Put Your Photon Rex Comments/Reviews Here!

todo

Newly Enlightened
Just got my Rex. Is it ok to use an RCR123A 3.0 volt battery to charge with?

Love the light it is very bright and the recharge feature is great.

I did however have to trim the plastic around one of the magnets on the charge plug in order for it to make contact. It appears as though there is a small plastic ring around the negative side contact to ensure that it is placed on the light with correct polarity. However this ring was making good contact very difficult. After trimming it seats every time, however care must NOW be taken to not connect backwards.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is a bit odd that there is no mention of what type of battery (or voltage) is acceptable to charge with on the enclosed literature.

I originally connected a RCR123 cell ( probably about 4 volts freshly charged) to charge one of my two lights when I first got it and it kept blinking for more than two hours (if I remember correctly) and did not stop. I thought it was a bit odd and connected a 1.2 volt Eneloop cell and it stopped blinking within about a minute. I am not sure if the 3.6 volt cell was causing a problem or not but I have not since tried it again since the regular 1.2 - 1.5 cells seemed to work well. I may have to try a higher voltage cell again.

I am liking this light more and more. The UI is fantastic and I really like being able to ramp either from low to high or high to low. My thought now is a slightly larger light with a higher capacity Lithium Polymer cell with the same electronics and LED's would be killer. A nice flat pocket light. LRI - are you listening? This would be a truely unique light that nobody else has. Your UI is awsome. Use the same switch, LED's, and make the body smooth and able to accomodate the Lithium Polymer cell.

There is a cell available that is the same thickness but about 1 inch by about 2.5 inches and has over 600 mAH capacity. The Lithium Polymer cell would be unique and allow the light to have a size advantage over anything else available. The charging mechanism of the ReX would allow this.

Or another idea is a similar flat light using two AAA cells that can be replaced. Same LED's and switch mechanism in a small flat pocket light - killer.

Last edited:

Kraid

Enlightened
Mine is a lovely shade of lapis...
And I experienced the same problem with trying to charge from a CR123A. Left it to charge overnight, and in the morning it was still flashing and was very dim. Could be that my original idea of using this to suck the remaining juice out of almost dead batteries leaves this light very weak and that only fresh batteries should be used. Seems the light doesn't stop trying to charge when the battery runs out of juice. Or perhaps it doesn't stop trying to charge when its on a higher voltage cell regardless. In all, this light doesn't live up to my hopes. But its still a fine light and has replaced my white Photon Freedom with no remorse. Still won't be caught dead without my P2D CE though.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Rex yesterday. I immediately connected it to a AA that happened to be right there where I opened it. OK, not Immediately, but after playing with it for a few seconds - it is bright for its size!
The connection requires a try one way - didn't work - try the other - hmm - push to get the little plastic ring in place and tadaa! Commence blinking. The push to connect makes sure it is not likely to fall apart while charging.
Playing with it last night, it rocks. After carrying a Photon Freedom on my keychain for a while, you can tell this is a little bigger in pants pockets, but still un-noticeable in my jacket pocket. And with the plastic housing and protected LEDs, I don't worry about it in there at all. especially after enabling the 3 minute shutdown feature.

The only thing I would change about it is the click noise of the switch. A tiny bit too loud in quiet places I want to click it on super low unobtrusively. That is why I like my Photon Freedom better than the X-light Micro. And possibly add the hunting feature.

Great light LRI!

designated_marksman

Newly Enlightened
I really like it, ordered 3 more, which makes 5 total. This first one I've received is going to a friend though, so I'll likely be waiting for the other 4 till January, it'll be worth it though. :wave:

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any comparison pictures? I'd love to see it next to other keychain lights. Beamshots would be nice too. :naughty:

bazzers

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Blindasabat: I agree, the ReX button click noise is a bit loud for some uses. I suspect mechanism with half this volume might keep heads from turning toward the sound of a ReX click in a theater, but would still provide enough tactile/audio feedback for, say, gloved-hand use in a reasonably-loud wind.

Some ReX observations/questions:
A) Auto-dim: My ReX seems to spontaneously transition from constant-on to PWM-dim mode when batteries are low.
Details -- When batteries are low enough to dim the light, and starting from Constant mode: click button to turn on light, swing light around a bit to ensure PWM is not operating (i.e. observe solid streaks along light path), wait a minute or two (perhaps notice light abruptly dims), swing light around a bit more (keeping clear of button to be positive you are not causing a mode change), note that light is now dimmed via PWM mode (i.e. observe dotted streaks).
Do others see this (and, like me, _not_ see this behavior on their Photon Freedom)? I'm not complaining, this looks like a good idea for the Rex, since it's a light that can be usefully employed at such a wide range of brightnesses.

