PT EOS Seoul & Reflector Mod Writeup

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soldering is the easiest and fastst part of this mod. Breaking open the case and fooling with the reflector is harder. The P4 Star alread have solder blobs. So all you need to do is hold the wire on top and touch it with a soldering iron for a sec or two. Practice on some resistors from an old circuit board.

Thank's cave dave! :) I really should start experimenting soon, but another CPF member sold me his pre-modded light. I can't wait to get it and try it out on a hike!

:D

LEDAdd1ct

AvroArrow

Enlightened
My SSC P4 USV0H stars & 17mm Khatod reflectors finally came in so I just did the mod last night. Oh yeah, thanks for the tip about the rubber band mosport! That really helped to center the reflector as well as stop the rattling.

Anyway, I did the mod and... yes it's brighter... but I'm not that impressed. Maybe I was too caught up the in the hype of the new Crees/SSC P4s (this is my 1st actual Cree or SSC mod), but it just doesn't look that much brighter than the my old mod (just swapped the optic for an IMS17). The hot spot is about the same as before, but the flood/sidespill is brighter... but not WOW!!! eye scorchingly bright. I guess all the extra lumens from the U-bin went to the flood beam instead of the hotspot. Mind you, the stock Lux1 was a RX0H and the swap was to SSC USV0H, so maybe it wasn't a big enough jump in lumens for my eyes to really notice. Regardless, it's still dimmer than my stock HDS U60GT on max (my reference light), but much floodier. And it's still much better than a completely stock EOS.

gunga

Flashaholic
Which reflector did you use Avro? SMooth or stippled?

I'm waiting for my stuff to arrive so I can do the mod also, I want to try a stipple to get a smooth flood...

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Which reflector did you use Avro? SMooth or stippled?

I was using a smooth 17mm Khatod. I actually have a stippled 17mm Khatod also. I played with the stippled a bit during the mod, but it was still too much light from outside so I couldn't get a good comparison versus my old IMS17 mod. From what I can remember, the stippled was almost all flood that fades away at the edges and had a sort of bright spot in the middle, but it wasn't a traditional hot spot, just a brighter spot. The 17K smooth has a beam that looks more like a IMS17, but different. The IMS17 has a very distinct and sharp hotspot (with a luxeon anyway) with a very even flood around it. The 17K smooth has a hotspot that's less distinct and it kind of blends into the flood that fades out at the edges. And mine was just the slightest bit ringy near the edge of the flood. I'll try to take some beamshots to give a better idea and also so I have a better idea of before and after improvments. I still have a stock EOS that needs an upgrade. :D

gunga

Flashaholic
Actually, I just completed this mod. Used a Khatod stipple 17mm reflector.

:twothumbs

THis is exactly what I want. A nice, smooth flood, with super bright spill. I slight "hotspot", but nothing that will blind you at short range.

THis is definitely not a thrower, but I've wanted a Seoul/Cree flood headlamp for awhile. My last mod (a Cree) was pretty sweet, but more throwy than I wanted.

THis one is SWEET! I won't hold my breath if the Zebralight doesn't pan out (still hoping), I'm glad to have a sweet floody EOS. I much prefer this over the angry Blue Nichias in the (very nice un-modded) PT Quad.

Cheers to PhotonFanatic for offering such great stuff!

AvroArrow

Enlightened
For those contemplating which Khatod 17mm reflector to use for their SSC/Khatod mod, here's a couple of beamshots (sorry for the weird tilt in the beam pattern, but I couldn't get the EOS's to sit straight).

Khatod 17mm smooth:
khatod17smoothsmbq1.jpg

Khatod 17mm stipple:
khatod17stipplesmxg8.jpg

I haven't really had a chance to use these outdoors yet, so I'm not sure which is more useful, but they are definitely brighter than stock.

ttay1977

Newly Enlightened
Here's my beam shots:

SSC w/ Khatod 17mm smooth vs stock
IMG_0546smooth.jpg

SSC w/ Khatod 17mm stipple vs stock
IMG_0547stipple.jpg

Last edited:

trentwebb

Newly Enlightened
Great writeup and tips for this mod! I just bought an EOS and it seems like the Fenix reflectors are discontinued. Anyone hava a source for them? Thanks.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
If you can't get the Fenix reflector, just get Khatod 17mm reflectors from PhotonFanatic in Dealers section on CPFMarketPlace. That's what I used for my beamshots a few posts up. You will have to do the rubberband trick that mosport mentioned, but it works great.

coors

Enlightened
I just received my PT EOS and I've just been testing it against my Myo XP in a dark room. It's actually brighter than the 3w XP, but it has no "spill" like the XP. After seeing the "beamshots" of the modified EOSs, I just ordered 2x Seoul SSC P4s to modify my EOS. I see that the Fenix reflectors are all gone, so I'd like to get the afore mentioned Khatod 17 reflector, but I do not know how to go about finding these. Does someone have a direct link to a sellers Khatod 17 page?

coors

RickyT

Newly Enlightened
I just received my PT EOS and I've just been testing it against my Myo XP in a dark room. It's actually brighter than the 3w XP, but it has no "spill" like the XP. After seeing the "beamshots" of the modified EOSs, I just ordered 2x Seoul SSC P4s to modify my EOS. I see that the Fenix reflectors are all gone, so I'd like to get the afore mentioned Khatod 17 reflector, but I do not know how to go about finding these. Does someone have a direct link to a sellers Khatod 17 page?

coors

Fred is the guy to see Khatod Optics and Reflector for the P4.

He has lots of goodies, and speedy shipping.

barkingmad

Enlightened
Was doing a few of these for friends and accidentally broke the thermal sensor (underneath the star) when removing it from one of them. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement part - or have one spare / know where I can get one?

:oops:

BTW it does not work just 'wired' through (tried it) - light comes on and goes off about 5 seconds later.

Last edited:

KrisP

Enlightened
I snapped my sensor too so I just cut it off, works fine without it.

I've also been using mine without a reflector at all the perfectly even flood is much more useful than a focused beam for my uses :)