Quick review - Novatac EDC-120T (Now with Beam Shots!)

recce556

Newly Enlightened
Re: Quick review - Novatac EDC-120T

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome! I'm actually not in the military but in LE.

As for the feedback on the click tailcap, it's a very short throw comapred to the Surefires (Scout, M962XM07 and Z49 tailcap on one of my 6P's). The feel is somewhat like a standard 6P momentary tailcap if you turn the tailcap so that it's about 1/2 turn from ON. However, the Novatac has a positive "click" feel and it takes just a bit more pressure to actually throw the switch. Also the Novatac's button is smaller so it's not as easy to accidentally turn on. plus you have to hit it more center than on the momentary 6P (where if you just catch an edge, it will activate). That's the best I can describe it.

For me, the extra lumens is more useful than a slightly longer runtime. As it is, with the lower power modes, if I need to conserve battery power, I would just kick it down to the next level.

Here are some photos of the unit broken down (at least as far as I'd take it):

EDC120T-2.jpg

EDC120T-3.jpg

EDC120T-4.jpg

Last edited:

recce556

Newly Enlightened

And here's a "tactical" photo of the EDC-120T. :D

ARP7M8EDC120T.jpg

(btw, these are my "civilian" guns...the issues ones are...well...let's just say they're not my "go to" guns for a SHTF situation.:rolleyes:)

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

recce556,
Did you happen to measure the dia. of the lens when you had the light apart? I could find a glass lens while waiting for my preorder to be filled.

x2x3x2

Banned

Is it just me or does the lens look yellowish?

If it is, that's a bad sign of low grade plastic which usually yellow after some time or when exposed to heat and certain liquids.

Xygen

Enlightened

Is it just me or does the lens look yellowish?

If it is, that's a bad sign of low grade plastic which usually yellow after some time or when exposed to heat and certain liquids.

Or it's for tint correction.... :confused:

recce556

Newly Enlightened

Nake, I just miked the lens and it's 0.886" in diameter and 0.075" thick. If you find a TEMPERED glass lens, let me know, I'll take one too!;)

The lens does have a slight tint of yellow to it. It's not as bad as the photo however. The only way you can really see the tint is to put it on something. Just looking through it, I don't notice any color. Now remember that this is a pre-production model so the final production may or may not have a tint.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nake, I just miked the lens and it's 0.886" in diameter and 0.075" thick. If you find a TEMPERED glass lens, let me know, I'll take one too!;)

That converts to 22.5mm and 1.9mm. wwwflashlightlens.com has 22.6mm and 22.8mm. The 22.8mm says that it is a replacement for the HDS EDC, I imagine pre Novatac. The 22.6mm is only 1.1mm thick. There are also some in closeout/specials. I can't find if they're tempered, but they are quality lenses. I've bought a number of them for different lights. Check to see if 22.8mm will fit, that's .898".

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

I imagine FLL will make a novatac drop in lens UCL available. It would be very popular!

I'm going to email Novatac about reconsidering gluing the bezel. Bezel mods are half the fun. And its cheaper and quicker to replace a scratched lens yourself then have to ship it back and forth to Novatac. Lets start a Petition!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

recce556 - thanks for the great review and welcome to CPF. There's quite a few other LEO's here also. I think you've picked one of the really great tactical lights - possibly the best out there now.

who

Newly Enlightened

Great review. I have one pre-ordered also.
Cool P7M8 (or is it P7M10?), on of the best if not the best known.
As long as we are talking about switch, I believe your selector is missing a position which points to the rear. Just kidding!:)

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened

recce556: Thanks for the great review! who: It could also be a P7M13. Hard to tell at that photo angle. It doesn't appear to be a P7M10 which has a little more " blocky " appearance, but I may be wrong. Should have kept mine.

Bob

hivoltage

Enlightened

I have a 120T ordered from Lighthound. Anybody hear an update on when we will see them?

recce556

Newly Enlightened

LA OZ: The lens was easy to take out. You just unscrew the crenulated bezel and the lens just falls out. There was no glue. There is a o-ring under the lens which is then followed by the reflector. When I went to measure the lens, I noticed that it all just comes apart. The reflector is a little hard to get out as it just fits the opening. Takes a little wiggling.

Nake: Thanks for that link. I guess I'll wait and see if the come out with one specifically for the EDS line.

As for the pistol, it's actually a P7M8. As for the selector on the AR...yeah, it's not the "Fun Switch" version unfortunately. :sigh:

who

Newly Enlightened

Hi Bob,
You are right, I am getting old, old enough to own a PSP when it first came out. I meant the P7M13, same 9mm gun, bigger magazine.

For flashlight content, I like to pair my light with my sidearm. For the P7M8, the old reliable TW4 is a perfect match. I enhanced the TW4 with a 15 ohm Mc2ES, and changed the body to a Shoppe CR2. A great slim, low profile pair for discreet carrying.
recce556: Thanks for the great review! who: It could also be a P7M13. Hard to tell at that photo angle. It doesn't appear to be a P7M10 which has a little more " blocky " appearance, but I may be wrong. Should have kept mine.

Bob

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review!

That should make the wait for the light A LOT easier.

recce556

Newly Enlightened

Sorry for the beamshot photos, I've been pulling 12 hour+ days and haven't had a chance to get the photos done...hopefully I'll get them done before the lights actually start to ship.:oops:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry for the beamshot photos, I've been pulling 12 hour+ days and haven't had a chance to get the photos done...hopefully I'll get them done before the lights actually start to ship.:oops:

Thanks for the trouble of posting the review in the first place. It's been most helpful.