B) Countdown: There seems to be a kind of 'countdown' displayed as battery charging approaches completion. The blinking changes from simple, evenly spaced flashes (roughly 1 second apart) to clusters of flashes (still ~1 second apart) separated by a pause (of, say, four seconds). When recharging a more-than-slightly depleted ReX (i.e. more than a minute or two of full-brightness since last full charge), goes from simple periodic flashing, to a cluster length starts somewhere between 12 and 10, and over many minutes, changes cluster-length towards 1, and soon after reaching 1, changes to to 'no more flashes; charging done'. There is some jitter, the number of flashes in an example series of flash-clusters might be something like:
(simple periodic)...,12,12,...,11,12,11,...,8,8,8,7,8,8,7,7,7,.....7,6,7,7,6,......1, 1, 1, (no more flashes; charging done).
I mostly charge with AA NiMHs, don't know if this happens for other battery types/voltage ranges/internal resistance values.

I'm not quite sure in either A) or B) is if the behavior was carefully chosen by the firmware authors, or if I'm seeing some unintentional result of software / device-property interaction. Photon/LRI folks: any insight here?

Cheers,

Bazzers

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
ReX Augmentation

ok, so i've had this lil' puppy in my hands for only an hour or two now.

like y'all said, it is a very nice little light. many thanks to those who so highly recommended this fine little light.

now, normally, i prefer most lights in their more natural form. however, i think that the ReX should cut a slightly fuller silhouette - one that would enable it to be more easily used for hands-free operation.

now, even though i'm sometimes just a tad critical of the Photon/Fusion/Proton UI (the lack of "hunting"), i've been a big fan of LRI/PhotonLights products for a few years now, as witness:

2 White/Red Fusion headlamps, 2 White/Red FusionFreedom headlamps, 1 Red/Amber(Yellow) FusionFreedom headlamp, 2 Protons, 1 ProtonPro, 2 (or more) of every color Microlight II [not counting the freebies given away by LH, BJ, and others when i make a purchase with them], 1 of every color of Microlight III plus one additional White Covert, 2 or more of every color of FreedomMicrolight plus 2 additional White coverts (one a new DS version scheduled to arrive soon)...

...as such, couple this predilection for PhotonLights with my frequent need for hands-free lighting and i simply had to do something 'bout the flat ReX profile.

since i have so many FreedomMicrolights, i also have a whole slew of the hands-free cap brim/visor clips that come with them.

one volunteered to be the sacrificial clip and get transplanted to the Rex to complete the ReX's enhancement.

the clip had the top retainers for the Microlight removed and then was gently sanded flat with very fine sandpaper.

the surface of the clip was then cut a bit shorter to ensure that the charging adapter could still fit after the ReX's augmentation surgery was complete.

since silicone wouldn't do for this augmentation, my favorite brand of cyanoacrylate (LocTite) was then recruited and the clip was [semi]permanently bonded to the flat underside of the ReX.

now if a flatter profile ReX is required for some purpose, the spring loaded clip portion and swivel ball can be easily be detached from the clip base which is now bonded to the underside of the ReX.

with the clip turned and folded sideways underneath toward the rear of the Rex, the Rex is now ~2x thicker in the pocket - i can live with that.

thus ends this tale of ReX Augmentation surgery.

phatalbert

Enlightened
Any comparison pictures? I'd love to see it next to other keychain lights. Beamshots would be nice too. :naughty:

IMG_5332.jpg

AlexSchira

Enlightened
At this point, I'm crazy enough that I wish there were a better neck-carry option just to try it out. One more shopping trip to get everyone done for the holiday, and I'm ordering mine.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bazzers - I also notice a similar flashing sequence towards the end of the charge on AA cell as you described. It almost looks as if there is some kind of code.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Perhaps the last gasp of energy sez:

Death to Fauxtons !

:devil:
_

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Between the new Nichias and Crees, those clones can't swing around being brighter anymore. Cheaper, yes. Then again, a third of a penny per charge...Hm...Think Lighthould could match 300 clones for a buck?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my ReX lights yesterday. These puppies put out an amazingly bright flood of light and they're keepers, BUT I have to admit I was disappointed in a few, mainly cosmetic characteristics.

1) Overall, the fit and finish of the light doesn't seem to have the quality that I associate with Photon and their Microlights.

2) The "glow" switch doesn't do it for me--I think the light would look better all black, or at least with a smaller glow area. From a functional standpoint however, the glow switch is practical.

3) Further about the switch, to me the click coupled with the sort of loose, rubbery feel does not seem as sturdy as the switches on the Microlights. I trust that this is just a subjective observation, and not in fact, true.

4) I guess I'm spoiled by the Photon Microlights, but at first glance, the ReX is mammoth in comparison. I know I shouldn't compare the two lights, since the number of LEDs and light output aren't comparable, either, but...

Bottom line, if Photon/LRI could just make the case sleeker (taper the sides perhaps, and shrink the pointed loop at the top), I would be all over this light the way I was with the Microlights.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a very impressive light, and I expect to be purchasing more.