Quick review - Novatac EDC-120T (Now with Beam Shots!)

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Quick review - Novatac EDC-120T

You will be able to remove the "lens nut" as it is called, with a little bit of effort. I have it on good authority.

Karl

mightysparrow

Enlightened

Recce556: thanks for the interesting review. It makes the wait for my lights a little easier. It would surprise me if the lens on the production model had a yellow tint caused by "cheap" plastic - maybe I'm being naive about cost-cutting and marketing, but I would hope the quality of this light would at least approximate the quality of the old EDC brand. After all, why put AR coating on a yellowish lens? I'll keep my fingers crossed as I await my lights....:candle:

boosterboy

Enlightened

Great review. I have one pre-ordered also.
Cool P7M8 (or is it P7M10?), on of the best if not the best known.
As long as we are talking about switch, I believe your selector is missing a position which points to the rear. Just kidding!:)

no hole where the DIAS pin would be;)

sid

Newly Enlightened

whats the name of the first flashlight in this pic :

EDC120T-1.jpg

thx

sid

Newly Enlightened

ah thx,
i found one for 39€ i just orderd one, it looks neat :)

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened

Any estimates on how easy/hard it would be to extract the light engine, e.g. for an LED upgrade (when something new shows up on the market) or to replace the reflector with an optic?

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, err, no, at least not until the light is actually out in the hands of some members.....;)

Karl

faco

Enlightened

Any info on how the clip's going to attach?

~Chip

Hope this helps...........

I was told the clip will be oriented for bezel down carry :thumbsup: As for how its attached....... not sure. If its as strong as the McGizmo clip I'll be :twothumbs

wvaltakis2

Enlightened

Hope this helps...........

I was told the clip will be oriented for bezel down carry :thumbsup: As for how its attached....... not sure. If its as strong as the McGizmo clip I'll be :twothumbs

Not really, but thanks anyway. I was more wondering if my Ti HDS clips will fit it or if they changed that as well to make things difficult.

~Chip

recce556

Newly Enlightened

Ok, so I took a couple of quick beamshots. Obviously not too scientific but at least it gives you SOME idea. Also, please disregard the color. I didn't have my color temp set right. These are way more "colorful" than in reality but you can see the tint difference between the EDC's LED and the SF Scout's...the DX upgraded 6P is close in color to the EDC. These shots were about two feet from the wall.

Now this first one is of the EDC-120T vs. the Surefire Scout which has a KL4 head. You can see that the spill beam is much wider on the Scout which makes it a perfect weapon light for CQB applications...however, at distance, the EDC-120T offers a bit more light since it has a tighter hotspot.
EDC120T_vs_SFScout.jpg

Next up is the DX upgraded 6P vs. the EDC-120T. The 6P/DX combo has a much tighter hotspot compared to the EDC-120T. I'm actually quite impressed by the DX's performance, especially for $12! I just wish the build quality was better and it would be nice if it would fit flush without modding in the 6P and the G2's but for $12, I guess you can't ask for too much.

The artifacts in the beam of the 6P/DX is due to the polymer lens being a little messed up (got some chemicals on it). It's still clear but it has some "veins" in it. Unfortunately, I can't change the lens on this one.
EDC120T_vs_SF6P-DX.jpg

Hope these are the type of photos you guys were looking for.

Buffalohump

Enlightened

Quite an honour to do the first review of one of the mostly eagerly anticipated lights in recent memory. Exceptional work, and may I compliment you on your fine choice of weapons. :twothumbs

Good to finally see this light in the flesh so to speak.

The end of July is the release date, not so? I'll be dialling in to see what the impressions are, as will many others here, no doubt.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like that wide spill on the Scout! It looks like the SSC P4 compares very favorable to a Lux V.

Last edited:

GreenArcher

Newly Enlightened

Is there a way for the EDC-120T to default to the 0.3lux as the default ON setting instead of the MAX? Does it remember its previous ON setting? I would really like it if it can be configured to go from min-mid-max instead of max-mid-min, for my usage.

recce556

Newly Enlightened

Thanks again for the compliments. Yes, it is a honor to be able to T&E this light. It has very quickly become my favorite carry light. In regards to the the ship date, as far as I know, end of July is the target.

Luxlover - the grey ring on the tail cap is a rubber piece. I assume it's to keep the battery firmly in place. It's about 1/2" tall (about the depth of the tail cap) and it's the same dia. as a CR123. As for the head, the metal "rings" are just that, metal. The black material in between seems like a hard plastic or rubber. The thin (you can barely make it out) outermost ring is actually a threaded locking ring which, I assume, when unscrewed, would let you remove the LED unit as it can not come out from the front. It could also be part of the LED unit itself and not just a ring. I tried to take it out but it was really in there and I don't have the proper tool(s).

In the interest of sharing more info, I took apart the head once again but this time took photos of the reflector and of the LED unit.

EDC120T-5.jpg

EDC120T-6.jpg

EDC120T-7.jpg

I have NO IDEA what that black hole in the LED unit is...it LOOKS like a sensor but I couldn't figure it out.

Last edited: