PT EOS Seoul & Reflector Mod Writeup

barkingmad

Enlightened
Would this work as well with a CREE instead of a Seoul star?

I did it to one with a Seoul star - very quick and easy mod - also tried it with a few different reflectors and the stock PT EOS reflector is not bad itself...?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
sure... doing it with a CREE will make it harder to get a reflector to work... also.. the stars on the CREE aren't as good as the SSC

gunga

Flashaholic
I used a cree star (before the seouls were available) and used a drilled out, filed down IMS17. Just recently re-used the optic holder to hold the star on and added a diffusion film. Works quite well. The beam would probably be smoother with a seoul, but I'm pretty happy.

Will have to check out a Zebralight when they come out...

jar3ds, what do you mean the cree stars aren't as good?

barkingmad

Enlightened
I like the PT Eos as a headlamp so bought another as a bike (front) lamp - will stick a CREE in this one to compare.

Still think the stock optic is quite good (fairly similar to a smooth reflector) but a stippled reflector certainly gives much more flood / diffused beam. I have got a variety of reflectors to try but the stock one is zero cost and a perfect fit - so you can do the upgrade for about US$8 (i.e. just the cost of the star).

mosport

Enlightened
Nice writeup and pics tibim, thanks for taking the time to detail the steps.

Modded another EOS with P4 and wanted to share a little tweak to get rid of a rattling Khatod 17mm reflector that was driving me nuts! Used a thick rubber band from supermarket produce as a sleeve to grip the reflector inside the holder, filling up the gap and eliminating all movement. Practically invisible when completed and this way you won't risk damaging the silicone lens by crazy gluing the reflector to P4 shoulder.

Also made a thin slit on the lower left and upper right optic mounting tabs with a razor blade, allowing easier removal of the black optic-reflector holder. Sometimes these tabs are really stubborn to get off the 4 grey posts, so if you slit them before removing the stock LUX and slide a razor under the star you'll reduce the risk of breaking the fragile glass thermal sensor.

Plus now you're all set for the next generation LED whatever that is and whenever it's available :)

img1134ux9.jpg
img1135eyq3.jpg

img1137yw6.jpg
img1138tq5.jpg

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess (which is just that since I have not done this mod myself) would be that an SSC P4 U bin would be about 60 lumens on High in the EOS. I figure my R bin LuxI light is 32 lumens on high, so just about double that for the Seoul.

glyphin

Newly Enlightened
Nice writeup and pictures. Seems straightforward to follow. Still...

Anybody want to sell me a pre-modded EOS? One that follows the specs above would be perfect. PM me. Thanks! :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
My guess (which is just that since I have not done this mod myself) would be that an SSC P4 U bin would be about 60 lumens on High in the EOS. I figure my R bin LuxI light is 32 lumens on high, so just about double that for the Seoul.
You guys... quit twisting my arm!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice writeup and pictures. Seems straightforward to follow. Still...

Anybody want to sell me a pre-modded EOS? One that follows the specs above would be perfect. PM me. Thanks! :)

Hi all! I am new to CPF, but not to LED lights in general. Gotta love 'em! This is a really great write-up, but I am definitely solder-shy. As mentioned above, I would definitely like to buy one of these pre-modded. If anyone has one already modded they would like to sell, or, would consider making for me, PM me and we'll talk. :eek:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soldering is the easiest and fastst part of this mod. Breaking open the case and fooling with the reflector is harder. The P4 Star alread have solder blobs. So all you need to do is hold the wire on top and touch it with a soldering iron for a sec or two. Practice on some resistors from an old circuit board.

Propretor

Newly Enlightened
Whoops, you're correct. Updated the writeup. Thanks!

-tibim

Hi!:wave:
At me 3 questions.:candle:
1. In Princeton Tec EOS is mounted Lumileds (Philips) Luxeon LXHL-MW1D?
2. If it so, why Princeton Tec informs about 25lm, and you write about 32lm?
According to the documentation, LXHL-MW1D has 45lm at 350ma.
3. What current (in ma) flows through LED In a mode of the maximal brightness?

Propretor

Newly Enlightened
Has not waited of the answer to the questions...
There were new questions:
1. What Width Beam of optics PT EOS?
2. What Width Beam of optics PT Apex?

Esthan

Enlightened
I've probably been "luckier" than most of You.

I needed to cut the plastic holder in half and then squeeze the
reflector in - else it wouldn't fit. After that a final touch of a lot
of tape on the outside to keep it from falling away, and it works :D

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Hi!:wave:
At me 3 questions.:candle:
1. In Princeton Tec EOS is mounted Lumileds (Philips) Luxeon LXHL-MW1D?
2. If it so, why Princeton Tec informs about 25lm, and you write about 32lm?
According to the documentation, LXHL-MW1D has 45lm at 350ma.
3. What current (in ma) flows through LED In a mode of the maximal brightness?

1. Exactly.
2. I don't remember claiming it was 32 lumens but anywhere from 25-35 sounds like an acceptable range for the light... It comes down to chance and sometimes you end up with a better bin LED and slightly more lumens.
3. I have heard it's 300ma but have not measured it myself.

For the other two questions I don't know what you mean. With the stock optic the beam is pretty narrow but not as bad as say a KL1. I don't have an apex to compare it to. In my opinion the EOS is much better for all around usage with a reflector instead of the stock optic.

-tibim

Last edited:

Propretor

Newly Enlightened
Thank for the answer.
If I correctly have understood (English not my native language),
Princeton Tec is insured, underestimating the declared brightness in 25lm.
I studied the documentation (datasheet) on Luxeon LXHL-MW1D, but where has not found BIN-marks on him. About what there is a speech?
I have EOS and Apex. The measurements with the help of a ruler and calculator have given:
EOS - 7 degrees Width Beam
Apex - 18 degrees Width Beam.
The brightness at the centre, approximately, is identical.
Also it would be desirable to learn, what optics uses Princeton Tec in EOS and Apex.
Why reflector the lenses are better?

Last edited:

tibim

Newly Enlightened
Thank for the answer.
If I correctly have understood (English not my native language),
Princeton Tec is insured, underestimating the declared brightness in 25lm.
I studied the documentation (datasheet) on Luxeon LXHL-MW1D, but where has not found BIN-marks on him. About what there is a speech?
I have EOS and Apex. The measurements with the help of a ruler and calculator have given:
EOS - 7 degrees Width Beam
Apex - 18 degrees Width Beam.
The brightness at the centre, approximately, is identical.
Also it would be desirable to learn, what optics uses Princeton Tec in EOS and Apex.
Why reflector the lenses are better?

The bin is specific to each unit and defines the color (tint) and efficiency(output) of that LED. See http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/bin_codes/index.htm for more information. The bin is printed on the back of each star next to the serial number and other information.

Switching from the PT EOS optic to a reflector makes the width of the beam greater. It will still have a bright center, but instead of abrupt darkness it will be surrounded by a wide less intense circle of light. Most people prefer this as it lets you see a larger area without having to move the light around.

I dont know any more technical information about the optic they use in the PT EOS and APEX.

-tibim