RARE MAGLITES

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
They only make a 7... so is the extra cell some sort of permanent enhancement that's installed by a pro? Or is it removable?

Oh, I don't have an 8D Mag. But a few other companies made them. Only slighter longer than a 7D Mag since the Mag switch takes up so much internal real estate.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
All of the LED models, except the Solitaire and Mini-Mags are shorter than their incandescent counterparts. My 3C cell LED is nearly the same length as my older 2C cell inca. models.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_1756.jpeg

How 'bout a 10D? (6+4)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
All of the LED models, except the Solitaire and Mini-Mags are shorter than their incandescent counterparts. My 3C cell LED is nearly the same length as my older 2C cell inca. models.
The switch area of ML models is shorter than the incan counterparts. An incan 2C is nearly the length of a 3 cell ML50.

LED minimags are longer. Bigger head are to achieve the incan minimag type throw. Solitaire's are practically the same length.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Are we still talking about flashlights?
Ask a Urologist for their professional opinion.
They've seen more "Maglites" than anyone else.
An average hard Maglite is 5.1D in length.
Yup. So anything longer than that is actually abnormal.
Then again, who wants normal when you can have freakishly huge. 😉

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
One can buy extensions, (lumencraft sell 1 and 2D) and make 20D maglite if they want.
As far as swinging, 3D is ideal size and weight, bigger lights are heavier longer and will not make a hit much harder, they may even make it weaker, or make you miss altogether. 6D is good for intimidation, but to actually swing it efficiently, they are not good at all.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! I wholeheartedly agree with you. My small block vs big block comment was a joke. Was that really not obvious?
Cool, I get ya. Now, if you were to offer me one of them all-Al ZL-1 engines, I'd probably be tempted to go with the big block:) (and by the way I did drive a 396 for a while as a kid)

They did an anniversary run of 427 of them a few years back, and people bought 'em like hotcakes, for pretty healthy coin. Maybe like a commemorative Maglite edition! They don't come cheap though ($24,200 recently):

Last edited:

borrower

Enlightened
Couple of 6c mags on the 'bay right now. Not cheap, but in the ballpark.

**Not mine**
So just for closure, those were 160 and 150 respectively, plus a little shipping. Both were in pretty decent shape. The 160 one sold for its price; the 150 one was 'best offer accepted', so not quite 150 (but, I think, pretty close because of how it sits in a sorted list of completed items). There's also a 7D -- not in fabulous shape but not super kicked or corroded -- on right now for what I consider an insane price (449). Also not mine.

There was also a red 7d that went by for about 350... I've never seen one in red!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
eBay's research tool shows the actual selling prices (which is sometimes hilarous when you see a bunch of "$200 or best offer" items and they all sold for $15 after months of inactivity.) The $150 one went for $130. That's still shocking to me because I remember when these were $30 in the recent past, but right now certain Mag and Surefire models have gone to the moon. One interesting thing is that it still seems to be a fairly small collecting community. You see a few Mags go for high prices and it's often the same couple buyers.

7D's have always had a big fan following. $300+ isn't that unusual these days. That red one was probably very fairly priced, at least for the person who can drop that kind of cash.

Edit: The flip side of this is that outside of a few popular models, there's not a lot of action out there. If you wanted to assemble a 1980s Mag collection you could get all but four sizes for $10 a pop if you had some patience.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I chuckled at post #1777 when borrower said "plus a little shipping". There was a time when shipping was more than some of the lights I bought a few years back since the light itself was priced so low.

Last edited: