Purpose of Hard Anodized Finish??

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightplay22 said:
All raw (uncoated) aluminum I'v ever handled left nasty gray smudges on whatever it rubbed up against. I definately would not have an aluminum flashlight that had no coating whatsoever on it.

wax em, polishes it up nice, and puts a thin layer of protection on that stops the oxidation.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
HA 1 and HA 2 are interesting concepts that don't exist.

HA III is a redundant term that is excepted, understood yet totally incorrect. The main purpose of the term HA III is to bug Size15's and cause greenLED to swat his forehead then sigh making a Haaa sound.

Ha Ha.:nana:

Last edited:

batman

Enlightened
knowing that HA finish is actually a growth which seperates it from types I & II anodizing which is merely a coating does infact make me feel more confident about it. Nokia made a few all aluminum bodied world phones in the early 2000s, (8890,8850,etc) that I would like to have seen finished in HA. Sadly, the phone is now out-dated because of the North American 850MHz band.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
good thread.... .good food for thought... i personally seem to want a Ti light lately... I really want a Fenix L0D CE/P4 (good flood) SS/Ti that is designed for .9-4.2v regulated...

Please fenix!

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
batman said:
knowing that HA finish is actually a growth which seperates it from types I & II anodizing which is merely a coating does infact make me feel more confident about it. Nokia made a few all aluminum bodied world phones in the early 2000s, (8890,8850,etc) that I would like to have seen finished in HA. Sadly, the phone is now out-dated because of the North American 850MHz band.

This is not correct, Type 2 anodizing is a growth too.
For that matter type 2 and type 3 can be considered two completely different processes or two variations of the same process depending on who you talk to.

The Following are very general descriptions-

Type 2 uses higher concentrations of Sulfuric acid and higher temperatures with less electrical current to grow a thinner coat. It also has much more color flexibility.

Type 3 uses lower concentrations of Sulfuric acid and sometimes a mix of Sulfuric acid and oxalic acid, with much lower and carefully controlled temperature and more electrical current to produce a coat that can be thicker and harder.

There are many other factors that determine the durability of the anodized finish, whether it is type 2 or type 3.

The real question is how does one know if a manufacturer that is claiming type 3 hard anodizing is delivering that product?

Now add to this question the fact that soft aluminum can be type 2 or type 3 hard anodized and properly heat treated and tempered aluminum can be
type 2 or type 3 hard anodized.

How does a consumer know if a manufacturer is actually heat treating and tempering the light that is getting hard anodized?
Many people assume this is always the case and it is not.

Now factor in the fact that Chinese anodizers do not use the same terms.

I have been planning on starting a thread that deals with the variables with anodizing, tempering, post anodized finishing, etc.. but have not gotten the time yet due to some other CPF related commitments.

My goal is to promote discusion regarding the questions above.

I hope to start a thread that will include very detailed photos of lights that I know are type 2 anodized and lights that are heat treated and tempered and type 3 anodized and then photos of lights I question.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Type III HD is overrated in my opinion, either that or there are many different qualities of it.

Hard chromed will be your most durable finish.

I have powder coated things at home that hold up better than HA.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
batman said:
I think flashlights should be made of a harder substance than flimsy aluminum. Titanium yes, but obviously too expensive. i can think of like 5 billion materials that are harder than aluminum, geesh. why?
Aluminum moves heat very well. Better than titanium, anyway, and is still strong enough to do the job. I prefer an anodized finish because I like the grip they afford, and they do stop that grey goop.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill97z said:
Type III HD is overrated in my opinion, either that or there are many different qualities of it.

Hard chromed will be your most durable finish.

I have powder coated things at home that hold up better than HA.

There are different qualities of type 3 and the hardness of the aluminum below effects it's durability too.

I agree that it is highly over rated because it is so mis-understood and many people instantly think things of the term type 3 that are not necessarily true in all cases.

Type 3 merely designates a process that CAN produce very hard and durable results. However people can use the type 3 process and finish with something else and state the light is has been type 3 hard anodized if no other specifications are required.
In industry both type 2 and type 3 anodizing are often used for preparing aluminum for other coatings.

I have some Chinese lights with a very unique anodize/+coat that the manufacuter clearly said is type 2. These were from a non CPF company that I used help with QC testing. These lights have a nicer look then many type 3 lights.
I used to drop them from 5 or 6 feet to concrete to see if I could jolt apart the soldering, foul up the circuitry, etc. The finish really holds up well.
Some of them were anodized on the end of the body and would not light.
They were a real pain to sand clean.

I have some friends that have been using these for a couple of years and they look as nice now as when I gave them to my friends.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave: