I slept through it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The record low is 48 below, IIRC. Depending on where you are in New England, you can expect from one to 20 (maybe 30?) days with negative lows each winter.

I once had a link to a great weather stats page and I can't find it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wow thats cold! i guess ya get used to it. its around 28 here tonight and im freezeing .but we dont run heat here this house is way to old and un insultaed but my electric blanket is a awesume thing it gets to hot my dogs love it when its cold specaily the chow mix

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the lowest temperature recorded here was -48ºF in a February @ an elevation of 458 feet. *lol* via Van Buren, ME..
the *real* record low is -55ºF via Allagash, ME but it was discounted due to "faulty instruments".. ha! i'd believe it! you Southern Mainers got it good!

but that's not even getting into windchill. we get wind storms in the winter that have put the temperature to 60/70 below.. this is way up in Northern Maine tho..

okay. it's 4:30 in the morning and i'm rambling. i hope this suffices you Raggie, *LOL*

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Crusty! Someone other than myself in North Central Ohio (on CPF). That Blizzard was the meanest and nastiest snowstorm I have seen, so far. I spent 3 days working communications (Amateur Radio: ARES), including riding Patrol with a Richland County Deputy. They only had one or two cruisers available, as the rest got buried in snowdrifts, on various roads.

I will never forget **** Goddard's weather forecast on the 11 PM channel 8 Cleveland news, January 25, 1978. He hemmed, hawed, and beat around the bush: "This extremely deep Gulf low pressure system in Kentucky, will eat this one and that one, and head straight up through Ohio." Never once showed satellite photo(s) that night. The way he said it, coupled with his tone of voice, got me to say "Uh Oh!!!!!"

Snow drifted from all directions. We didn't lose power here, and I am not sure why, all things considered. Glad we didn't.

Blinded, looks you folks are in for some 'fun'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Crusty

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
binky said:
Hey Crusty I hope you weren't offended I was only trying to feebly joke lightly and I really did enjoy the Wooster area.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem! When were you here?

Crusty

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grew up in the northeast Kingdom area of Vermont, about 40 miles or so from the Canadian border. I've personally seen it -38 degrees F. Of course you then always have the neighbors bragging about just how cold they were, compared to others and exaggeration results. That is an extreme temp but it is a rare winter that it doesn't get to at least -20.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grew up in Chicago,
The most insane weather was there in 1979, the Blizzard of '79 in particular. A blizzard slammed Chicago with 23 inches of snow... 4 days later we got hit AGAIN with 20 inches of snow...then the temperatures dropped to -29 with the winds hitting 50MPH.
I remember that morning, I got up and the radio broadcast 29 below with a wind chill of 93 degrees below zero. I had to deliver the Sunday paper to 71 people so I bundled up and went outside. It was the coolest thing I ever saw, total and complete isolation. Nobody was on the street, no traffic and the only sound was my boots crunching the snow.
The winds were screaming and snow was blowing, my customers would see me putting their paper between the storm door and outside door and take me inside. It took 4 hours to do a 1.5 hour job becuase everyone thought I was nuts.
The cold after the dual blizzards lasted 45 days, it never got above freezing and walls of snow was the norm. I made a lot of money shoveling snow and getting snow off roofs so they would not collapse. I miss those days... forcast for N TX is windy with a high of 67F and sunny.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was stationed in the upper peninsula of Michigan and arrived the 24th of Dec to almost 30 inches of snow and by easter had gotten 212 inches of snow. I got stuck in my work place with the blizzard of 79 for three days with just the bosses liquor supply and the contents of our cafeteria larder and 4 other techs that were also too dumb to leave and beat the blizzard home. We had to really work to clean out the booze before being rescued. PS we got paid at OT rates for 76 hours.Thats a good boss for you, he didn't mind us emptying his liquor cabinet.

Bill.H

Enlightened
We're all kind of lucky, all talking about our worst weather and it sounds like a normal day up on Mt. Washington in NH. Personally, I'd much rather have it be -30 than have it be 0 with 75MPH winds. That place is unbelievable!

I don't know why people go there in the winter, see what it's like now.

http://www.mountwashington.org/cam/deck/index.php

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Brock said:
Oh for snow tires you can't beat Nokian's I have the Hakka Q's. ...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hakka's are GREAT snow tires - Last year I put a set of the Nokian WRs on my car - it's Nokian's "all weather" tire, but it's still better than 90% of the snow tires out there - it has the "Mountain and Snowflake" Rating of a REAL snowtire.

As for studs, here in NY, the are only leag from Nov15th to March15th - You CAN'T beat them on ICE, but on dry pavement they DO rip up the road

As for full chains, LOTS of folks say that they are illeagal around here. I went to the PD and asked, and was told that they ARE legal

My Pickup, which is 2wd and does NOT have a limited slip diferential tends to slip a LOT (Hey, it was a used truck - I would not order it with out the limited slip"), so I tend to put chains on. I was using them Friday night and Saturday. Any of the diamond chains are the best, but I have a regular set

Many Front wheel drive cars can't use chains, or at least "Normal" chains - there are "close clearance" chains that can be used on the fronts of many cars

That said, this weekend sucked "Car wise" for me - Saturn cars have a real problem - if you idle them a LONG time, you get visted by the "alternator fairy" - aka, you fry your voltage regulator, which fails "High", so you boil your battery with out warning, and then when you go to accelerate when the traffic moves, the car fails. My wife's car is still stuck till tomorrow. It took me 2:45 to get to her, which in normal conditions would have taken 20 minutes.

Then SATURDAY AM, when I was about to go out and try and get a tow for her, my truck would not start - Nope - not the battery (which I replaced anyway) - The STARTER failed. I DID manage to get that to the shop, and had it fixed yesterday...

Sigh

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
As for "COLD" temps, the most famous place in the US for that is International Falls, MN. The JOKE is that there is a spot in NY that is considered colder bt the NWS (Old Forge NY - not too far from Lake Placid) - the problem I heard was that not enough people live there to be considered the coldest place.

I was in Lake Placid one time (ski trip), and when I got up in the AM it was -42F (which would be -41c). Went sking anyway. Hey, I was young and crazy. The sky area had a guy posted at the lifts, and when you got to the lift, he would ask to see your hands and face - he was looking for signs of frostbite!!! If you LOOKED cold, you were sent to the lodge to warm up - no trip on the lift for you!

The coldest I've ever felt was artifical. I believe I've said before that I used to work in an "Envronmental Test Lab" - Ever seen the Dell (I think) commercial where they are heating, cooling and bouncing the computers around? That's what I used to do to military electronics, for real. It's a LOT more sophisticated than it is in the commercial

Well, anyway, we had a piece of gear that had to be tested (operating) at -79c (aka -110F), it had to be stored to -87c (-125F). Well, I got to be the guy to walk into the test chamber to take the reading. I did NOT have a winter coat - did it in my shirt sleaves!! We DID turn off the blower fans, so there was no wind. I spent about 3 minutes in there. MAN THAT WAS COLD. It felt REAL good to get out of that chamber, and walk into the 72 deg office, and even better to walk outside into the 95 deg hot and humid day

I've also walked into 120 deg F chambers (That is HOT), I've ridden out a R6 earthquake on a shaker (they would NOT allow me to ride higher - too much chance of getting hurt)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
how in the world do you all take that weather?do you just get used to it?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, you don't get used to it, but you come to expect it.. actually there are ppl who get used to it.. we call them winter sportsmen. *lol*

my back hurts from shoveling! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif shovel neighbors cars out, shovel walkways, shovel steps, all for free! all i get is a sore back!

Latest posts